• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Baseball in 2020?

Lhalo

So, I just heard what appears be yet another trial balloon for a 3-month season with the teams grouped into 3 10-team divisions -- West, Central and East. Apparently DH for all. It was just a headline and I didn't hear any details.

The problem is that all of these exotic work-arounds, even without fans, involve hundreds of people for every game at every location utilized. If they use one stadium for six teams to play 3 games each every day, the cleaning crews between games will be huge. Will they disinfect the artificial turf after each game? 

I also heard from scientists on a lot of these plans, especially those involving stadia in the more free-wheeling Southern states. By July, all of those places will likely look like New York and New Jersey look right now. 

Color me dubious about all of it.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2020/04/28/mlb-optimistic-about-starting-season-late-june/3039275001/

MLB discussing plan to start season in late June, playing in home stadiums with realigned league

Here's a look at the possible realignment structure:

EAST

• New York Yankees and Mets, Boston Red Sox, Washington Nationals, Baltimore Orioles, Philadelphia Phillies, Pittsburgh Pirates, Toronto Blue Jays, Tampa Bay Rays, Miami Marlins

WEST

• Los Angeles Dodgers and Angels, San Francisco Giants, Oakland Athletics, San Diego Padres, Arizona Diamondbacks, Colorado Rockies, Texas Rangers, Houston Astros, Seattle Mariners

CENTRAL

• Chicago Cubs and Chicago White Sox, Milwaukee Brewers, St. Louis Cardinals, Kansas City Royals, Cincinnati Reds, Cleveland Indians, Minnesota Twins, Atlanta Braves, Detroit Tigers

On 4/27/2020 at 1:22 PM, RendZone said:

A fall mega tournament with a baseball World Cup format. 

Are we really supposed to take this baseball season seriously. With no fans, neutral stadiums, partial schedule, overly generous playoff qualifiers. This is a MLB dog and pony show. 

Why in the fuck would you complain about actual games being played. You are such a horse's ass. 

On 4/28/2020 at 2:18 PM, eligrba4ever said:

So, I just heard what appears be yet another trial balloon for a 3-month season with the teams grouped into 3 10-team divisions -- West, Central and East. Apparently DH for all. It was just a headline and I didn't hear any details.

The problem is that all of these exotic work-arounds, even without fans, involve hundreds of people for every game at every location utilized. If they use one stadium for six teams to play 3 games each every day, the cleaning crews between games will be huge. Will they disinfect the artificial turf after each game? 

I also heard from scientists on a lot of these plans, especially those involving stadia in the more free-wheeling Southern states. By July, all of those places will likely look like New York and New Jersey look right now. 

Color me dubious about all of it.

Same here.

The 'experts' who are now basically running the country are saying the pandemic will be with us for at least two more years. Indefinite shutdown will be their marching orders. We're basically screwed and it might take a revolution to reverse this madness.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronavirus-pandemic-two-years-70-percent-immunity/

12 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Baseball certainly thinks they will be playing this year.  So if baseball thinks they will play this year, there is about a 0% chance they will cancel this year AND next year.  

If a MLB team somehow has an unexpected Covid-19 outbreak of infected regular players you can bet that the entire league would come to a screeching halt. They had better get this right. 

29 minutes ago, Blarg said:

The two year projecting isn't full lockdown, it just means the virus hasn't been irradicated. Until a vaccine is created the virus will continue to exist but not in this level of threat. 

I hope you're right. There was a second wave of the 1918 flu in late summer and early Fall that killed many more people than the first one. October was an especially horrible month.

45 minutes ago, RendZone said:

If a MLB team somehow has an unexpected Covid-19 outbreak of infected regular players you can bet that the entire league would come to a screeching halt. They had better get this right. 

Yes of course.  

For those who pay attention to history and immunology, the high probability for a second and third outbreak that should make people pause.  This virus is probably not a one-and-done public health concern.  The rationale for trying to figure out how to play sports safely is more likely for the fans than the businesses.  Sports will contribute a sense of normalcy to a public in desperate need for something during this pandemic.

On the other hand, there's the fact that government doesn't like to roll back restrictive or confiscatory policies once they implement them and get the masses to obey. Taxes and fees are rarely reduced unless the People intervene in an extraordinary way (such as Prop 13, for example).

They've shut down more and more categories of life and commerce and the economy is collapsing but they keep moving the goalposts from their podiums, knowing the people obey their executive orders. Anyone questioning Dr Fauci and the other 'experts' is shouted down. They told us for weeks not to wear masks, that they were useless. Then suddenly one day we were told to wear them or we would be killing people. Just like that. But the 'experts' are infallible. Right..

My guess is in Ca the at risk people (the elderly) are more likely to be conservative than the younger people.  So wouldn’t it be in the libs best interest to kill off some old conservatives?  Also common sense tells you that Ca is not going to go back to conservative in our life time (#link).  So why would Newsome kill the economy to expand his base which is ALWAYS going to be his base here.

1 hour ago, fan_since79 said:

On the other hand, there's the fact that government doesn't like to roll back restrictive or confiscatory policies once they implement them and get the masses to obey. Taxes and fees are rarely reduced unless the People intervene in an extraordinary way (such as Prop 13, for example).

They've shut down more and more categories of life and commerce and the economy is collapsing but they keep moving the goalposts from their podiums, knowing the people obey their executive orders. Anyone questioning Dr Fauci and the other 'experts' is shouted down. They told us for weeks not to wear masks, that they were useless. Then suddenly one day we were told to wear them or we would be killing people. Just like that. But the 'experts' are infallible. Right..

What makes experts experts is that they know enough to make adjustments based on actual data.  People who have no idea how science works say such things about experts.

1 hour ago, eligrba said:

What makes experts experts is that they know enough to make adjustments based on actual data.  People who have no idea how science works say such things about experts.

A good friend of mine a few weeks ago:  “Not everything is rocket science, but when something is, put a rocket scientist in charge. I'm going to listen to our medical experts, not someone shooting fom the hip.”