• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Expected to Sign SS Denzer Guzman

On 4/17/2020 at 3:23 PM, Lazorko Saves said:

He's only eligible to sign for the first time in the upcoming July 2 signing period.  It's based on age.

He's already been committed to the Angels for some time already, as is standard practice for a lot of players in non-draft-eligible Latin countries.  He's almost certainly been training with the Angels Dominican Academy already for a long time.

You will notice almost all the high end players signing in the upcoming period from Latin America are already attached to MLB teams via their academies.  You'll see photos with them in affiliate gear long before they sign.  Players make commitments as early as age 13 or 14, but aren't eligible to sign until 16.  Since there's no school based organized baseball in a place like the DR, a 13/14 year old can benefit by taking the free training at an MLB team academy.

There might be underhand stuff going on in the DR, but getting team gear isn't.  That's quite common.

Ummm, Sarcasm...guess it wasn't obvious for you. I'll try harder next time 

6 hours ago, Fourts said:

Ummm, Sarcasm...guess it wasn't obvious for you. I'll try harder next time 

You forgot to add the "Yeah, that's the ticket" at the end.  We both know you were implying something was shady.  Nice try, Lovitz.

Edited by Lazorko Saves

lol, seriously....come on.  We all know it's incredibly shady with the int'l signings.  There's so much happening behind the scenes with these signings.  It's all about relationships with the agent, family, etc.  -- not simply the highest bidder.  There is no implying on that.  It's much worse than high school FB/BB recruiting wars.  Free team gear is laughably the least of any shadiness.

Do you even know how the academy system works in the DR?  Do you even know how incredibly poor most of these kids in the DR are, and would otherwise have absolutely no access to organized baseball without the academies?  Do you even know MLB is working on implementing an international draft in the next year or so that will change the signing process completely?

I got news for you, the MLB money flowing in to support youth baseball in the DR will continue after the draft is implemented.  And that's unambiguously good, not some shady underhandedness.  Places like the DR need financial help for amateur baseball and it's great that MLB provides a lot of that.

Go ahead and worship at that highest bidder altar, there are more important practical needs than telling every 13 year old player in Latin countries they have to stay on those dirt lots until you're 16, because Scott Boras isn't interested in you until then.

I'm not sure why you're going down this long road and argument....seems like you are driving down a one way road.  Kind of odd.  Not sure where it's coming from.  Relax, it's Monday.

I simply made a minor comment about shadiness.  Baseball has been a great opportunity for those in lesser fortunate countries & poverty to have an opportunity for greatness.  But let's not be naive.  It's not all candyland, unicorns and rainbows.  But what is.  So it can be both.  I'm not deriding it.  That's just the world.  Heck, Disneyland is great for the City of Anaheim, creates jobs, SALT for the local government, etc.  But it doesn't come without some warts.   You do realize you can have both good & bad.  Look no further than our own Angels Clay Daniels among others.  I think MLB, not to mention the FBI, might have had some disagreement with your 100% rosy outlook of handlings.  

20 hours ago, Fourts said:

I simply made a minor comment about shadiness.

Nonsense.  You implied that a dirt-poor kid in DR shouldn't even accept a few hundred bucks worth of team gear, let alone thousands of dollars worth of free training via the academy system.  You were clearly unaware that it's MLB sanctioned, and done by all 30 teams as a compromise between your beloved purity of free agency and the economic reality of youth baseball in the DR.  I tried to politely inform you, and your response was to tell me I was too stupid to understand sarcasm.  You fired the first shot.  I stopped being polite after that.

Edited by Lazorko Saves

2 hours ago, Lazorko Saves said:

Nonsense.  You implied that a dirt-poor kid in DR shouldn't even accept a few hundred bucks worth of team gear, let alone thousands of dollars worth of free training via the academy system.  You were clearly unaware that it's MLB sanctioned, and done by all 30 teams as a compromise between your beloved purity of free agency and the economic reality of youth baseball in the DR.  I tried to politely inform you, and your response was to tell me I was too stupid to understand sarcasm.  You fired the first shot.  I stopped being polite after that.

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF