• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Moving on from Simmons?

floplag

So ive been reading this week that there has been literally no discussion about an extension prior to the freeze and i was somewhat disappointed in this.
I was hoping they would retain him for a couple more years personally.  I dont see an obvious heir apparent, at least not one with his toolkit, and without front line pitching defense up the middle is critical.
Thoughts?

Personally, I would like to see the Angels keep Simmons. His defense is a plus over anything we have in our system right now. However, I think it depends on how much Simmons believes in his worth. The Angels should offer him a fair price with a moderate raise and a reasonable extension in years. (I'll leave those 3 considerations up to Eppler). If Simmons doesn't like the offer, at least the Angels have put the ball in Simmons court, and it will be his decision to make. 

31 minutes ago, floplag said:

So ive been reading this week that there has been literally no discussion about an extension prior to the freeze and i was somewhat disappointed in this.
I was hoping they would retain him for a couple more years personally.  I dont see an obvious heir apparent, at least not one with his toolkit, and without front line pitching defense up the middle is critical.
Thoughts?

If this season is cancelled he’s going to have to sign a cheap deal to stay. He won’t get his bounce-back season opportunity. 

13 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

I would go after Marcus Semien, younger more power not as injury prone

Can only have so many large contracts.   Even after Pujols' contract runs out, that still leaves Rendon's and Trout's (just over $70 million total alone), plus Ohtani after 2023.

If Semien has another strong season like 2019, he will command big money as a FA after 2020 plus will also be 30 then

Best scenario, if Simba signs elsewhere, is to put Rengifo at SS.     

Edited by Angel Oracle

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

Can only have so many large contracts.   Even after Pujols' contract runs out, that still leaves Rendon's and Trout's (just over $70 million total alone), plus Ohtani after 2023.

If Semien has another strong season like 2019, he will command big money as a FA after 2020 plus will also be 30 then

Best scenario, if Simba signs elsewhere, is to put Rengifo at SS.     

3 years 60 mill for Seimen put another solid piece around Trout. 2020 could be totally lost many players against Arizona idea. Angels about 30 mill under lux tax now, if Angels cannot get front line pitching I'd gamble on Seimen.

3 hours ago, floplag said:

Thoughts?

That article quotes Eppler as saying they had had discussions about extending him but since this coronavirus BS, they haven't had any conversations with him or his agents...  You're possibly assuming they are moving on but that's not what the article actually said.  That being said, you use the farm system to bring up cheap controllable players that allow you to spend in other areas.  Luis Rengifo is probably that guy if they do end up moving on from him.  He only logged 83 inning at SS, but managed to post a DRS of 1, and made 11 plays outside of the zone, according to Fangraphs.  He's not Simmons, nobody is but he's likely the better offensive player moving forward.

29 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

That article quotes Eppler as saying they had had discussions about extending him but since this coronavirus BS, they haven't had any conversations with him or his agents...  You're possibly assuming they are moving on but that's not what the article actually said.  That being said, you use the farm system to bring up cheap controllable players that allow you to spend in other areas.  Luis Rengifo is probably that guy if they do end up moving on from him.  He only logged 83 inning at SS, but managed to post a DRS of 1, and made 11 plays outside of the zone, according to Fangraphs.  He's not Simmons, nobody is but he's likely the better offensive player moving forward.

lol @ reading the article

I might be the only one that doesn’t see Fletcher as a SS.  I prefer him at 2nd, 3rd and probably left field before SS.  As a guy that can fill in at SS for a day off he is fine.  But as your everyday SS, I just think we will be disappointed defensively.  Think of it as the reverse Eckstein.  We thought Eckstein was good until we got Orlando Cabrera.

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

I might be the only one that doesn’t see Fletcher as a SS.  I prefer him at 2nd, 3rd and probably left field before SS.  As a guy that can fill in at SS for a day off he is fine.  But as your everyday SS, I just think we will be disappointed defensively.  Think of it as the reverse Eckstein.  We thought Eckstein was good until we got Orlando Cabrera.

No one is even close to Simmons defensively. Only person who sniffs him right now is Mondesi. Then it falls off to guys like Lindor, Story, et al after that. Even if he age-declines he's just coming down to Mondesi's level basically.

If air-tight defense is the goal, they should keep Andrelton.

On 4/20/2020 at 1:08 PM, Inside Pitch said:

Yes, i read it... but there was ample time prior to that.  Weve speculated here before about such things, the fact that there was no conversations at all prior to Corona is somewhat telling as well i would think.