• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Last Dance

53 minutes ago, Keener said:

Recorded, not yet watched.

Wife was a big Jordan/Bulls fan in that era.  I actively rooted against them, like I usually do with the best players/teams.  Lol.  No denying how good they were, as well as how compelling they were as a group.  Players and management.  I am looking forward to watching.

I hated them too, because i was such a diehard magic / showtime fan. But jordan was an absolute beast.

Pretty pumped to see it.

36 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I was reading some articles about how it was taped back then and the production. I didn't plan to watch it, but probably will.

My first Finals I ever watched was in 1991 when we lost to the Bulls and the start of their three-peat.

Im a homer, but i still say showtime would have beat the bulls.

2 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Im a homer, but i still say showtime would have beat the bulls.

Certainly during the second three-peat. The Bulls really didn't have anyone close to their level of competition. The Bulls were so good that it masked how mediocre the East was.

In '91, MJ seemed on a mission, and the most impressive of their titles to me was '93, because that was a great Suns team. So I'm not sure if Showtime would have beaten them.

But to be honest, I don't really remember the Showtime Lakers, so maybe I'm wrong. 

4 minutes ago, SoPas Angel said:

Certainly during the second three-peat. The Bulls really didn't have anyone close to their level of competition. The Bulls were so good that it masked how mediocre the East was.

In '91, MJ seemed on a mission, and the most impressive of their titles to me was '93, because that was a great Suns team. So I'm not sure if Showtime would have beaten them.

But to be honest, I don't really remember the Showtime Lakers, so maybe I'm wrong. 

Jordan dominated everyone from that era.... nobody can ever say it was cheap, because some of the greatest all time was that era. He blocked a ton of guys, over several years. And he was better than magic.

But showtime, especially before kareem got old overnight, was insane. When kareem got old, riley asked magic to become the number 1 scorer... and magic responded with back to back mvps.... before that, magic was number 3 scorer, behind kareem and worthy...

The 91 lakers / bulls series was a letdown, because worthy was out after game 1, and if i remember correctly, scott was also hurt.

They were also old by that point.

At their peak, i think the lakers had the better overall team.

I was a little too young for the Showtime era, but when you have dudes like Byron Scott coming off the bench, your team is stacked.

I hated the Bulls, but always liked Scottie Pippen....especially when he jammed on Patrick Ewing and stood over him. Just complete disrespect.

Let's see, if I remember correctly, those Bulls were:

PG: BJ Armstrong

SG: MJ

SF: Pippen

PF: Horace Grant

Center (since typing c with a : creates a smiley emoji): Bill Cartwright and the ugliest shot anyone has ever seen

4 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Jordan dominated everyone from that era.... nobody can ever say it was cheap, because some of the greatest all time was that era. He blocked a ton of guys, over several years. And he was better than magic.

But showtime, especially before kareem got old overnight, was insane. When kareem got old, riley asked magic to become the number 1 scorer... and magic responded with back to back mvps.... before that, magic was number 3 scorer, behind kareem and worthy...

The 91 lakers / bulls series was a letdown, because worthy was out after game 1, and if i remember correctly, scott was also hurt.

They were also old by that point.

At their peak, i think the lakers had the better overall team.

Yeah, I think Elden Campbell hit a big three to win game one before we lost the next four in a row.

8 minutes ago, Brandon said:

The crazy thing, is that Lakers team in '93 as an 8 seed almost beat the Suns. It was the first round, so best of 5 and we were up 2-0....if I remember correctly. Then the Suns won the next three to win the series. I think that was the Anthony Peeler and Cedric Ceballos days.

Yep, you remember correctly. Up 2-0 and coming back to L.A. for games 3 and 4. That series was a kick in the balls. 

16 minutes ago, Brandon said:

The crazy thing, is that Lakers team in '93 as an 8 seed almost beat the Suns. It was the first round, so best of 5 and we were up 2-0....if I remember correctly. Then the Suns won the next three to win the series. I think that was the Anthony Peeler and Cedric Ceballos days.

Although Ceballos was still on the Suns. He was traded to the Lakers a year and a half later, right before the start of the '94 season. 

1 minute ago, SoPas Angel said:

Yep, you remember correctly. Up 2-0 and coming back to L.A. for games 3 and 4. That series was a kick in the balls. 

Dude, it still bugs me.

We have had some killer teams and won a bunch, but when I was a kid seeing us up 2-0 and coming back to LA I thought for sure we would get one game and advance. It would have been an upset for the ages.....the first #8 seed to win and against a stacked team that had Kevin Johnson, Dan Majerle, Charles Barkley, and Danny Ainge. Just nuts if it would have happened.

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

Dude, it still bugs me.

We have had some killer teams and won a bunch, but when I was a kid seeing us up 2-0 and coming back to LA I thought for sure we would get one game and advance. It would have been an upset for the ages.....the first #8 seed to win and against a stacked team that had Kevin Johnson, Dan Majerle, Charles Barkley, and Danny Ainge. Just nuts if it would have happened.

I went to Magic's basketball camp in the summer of '91, three months before his abrupt retirement. He was my favorite player by far, so his retirement was devastating to me as a kid. That first round would have been magical if they pulled it off, just what Lakers fans needed.

Of course, three years later they landed Shaq, Kobe, and Fisher in the same offseason, which lessened the sting of that '93 series....

8 minutes ago, SoPas Angel said:

I went to Magic's basketball camp in the summer of '91, three months before his abrupt retirement. He was my favorite player by far, so his retirement was devastating to me as a kid. That first round would have been magical if they pulled it off, just what Lakers fans needed.

Of course, three years later they landed Shaq, Kobe, and Fisher in the same offseason, which lessened the sting of that '93 series....

Yeah.

I liken it to when you hear poker players talk and I think it was even in the start of the movie Rounders. I've won many tournaments and had good cash game session in poker, but we always remember the bad beats and big pots we lost more than the wins.

Just now, Brandon said:

Side note, I think Kobe was the only bench player selected for the all-star team, is that correct?

He was definitely selected as a starter for the West his second year, when he was 19 and still a bench player for the Lakers.

But I do not know if he was the only one. My guess would be yes - I can't think of who else that would have happened to - but I just don't know.