• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Changes you would like to see at a renovated or brand new Angel Stadium?

BTH

I'm fond of the Big A and I think everyone will be fine if we just give the old girl another facelift......but now that the Rangers have a new home, our park will be the fourth best in the AL West....and that's only because the A's play in an f'ing dump.    A nice new high tech park with tons of old school style would certainly work for me.     I'd even be in favor of a retractable roof....we could leave it open most of the time and close it for those toasty afternoon games that I find myself avoiding as I get older and the climate gets warmer.

I wish they would do something to make the stadium more kid friendly. It stinks that behind the rocks you have absolutely no view of the field anymore. When my kids were younger they loved being back there because sitting in a seat for 2 hours isn't happening (We'd only ever make it that long) . But then I'd be stuck not actually watching any of the game since there are no TVs and you can't see the field. 

I have a feeling it will take a couple years but eventually there will be a new stadium built in the parking lot. It would've been sooner if not for this mess we are in. 

Personally, i dont mind the stadium at all. I care more about the on field product.

Ive been to some of the really nice stadiums out there. SF is pretty badass, to be honest. And i liked houston. Fenway is great. But as cool as some of the newer parks are, meh, none of it is necessary, to me.

If i had my choice, it would be the area outside the stadium to renovate. Bars and restaurants....that would make the whole thing a better experience. 

2 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Personally, i dont mind the stadium at all. I care more about the on field product.

Ive been to some of the really nice stadiums out there. SF is pretty badass, to be honest. And i liked houston. Fenway is great. But as cool as some of the newer parks are, meh, none of it is necessary, to me.

If i had my choice, it would be the area outside the stadium to renovate. Bars and restaurants....that would make the whole thing a better experience. 

I completely agree. 

I'd love to see a baseball specific stadium like Petco or the Giants stadium. I would like to see Arte build the "A Town" or whatever around the stadium with more restaurants, shops, bars, breweries, etc. I can't stand the Rock Pile or the half wall out in right field. It's old and needs more than just a face lift, it needs to be torn down and build up. 

13 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Absolutely true, but there could definitely be some in stadium improvements. 

It's definitely the most blah stadium I've been to. I guess the must defining feature is the rock pile. But you could put the stadium anywhere in the US and it would be just as representative of wherever it is as it is of Orange County. 

In addition to the lack of character on the aesthetic side, there are some changes that could make the game day and viewing experience better. I'd like to see larger concourses and improved areas for food service. I'd also like to see more escalators. 

I think the neighborhood surrounding the stadium has been getting more fun over the last 20 years and it will continue to get better. The city and the Ducks are developing things and I'm sure the Angels will develop more on their parking lots, too.

43 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

Absolutely true, but there could definitely be some in stadium improvements. 

It's definitely the most blah stadium I've been to. I guess the must defining feature is the rock pile. But you could put the stadium anywhere in the US and it would be just as representative of wherever it is as it is of Orange County. 

In addition to the lack of character on the aesthetic side, there are some changes that could make the game day and viewing experience better. I'd like to see larger concourses and improved areas for food service. I'd also like to see more escalators. 

I think the neighborhood surrounding the stadium has been getting more fun over the last 20 years and it will continue to get better. The city and the Ducks are developing things and I'm sure the Angels will develop more on their parking lots, too.

You bring up some good points.  First off, lets start by upgrading the complete dogshit selection of food choices within the stadium.  They are awful.  I hate paying $6.00 for a boiled Weinerschnitzel hot dog.  Jersey Mike's?  Panda Express?  Seriously?  Hell, I'd take Chronic Tacos again.

The problem with upgrading the surrounding area of the stadium is twofold.... Most people drive to the stadium from far away places.  There is no "entertainment area" luring them into the stadium, like Petco Park. Oracle Park in SF, or Chase Field.  Angel stadium is an asphalt jungle.  Even JT Schmid's and The Catch are quite a distance from the actual stadium and I don't know how that could be changed aside from redeveloping the parking lots.

Another issue is the railroad tracks and the freeway that run outside the parking area.  Any development to bring in any bars, restaurants, or walkways would have to deal with these.  I can't see any way to develop the areas to make it more like Petco or Oracle Parks.

Like @ten ocho recon scout, I don't mind the stadium itself.  I'm more interested in the product ON the field.  But if I had to choose, it would be better sight lines, and upgrade the food choices, because they suck.

I have to say, much of what makes many baseball stadiums attractive is the sightlines *outside* of the park - what makes SF's stadium special is the spectacular sightlines to SF Bay, Camdem Yards has the B&O Warehouse and while the Ballmer skyline isn't all that, the park feels organic.  Even Nats park nearly has a view of the Capitol building.  

