• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Moving on from Simmons?

floplag

19 hours ago, Stradling said:

I might be the only one that doesn’t see Fletcher as a SS.  I prefer him at 2nd, 3rd and probably left field before SS.  As a guy that can fill in at SS for a day off he is fine.  But as your everyday SS, I just think we will be disappointed defensively.  Think of it as the reverse Eckstein.  We thought Eckstein was good until we got Orlando Cabrera.

I agree completely.  In fact i dont see Rengifo as a SS either personally.  Sure, either could play the spot, fill in here and there, but that doesnt mean they play it at a higher level.
Defense up the middle is something that will be critical to this clubs success in my view, i think it would be a huge mistake to simply plug in a cheaper option.   It isnt like Simmons is THAT over payed.  Youre not going to get the same quality for much less if you could at all. 

20 minutes ago, floplag said:

I agree completely.  In fact i dont see Rengifo as a SS either personally.  Sure, either could play the spot, fill in here and there, but that doesnt mean they play it at a higher level.
Defense up the middle is something that will be critical to this clubs success in my view, i think it would be a huge mistake to simply plug in a cheaper option.   It isnt like Simmons is THAT over payed.  Youre not going to get the same quality for much less if you could at all. 

Rengifo has the athleticism to become a solid SS.  No one is Simmons.  But if you can get 80% of Simmon’s total value for 5% of the cost, you have to at least consider it.  But my guess is if this season is cancelled we could see Simmons come back on a very friendly contract.  

1 hour ago, floplag said:

Yes, i read it... but there was ample time prior to that. 

Having never actually run a MLB franchise I'll have to defer to you when you say there was ample time.   But, from what I can gather from being a fan, they had an entire year still.   I'm guessing they prioritize things according to urgency and given the existence of both Rengifo and Fletcher, they might not view a ST extension was a pressing matter.

1 hour ago, floplag said:

Weve speculated here before about such things, the fact that there was no conversations at all prior to Corona is somewhat telling as well i would think. 

There will always be speculation/discussion..   People are free to assume whatever they want  bu I don't believe anything that's happened is making an argument in one direction or another.  The fact that the GM of the team, the guy that would initiate those sorts of things said they have had internal conversations about resigning him is also telling, I would think.

This crap is going to play itself out and as I believe Claude pointed out, without the ability to have a bounce back season this situation may end up working in the Angels favor.

FWIW, Flop...  I actually think you're likely right and they see the in house options and holes in the rotation and are leaning towards letting him go.  I just don't think there was much to that article other than a passing mention.

8 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

My son was laid off from his part time job March 17. He was taking home ~$420/wk. His unemployment is paying him $286+$600 more per week. He is now making twice his salary at $886/wk for staying home. What a country...

Sooo...the Angels should keep Simmons?

I'll admit, your analogy is confusing to me.

🤪

9 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

My son was laid off from his part time job March 17. He was taking home ~$420/wk. His unemployment is paying him $286+$600 more per week. He is now making twice his salary at $886/wk for staying home. What a country...

So you are saying it’s better to stay in house with Rengifo or Fletcher?

9 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

He should contact the Josh Hamilton Investment Group to help him manage his new found wealth.

10 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

When reading this it helps to do it using Yakov Smirnoff's voice.

3 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Thats the one thing i keep bringing up thats funny about a pandemic.

Mookie, and the dodgers finally allowing their games to be on tv.

Then hahaha, global catastrophe. 

It almost makes it worth it.

On 4/23/2020 at 8:40 AM, Inside Pitch said:

Having never actually run a MLB franchise I'll have to defer to you when you say there was ample time.   But, from what I can gather from being a fan, they had an entire year still.   I'm guessing they prioritize things according to urgency and given the existence of both Rengifo and Fletcher, they might not view a ST extension was a pressing matter.

There will always be speculation/discussion..   People are free to assume whatever they want  bu I don't believe anything that's happened is making an argument in one direction or another.  The fact that the GM of the team, the guy that would initiate those sorts of things said they have had internal conversations about resigning him is also telling, I would think.

This crap is going to play itself out and as I believe Claude pointed out, without the ability to have a bounce back season this situation may end up working in the Angels favor.

FWIW, Flop...  I actually think you're likely right and they see the in house options and holes in the rotation and are leaning towards letting him go.  I just don't think there was much to that article other than a passing mention.

its at least the third such article ive read in the off season spring training timeline, which i why i say ample time.  But it is of course just speculation i have no inside knowledge it just seems waiting till the last minute isnt a great negotiating tactic. 

On 4/23/2020 at 8:01 AM, Stradling said:

Rengifo has the athleticism to become a solid SS.  No one is Simmons.  But if you can get 80% of Simmon’s total value for 5% of the cost, you have to at least consider it.  But my guess is if this season is cancelled we could see Simmons come back on a very friendly contract.  

The key here is to become... at what point is that a reasonable expectation?  What do we do if he doesnt?   Simmons to me isnt overpayed and even if his contract doesn't exist at all it doesn't relieve enough to take on a front line starter which would be the only justifiable reason.
I hope youre right on the moving forward, i guess time will tell. 

13 minutes ago, floplag said:

The key here is to become... at what point is that a reasonable expectation?  What do we do if he doesnt?   Simmons to me isnt overpayed and even if his contract doesn't exist at all it doesn't relieve enough to take on a front line starter which would be the only justifiable reason.
I hope youre right on the moving forward, i guess time will tell. 

I have no idea if the team is moving on from Simmons, as a matter of fact in a similar thread earlier in the off season I predicted that the Angels would sign him to an extension.  However every dollar spent on Simmons is a dollar not spent on pitching.  So if by chance the Angels had the opportunity to sign a guy like Bauer or the guy from the Mets that is going to be a free agent or another quality starter and that meant not giving $10-16 million to Simmons then it is what it is.  

I wouldn’t read into anything about them having not discussed a discussion yet. Think it was always going to be a wait and see depending on how this year went. Whether or not Fletcher or Rengifo showed enough to take SS, or if either wound up being dealt for legit pitching help.

I think the Angels always were banking on Simmons turning a corner offensively - he showed it at times - the high contact, hard contact profile that Eppler liked hinted he could step forward into something special, and a bat that aged well. But it hasn’t really happened. The consistency hasn’t been there, too many little injuries...the defense is otherworldly but not cost-efficient in his 30’s if his bat didn’t turn some sort of corner.