• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Arizona or bust?

DMVol

16 minutes ago, LAAMike said:

Let's get her started in AZ with the balance of the season when the Covid-19 situation allows.  Baseball (any live sports) would be a huge tonic for a bored stay at home nation.  

College football will solve everything in August. It makes no sense playing in empty spring training ballparks and keeping those phony stats that will reflect permanently on the players careers. It would be a glorified exhibition season. 

2 hours ago, RendZone said:

College football will solve everything in August. It makes no sense playing in empty spring training ballparks and keeping those phony stats that will reflect permanently on the players careers. It would be a glorified exhibition season. 

I don't want to wait three and a half months to get my sports viewing fix.

Play ST games in front of empty stadiums.

Then we can only hope that somehow crowds will be fine by late June, and then the season can start then.

Otherwise, It’s a waste of time to play a regular season.

Take it from a guy who watches rasslin in empty facilities.   It ain’t the same.

Edited by Angel Oracle

30 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Play ST games in front of empty stadiums.

Then we can only hope that somehow crowds will be fine by late June, and then the season can start then.

Otherwise, It’s a waste of time to play a regular season.

Take it from a guy who watches rasslin in empty facilities.   It ain’t the same.

kyle broflovski wrestling GIF by South Park

13 hours ago, RendZone said:

Why would the stats be phoney?

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

They wouldn’t be.

Yes they would. Players hitting 30-40 home runs in hot air Arizona in front of zero fans in those quiet no pressure stadiums makes a huge difference. Hopefully there will not be any MLB games played out of desperation in those stadiums that will be counted as regular season games. 

28 minutes ago, RendZone said:

Yes they would. Players hitting 30-40 home runs in hot air Arizona in front of zero fans in those quiet no pressure stadiums makes a huge difference. Hopefully there will not be any MLB games played out of desperation in those stadiums that will be counted as regular season games. 

They'd still have to hit them off of like major league pitchers and stuff. I think anomalous would be a better term than phony. HRs in Fenway, Baltimore, and Colorado still count the same as the ones in San Diego.

1 hour ago, Don said:

They'd still have to hit them off of like major league pitchers and stuff. I think anomalous would be a better term than phony. HRs in Fenway, Baltimore, and Colorado still count the same as the ones in San Diego.

Yep.  Exactly this.  

31 minutes ago, Reveille1984 said:

Imagine how far up your ass that stick has to be that you'd rather have no baseball at all than having a regular season in Arizona/Florida.

Your level of care less for players trying to avoid the CoronaVirus is one thing but to expect players to entertain you in 99-106 degree weather in Tempe or 70% humidity in Tampa is ridiculous. Baseball really doesn’t have that high a level of importance. If you think it does, you’re in trouble. 

Lets not lose sight of the fact that they won’t be playing if the players union doesn’t agree to the conditions.  

I don’t think they should play, but at the same time if the players union agrees to it, I would gladly welcome baseball back into my daily life.  

15 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

A) I personally don't give two shits about college football.

B) I'd prefer a crowd, but crowdless baseball is better than no baseball.

Bring it on. It will be an interesting 100ish game season, with lots of fun anomalous stats. Maybe someone hits .400. 

watch this look here GIF by Paul McCartney

The summer heat in AZ has not come into play yet, since the D-Backs park has always been roof covered.    Games would likely have to start at 8am or maybe 9am. 

It has been tested in FL, by the 1993-2011 Marlins.   Miami gets as hot and humid as any city in Florida. 

As much as I miss MLB, I still stand by my opinion of not caring much for the idea of empty stadium regular season baseball. 

Edited by Angel Oracle

Baseball stats from the split season of 1981 and the strike season of 1994 were kept intact as they were, and became part of the permanent records of players and teams. The only oddity was that there were 'first half/second half' playoff records in 1981 and no playoff records for 1994. No pro rating or artificial manipulation of numbers..

In both seasons, teams played over a hundred games. The schedule was adhered to in 1994 before grinding to a halt. In 1981 they just defined things into before and after and added an extra playoff round. All told, there was enough data to indicate who the better and worse teams and players were, though certainly not the same as full seasons. 1981 at least had the closure of post season play. 1994, still an enigmatic mystery.

If there is a 2020 season of approximately a hundred games, it would have to be treated the same way. Unsatisfactory  because of the break in continuity, but not unprecedented. 

But the real novelty would be if it was played without fans in neutral/unfamiliar settings. You cross the line into the twilight zone in terms of tradition. All stats would be suspect, given the disconnect with normal baseball environments. I would not add the stats from such an artificial season to the career stats of players. Compile them, but keep them separated. 

A full playoff routine still might be feasible, because all teams would have played under the same conditions. But the results should be isolated and not added to the official historic record. All in all the season should be considered a glorified exhibition experiment. Valid as a real competition, but more like a mega spring training deviation. 

162 games is actually a stupidly too long season. This should be an opportunity to lessen the games played in a regular season, ending the regular season August 31st and allowing for more playoff games with the World Series ending in the second week of October. 

Reducing the season to around 140 games and adding more playoff teams makes for better baseball overall. As long as there is equitable profit sharing for the league for accepting fewer regular season games while getting a cut of playoff revenue it should balance out. 

TV, stadium and player contracts would have to restructured but the sell to the union is wear and tear is reduced so players can perform at a higher level for longer.