If you could just move Anaheim to a bluff overlooking the Pacific, you might have something 😉

If I were Arte, I'd solicit for some new architectural ideas.  In the end, I'm sure it'll be the same old cookie-cookie modern stadium, but who knows?   Also better seats, better sightlines, and try to bring more seats closer to the field.  Maybe think about some environmental controls (not such a problem in SoCal, but an August Day game in DC or Baltimore, with the temp and the humidity in the high 90's, and the field temp in the 100's is miserable - and there are almost no places to go to cool off.)  Maybe light-filtering retractable awnings, etc.   

Obviously, technology would play central part (order and automated food delivery, for example)

But there has to be some local cultural touchstones, too, in the area of food. 

Whether a Ben's half-smoke, or Boogs BBQ, or a Primanti Brothers sandwich, or garlic fries or jerk chicken nachos, or federal donuts chicken - a stadium these days needs spectacular, signature food offerings.  Angels stadium needs to step up its game, there, a lot.  Dump the Aramarks and Sodexo and get legit local legends.  

A legit in-house microbrewery wouldn't be the worst thing, either.  

1 hour ago, DCAngelsFan said:

I have to say, much of what makes many baseball stadiums attractive is the sightlines *outside* of the park - what makes SF's stadium special is the spectacular sightlines to SF Bay, Camdem Yards has the B&O Warehouse and while the Ballmer skyline isn't all that, the park feels organic.  Even Nats park nearly has a view of the Capitol building.  

If you could just move Anaheim to a bluff overlooking the Pacific, you might have something 😉

If I were Arte, I'd solicit for some new architectural ideas.  In the end, I'm sure it'll be the same old cookie-cookie modern stadium, but who knows?   Also better seats, better sightlines, and try to bring more seats closer to the field.  Maybe think about some environmental controls (not such a problem in SoCal, but an August Day game in DC or Baltimore, with the temp and the humidity in the high 90's, and the field temp in the 100's is miserable - and there are almost no places to go to cool off.)  Maybe light-filtering retractable awnings, etc.   

Obviously, technology would play central part (order and automated food delivery, for example)

But there has to be some local cultural touchstones, too, in the area of food. 

Whether a Ben's half-smoke, or Boogs BBQ, or a Primanti Brothers sandwich, or garlic fries or jerk chicken nachos, or federal donuts chicken - a stadium these days needs spectacular, signature food offerings.  Angels stadium needs to step up its game, there, a lot.  Dump the Aramarks and Sodexo and get legit local legends.  

A legit in-house microbrewery wouldn't be the worst thing, either.  

I was going to say better hot dogs, but I guess this could work, too.

3 hours ago, PattyD22 said:

You bring up some good points.  First off, lets start by upgrading the complete dogshit selection of food choices within the stadium.  They are awful.  I hate paying $6.00 for a boiled Weinerschnitzel hot dog.  Jersey Mike's?  Panda Express?  Seriously?  Hell, I'd take Chronic Tacos again.

The problem with upgrading the surrounding area of the stadium is twofold.... Most people drive to the stadium from far away places.  There is no "entertainment area" luring them into the stadium, like Petco Park. Oracle Park in SF, or Chase Field.  Angel stadium is an asphalt jungle.  Even JT Schmid's and The Catch are quite a distance from the actual stadium and I don't know how that could be changed aside from redeveloping the parking lots.

Another issue is the railroad tracks and the freeway that run outside the parking area.  Any development to bring in any bars, restaurants, or walkways would have to deal with these.  I can't see any way to develop the areas to make it more like Petco or Oracle Parks.

Like @ten ocho recon scout, I don't mind the stadium itself.  I'm more interested in the product ON the field.  But if I had to choose, it would be better sight lines, and upgrade the food choices, because they suck.

I think a lot of the issue with the food is that the stadium just wasn't designed for modern stadium good service. It's designed to handle boiled hot dogs.

Better sight lines

Better outfield seats. Thinking RF in SF, LF in KC & Houston.  The current LF "family" pavillion is horrible. 

More/better places to stand and watch the game... with counters to put food/drink. Philadelphia has such areas on their top level.  I think Minnesota, too. Seattle has great spots to hang out.  

Better/more bars restaurants with AC.  Seattle's got a great setup on their club level... which can be accessed by ticket holders on the field level. Minnesota has something similar... for their cold weather.  

Better craft beer selection.  

Bigger/better team stores.  Seattle's is great.  St Louis has an entire store with game used stuff.  Some spring training parks are better (Cubs, for instance)

Something  somewhat unique and/or cool.  I'm thinking about the chain link fence in the OF in SF.  It's for groups, but it's easy to sneak into. SD's sand.  Wacky dimensions.   A nice Angels Hall of Fame (KC's is great)

On 4/28/2020 at 12:01 PM, PattyD22 said:

It would be a more long term project, and doubt there would even be money for it. But theres open space up and down St College.... that might work.

Maybe add to the area around the grove?