• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Pujols and Corona

I think it is funny we still have people that get emotionally high jacked over Albert.  It says much more about the fan than the performance of the player.  Sure it is time to move on, but the only way that happens is to develop someone that is better at this time.  You can't go out and trade for an upgrade because you aren't giving up prospects for an affordable 1st baseman.  You aren't giving up prospects for an expensive 1st baseman either because they will still be paying Albert and payroll flexibility is important.  So if we want Albert gone next year then Thais will have to outperform him.  I absolutely believe he can, but they probably won't release Albert to guarantee a guy like Thais playing time.  

28 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I think it is funny we still have people that get emotionally high jacked over Albert.  It says much more about the fan than the performance of the player.  Sure it is time to move on, but the only way that happens is to develop someone that is better at this time.  You can't go out and trade for an upgrade because you aren't giving up prospects for an affordable 1st baseman.  You aren't giving up prospects for an expensive 1st baseman either because they will still be paying Albert and payroll flexibility is important.  So if we want Albert gone next year then Thais will have to outperform him.  I absolutely believe he can, but they probably won't release Albert to guarantee a guy like Thais playing time.  

If we don’t have enough quality starting pitching then having Albert on the team becomes irrelevant anyway.

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

I think this is funny.

They round up numbers, so technically he is a lifetime 300 hitter. Interesting if it comes down to stats or money.

Ted Williams in 1941 I think it was also was just over the decimal cusp. But of 400, not 300. One day left in the season, and the manager said he could take the day off and finish at 400. But Ted went out and played, had a huge day and finished around 407. Last player to hit over 400 though Brett gave it a good effort.

With Albert there is so much money at stake that it has to be a consideration. Even if subliminal. But thinking of legacy and history, ending at exactly 300 is a nice, symmetrical exclamation point to a HOF career. Al Kaline finished an even longer career one homer short of 400, batting 297. And seven hits over 3,000. So close to pushing all his numbers over those thresholds. Hitting those milestone numbers does resonate for fans, and will as long as people care about history. 

Considering his age, career decline and relatively modest improvement last year it might be a good time to hang them up. Rather than risk a potentially bad season and dropping his average below 300 for all eternity.

On 4/9/2020 at 10:17 AM, Stradling said:

Discussion of Albert Pujols is being “emotionally hijacked”?  Uh, ok.