• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Your all time line up.....

....that you have seen play, so none of us should be putting Ruth or Gehrig or Cobb on this line up, unless of course @Bruce Nye swings on by.  You can use whatever criteria you want, so if you want to put PED guys on there, go right ahead.  You want to account for defense, go for it.  You want to actually build a line up, ok.  Only criteria is they played that position and if they didn’t you can put them at DH, but you only get one DH.  So here is mine and I am sure I will screw it up and make adjustments.  

1st-Albert

2nd- Alomar

SS- Arod

3rd- Beltre

C- Piazza

LF- Rickey Henderson

CF- Trout

RF- Vlad

DH- Bonds

Right Handed Starter- Maddux

Left Handed Starter- Kershaw

Closer- Mariano

21 minutes ago, eligrba said:

Without any research, off the top of my head:

1B Tony Perez/Willie McCovey

2B Roberto Alomar

3B George Brett

SS Ozzie Smith

LF Carl Yastremski

CF Mike Trout

RF Henry Aaron

DH Edgar Martinez

LHP Steve Carlton

RHP Nolan Ryan

Closer Rivera/Gossage

no catcher on your team?

@Stradling, when you say that you've seen play, how many games are you referring to? 

Because I've probably seen Pujols play in maybe 10 games prior to him signing with the Halos and 6-7 of those games were in the playoffs. 

If I were to extend it to say 25+ games as the qualifier this would be my all-time lineup. 

LF Henderson

CF Trout

DH Bonds

RF Guerrero 

SS A-Rod

1B Mattingly 

3B Beltre

2B Alomar

C Pudge

Mine is based on the late 1960s and beyond (becoming a fan in 1966).

1st- Albert

2nd- Morgan

SS- ARod

3rd- Schmidt

C- Bench

LF- Rickey Henderson

CF- Griffey Jr.   (Trout may catch him later on this decade.)

RF- Vlad 

DH- Bonds

Right Handed Starter- Pedro

Left Handed Starter- Big Unit  (Kershaw may catch him later on this decade.)

Closer- Mariano

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

@Stradling, when you say that you've seen play, how many games are you referring to? 

Because I've probably seen Pujols play in maybe 10 games prior to him signing with the Halos and 6-7 of those games were in the playoffs. 

If I were to extend it to say 25+ games as the qualifier this would be my all-time lineup. 

LF Henderson

CF Trout

DH Bonds

RF Guerrero 

SS A-Rod

1B Mattingly 

3B Beltre

2B Alomar

C Pudge

I’m saying you’ve watched them on TV and it would probably help if they were in their prime, which is why I didn’t choose Bench or Morgan because I don’t remember their prime very well. 

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

I’m saying you’ve watched them on TV and it would probably help if they were in their prime, which is why I didn’t choose Bench or Morgan because I don’t remember their prime very well. 

Based on the numbers Pujols was superior in his prime, but Mattingly had a great stretch as well and as an Angels and Yankees fan growing up, I saw quite a few of his games. 

I don't think you could go wrong with either honestly. I like having his lefthanded bat in a primarily righthanded lineup.

6 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Based on the numbers Pujols was superior in his prime

I agree, @Lou

Mattingly would still be my preference if it was based on players i've seen play or have been impressed with with my own eyes. But if you're looking at the numbers, obviously Pujols was superior. 

Still.. '84 to '89 Mattingly was a stud. 

Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 10.56.56 AM.png

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

Mine is based on the late 1960s and beyond (becoming a fan in 1966).

1st- Albert

2nd- Morgan

SS- ARod

3rd- Schmidt

C- Bench

LF- Rickey Henderson

CF- Griffey Jr.   (Trout may catch him later on this decade.)

RF- Vlad 

DH- Bonds

Right Handed Starter- Pedro

Left Handed Starter- Big Unit  (Kershaw may catch him later on this decade.)

Closer- Mariano

Schmidt was an animal at the plate and an amazing defensive third baseman.

I also wanted to include Morgan at 2B, but I only remember his hitting and not his defense.  I can still see his left arm hitch when he was at the plate.

44 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Based on the numbers Pujols was superior in his prime, but Mattingly had a great stretch as well and as an Angels and Yankees fan growing up, I saw quite a few of his games. 

Yankees fans love saying Trout is overrated because he puts up big numbers on teams that don't win and thus he has "no pressure." So I have no problem reminding them of Mattingly's career: The Yankees made the World Series the year before he arrived and won it all the year after he retired. During his career, they made the postseason once, as a wild card, where they lost in the first round. 

(Full disclosure: I used to live with a woman who was a Yankees fan and whose favorite player was Mattingly. So I've had this conversation several times.)

Early 80s to present, emphasis on peak over career, except if their peak was before the early 80s  (so Schmidt loses out to Boggs).

C Ivan Rodriguez: Piazza was a better hitter and Buster had the better peak, but Rodriguez was so damn good defensively, and became a pretty good hitter, too.

1B Albert Pujols: St Louis version, of course. Total beast.

2B Chase Utley: Shortish peak, but he was great for about five years. Almost went with Sandberg, though.

SS Alex Rodriguez: Could have slid into 3B as well, but I'll take A-Rod over Larkin or Ripken.

3B Wade Boggs: This was tough. Schmidt is the greatest 3B of all time, but the bulk of his career was before the early  80s. Chipper was tempting, but an inferior defender. At his peak, Boggs hit .350+ and was a good defender.

LF Barry Bonds: Best player of the 90s before roids, and after roids he was the most dominant player I've ever seen.

CF Mike Trout: Duh.

RF Manny Ramirez: Terrible defender, but Manny could hit.

DH Frank Thomas: For the first half of his career or so, one of the best hitters in baseball history.

25 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Early 80s to present, emphasis on peak over career, except if their peak was before the early 80s  (so Schmidt loses out to Boggs).

C Ivan Rodriguez: Piazza was a better hitter and Buster had the better peak, but Rodriguez was so damn good defensively, and became a pretty good hitter, too.

1B Albert Pujols: St Louis version, of course. Total beast.

2B Chase Utley: Shortish peak, but he was great for about five years. Almost went with Sandberg, though.

SS Alex Rodriguez: Could have slid into 3B as well, but I'll take A-Rod over Larkin or Ripken.

3B Wade Boggs: This was tough. Schmidt is the greatest 3B of all time, but the bulk of his career was before the early  80s. Chipper was tempting, but an inferior defender. At his peak, Boggs hit .350+ and was a good defender.

LF Barry Bonds: Best player of the 90s before roids, and after roids he was the most dominant player I've ever seen.

CF Mike Trout: Duh.

RF Manny Ramirez: Terrible defender, but Manny could hit.

DH Frank Thomas: For the first half of his career or so, one of the best hitters in baseball history.

How difficult was the decision to go with Frank Thomas over Rickey Henderson?  For me the toughest decision was Rickey over Griffey.