• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

MLB considering radical realignment for 2020 season: Grapefruit and Cactus leagues

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2020/04/10/mlb-realignment-league-considers-radical-move-for-2020-season/5128935002/

MLB considering radical realignment for 2020 season: Grapefruit and Cactus leagues

Here's a look at one realignment structure:

GRAPEFRUIT LEAGUE

• NORTH: New York Yankees, Philadelphia Phillies, Toronto Blue Jays, Detroit Tigers, Pittsburgh Pirates.
  • SOUTH: Boston Red Sox, Minnesota Twins, Atlanta Braves, Tampa Bay Rays, Baltimore Orioles.
  • EAST: Washington Nationals, Houston Astros, New York Mets, St. Louis Cardinals, Miami Marlins.

CACTUS LEAGUE

• NORTHEAST: Chicago Cubs, San Francisco Giants, Arizona Diamondbacks, Colorado Rockies, Oakland Athletics.
  • WEST: Los Angeles Dodgers, Chicago White Sox, Cincinnati Reds, Cleveland Indians, Los Angeles Angels.
  • NORTHWEST: Milwaukee Brewers, San Diego Padres, Seattle Mariners, Texas Rangers, Kansas City Royals.

I want to see baseball as much as the next guy, but it might be time to just call it.  Put yourself in the shoes of Mike Trout or any number of guys that would have to leave their families for the next six months.  In Trout's case it would be while his wife is pregnant.  Now with this idea of playing basically half and half in Phoenix and Florida, maybe there is a chance the players can rent houses and their families can come stay with them, but then the quarantining would be even more difficult to enforce. 

Also we keep reading about double headers to get in as many games as possible.  How the hell do you do double headers in Arizona in the summer?  Do they only do double headers at Chase Field?  Now picture that scenario, several teams are playing at Chase Field each week, not just the home team (if that even exists in this scenario).  After each team leaves you have to disinfect the entire clubhouse, and all touch point items from where the players enter the stadium down to the field.  Don't get me wrong, it can be done, but once again, more people at risk. 

1 hour ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

GRAPEFRUIT LEAGUE

• NORTH: New York Yankees, Philadelphia Phillies, Toronto Blue Jays, Detroit Tigers, Pittsburgh Pirates.
  • SOUTH: Boston Red Sox, Minnesota Twins, Atlanta Braves, Tampa Bay Rays, Baltimore Orioles.
  • EAST: Washington Nationals, Houston Astros, New York Mets, St. Louis Cardinals, Miami Marlins.

CACTUS LEAGUE

• NORTHEAST: Chicago Cubs, San Francisco Giants, Arizona Diamondbacks, Colorado Rockies, Oakland Athletics.
  • WEST: Los Angeles Dodgers, Chicago White Sox, Cincinnati Reds, Cleveland Indians, Los Angeles Angels.
  • NORTHWEST: Milwaukee Brewers, San Diego Padres, Seattle Mariners, Texas Rangers, Kansas City Royals.

I don’t think it’s necessary to have a 2020 season but if they do this is a good alternative plan. Dodgers vs Angels for the West could make it somewhat entertaining. 

So, basically, a glorified exhibition season.  

Nothing wrong with that, but baseball is about history and tradition - this wouldn't be any kind of a season.  Records, stats, etc - basically, meaningless.

(As an exhibition season, there's no reason to pack a bunch of double-headers together - in the heat of the summer in Arizona outdoor stadiums - doesn't make any kind of sense.)

Right now, I'd just say plan to re-start the season normally on / around June 15th.  Who knows what kind of attendance may be allowed by then - everything from no restrictions to no admittance to a whole spectrum in-between (imagine the promo night give-aways - "Trout n95 mask night!".)     But at least player safety can be managed, if not entire stadiums of people.

If we're still in total lock-down by then, then we may as well cancel baseball forever - b/c the whole country will be an insane asylum. 

4 minutes ago, DCAngelsFan said:

So, basically, a glorified exhibition season.  

Nothing wrong with that, but baseball is about history and tradition - this wouldn't be any kind of a season.  Records, stats, etc - basically, meaningless.

(As an exhibition season, there's no reason to pack a bunch of double-headers together - in the heat of the summer in Arizona outdoor stadiums - doesn't make any kind of sense.)

Right now, I'd just say plan to re-start the season normally on / around June 15th.  Who knows what kind of attendance may be allowed by then - everything from no restrictions to no admittance to a whole spectrum in-between (imagine the promo night give-aways - "Trout n95 mask night!".)     But at least player safety can be managed, if not entire stadiums of people.

If we're still in total lock-down by then, then we may as well cancel baseball forever - b/c the whole country will be an insane asylum. 

They’re not my relatives. Let them risk their lives for our entertainment. 

...Lou 

48C8C6EB-45AB-4FE6-A7B7-3E06DB7EAC17.jpeg

Edited by RendZone

There are things that alignment should be looked at, but doing it for this one abbreviated season if they are planning to have them all within 100 miles anyway then go back to how it was before makes absolutely no sense to me.  It seems like doing something for no reason other than doing something. 
I wouldnt support this idea personally. 
Sidenote, Christ the Yankees might win 75% of games against that division, lol   And our division could be a goddamn nightmare.

7 minutes ago, floplag said:

There are things that alignment should be looked at, but doing it for this one abbreviated season if they are planning to have them all within 100 miles anyway then go back to how it was before makes absolutely no sense to me.  It seems like doing something for no reason other than doing something. 
I wouldnt support this idea personally. 
Sidenote, Christ the Yankees might win 75% of games against that division, lol   And our division could be a goddamn nightmare.

They’d be playing in Az and  in Florida.  So you’d have to create divisions inside those two states so it makes sense to do that in relation to the two states.  

54 minutes ago, Stradling said:

They’d be playing in Az and  in Florida.  So you’d have to create divisions inside those two states so it makes sense to do that in relation to the two states.  

Perhaps i misunderstood that one as i thought this was the AZ only plan.  
IF its in both AZ and FLA then yeah it makes more sense.
Guess i missed that part. 
Still , what not try to organize the AL to AZ and the NL to FLA.  i realize that makes some teams playing in not their own spring parks but having completely differing divisions for one season would somewhat invalidate it to me.   I would think maintaining the divisions might matter more than who plays ST in which state?

Have you ever been in a relationship with someone you love that keeps getting more and more ridiculous until finally you realize 'Wait a second, as much as it would suck to be without her [or him], at this point, being with her is even worse'?

I will be severely depressed if the season isn't played. I had planned to go to more games this season, both major and minor, than ever before. I had two different vacations planned, both road trips centered around baseball. 

But playing a season entirely in AZ and FL, with the Angels in the same division as the Cincinnati Reds... Jesus, that would be worse than no baseball. 

Baseball writer Craig Calcaterra had this idea.  He admits it's a general idea and would need some polishing, but he advocates for an August start and do a bracketed, tournament-style season. 

I think it's a good idea, mostly because I don't believe that July 4, as a start time, is going to be and achievable goal.  I also agree with him when he says that baseball might as well try something totally different that might make money and thrill the fans, and what better than BRACKETOLOGY!!

https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2020/03/16/mlb-throw-out-the-schedule-and-turn-2020-into-one-big-tournament/

3 hours ago, RendZone said:

I don’t think it’s necessary to have a 2020 season but if they do this is a good alternative plan. Dodgers vs Angels for the West could make it somewhat entertaining. 

No way. I don't mind being in a division with the Dodgers but the Indians, Reds and White Sox all have 88+ win potential IMHO. 

Our division would clearly be the toughest. 

Oh and seriously? The Yankees get to beat up on the Tigers, Pirates and Blue Jays?  

2 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

Can someone tell me how San Diego is northwest when LA Dodgers and Angels are west. Baseball even in this stuff can’t seem to figure it out. West should be Angels Dodgers Padres Oakland and San Fran. They don’t even have to leave the state. It’s simple. 

Because of where their ballpark is in Arizona.  All of this is based on where their spring training facilities are in the respective states.  

If the 2020 season doesn't happen, here are the highlights:

1. Astros caught cheating....no penalty

2.  Red Sox caught cheating....no penalty

3.  Yankees suffering pitching injuries...no penalty

4. Dodgers trading for one year of Betts-major penalty

I am truly conflicted about having a 2020 season.

5 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2020/04/10/mlb-realignment-league-considers-radical-move-for-2020-season/5128935002/

GRAPEFRUIT LEAGUE

CACTUS LEAGUE

Stupid.

Those leagues read like seedings.....#1 is first and #5 is last.  There is absolutely no competitive parody from league to league.  I understand the constrains, but MLB should at least make the effort to make it less obvious about their favorites.