• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Pujols and Corona

1 minute ago, True Grich said:

I've read every possible scenario this board has come up with in hopes that Albert will retire early.  It's just not going to happen.

I know you are correct.  Just pointing out what is obvious to me.  He needed two seasons of being healthy, batting .240ish, to get to 700.

Its not gonna happen now.  

4 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

He can still get to #5 on the all-time HRs list, and that's pretty much the extent of it.

Where is Albert in the all time list for gidp? Maybe that's the driving force behind wanting to play out his contract?

Edited by eligrba

57 minutes ago, eligrba said:

Where is Albert in the all time list for gidp? Maybe that's the driving force behind wanting to play out his contract?

Pujols, assuming he stays healthy, will put that double-play record in a stratosphere that no one will ever reach. He already has the record, having grounded into 362 double plays; he passed second-place Cal Ripken last year. If Pujols maintains his pace, he is likely to push his total 100 or more double plays above anyone else.

Pujols' one unbreakable record - Halos slugger racking up remarkable number of GIDPs

1 hour ago, RendZone said:

If this season is cancelled there’s absolutely no reason why Arte shouldn’t  take the opportunity to just buy out his last season to open up a very important roster spot. 

Except he won't. Albert will get, and deserves, the last year of his career, if only as an honorary bench player/coach.

45 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Except he won't. Albert will get, and deserves, the last year of his career, if only as an honorary bench player/coach.

Well if the 2021 team is serious about winning they will buy him out to allow the first base and DH spots to be filled by more youthful players. Every roster spot is extremely important. It would be a perfect opportunity for Albert to return to play off the bench in St Louis. 

3 hours ago, RendZone said:

If this season is cancelled there’s absolutely no reason why Arte shouldn’t  take the opportunity to just buy out his last season to open up a very important roster spot. 

6 hours ago, True Grich said:

I've read every possible scenario this board has come up with in hopes that Albert will retire early.  It's just not going to happen.

4 hours ago, RendZone said:

if the angels fielded a player who put up better numbers than albert, then albert would get less at bats. the problem is less about his performance and more about young players not being able to outperform him.

even in that scenario, they're still not going to cut him. he's a leader in the clubhouse and he has some use in certain situations. best case scenario is one of the young 1b get their shit together and albert becomes that classic pinch hit/spot starter clubhouse leader that is so familiar in baseball.

albert's a good dude in many many ways, but he's not the type to skip his farewell tour. he wants that attention.

2 hours ago, RendZone said:

Well if the 2021 team is serious about winning they will buy him out to allow the first base and DH spots to be filled by more youthful players. Every roster spot is extremely important. It would be a perfect opportunity for Albert to return to play off the bench in St Louis. 

Thaiss, Ward, Walsh...are any of those guys sure things to out-perform Albert? No, at least not yet. Assuming we have a shortened season, they can try to earn playing time this year. Either way, I would  be surprised if Albert isn't on the 2021 roster. He has some value,  if only as a clubhouse guy and mentor to the younger guys. One roster spot isn't a huge loss, especially with it increasing to 26 and a couple two-way players in Ohtani and Walsh.

Edited by Angelsjunky

2 hours ago, ukyah said:

if the angels fielded a player who put up better numbers than albert, then albert would get less at bats. the problem is less about his performance and more about young players not being able to outperform him.

even in that scenario, they're still not going to cut him. he's a leader in the clubhouse and he has some use in certain situations. best case scenario is one of the young 1b get their shit together and albert becomes that classic pinch hit/spot starter clubhouse leader that is so familiar in baseball.

albert's a good dude in many many ways, but he's not the type to skip his farewell tour. he wants that attention.

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

Thaiss, Ward, Walsh...are any of those guys sure things to out-perform Albert? No, at least not yet. Assuming we have a shortened season, they can try to earn playing time this year. Either way, I would  be surprised if Albert isn't on the 2021 roster. He has some value,  if only as a clubhouse guy and mentor to the younger guys. One roster spot isn't a huge loss, especially with it increasing to 26 and a couple two-way players in Ohtani and Walsh.

Me Too Samesies GIF

It's way easier to judge a hitter than a pitcher. A hitters' stats versus a pitchers' stats. A stupid stat like batting average is a big reason for that. Pujols ending his career with a batting average under .300 would kind of be stunning to me but not the end of the world. I just never thought that we would be seeing this happen years ago. 

I understand the very valid point that unless the Angels have someone who can outperform Albert, then Albert should just play.

I don’t think anybody disagrees with that.

But at some point if you want to win and the goal is to put the best team possible on the field, the you deliberately go get somebody that would outperform him rather than making the excuse that we have no knowledge that Thais or Ward would do any better.

If Pujols hits .179 and Ward/Thais hit .160, do you really just roll with Albert because you don’t have a better alternative in house or do you go get somebody?

I don’t hate Albert.  Never did.  I just want to win and I am not very interested in sitting through the fade.

What is funny is in years past it was “The offense isn’t good enough anyway.  An upgrade from Albert doesn’t make the difference necessary, so what is the point?”

And now I suppose I am going to hear the offense is good enough with Rendon (and Adell on the way) to survive Albert.  I think this is worse than the old excuse.

Just keeping an inning alive with a potent lineup rather than making an out (or two for that matter with a gidp) can get you another 3 or 4 runs.

Anyway, I accept the reality of playing the best player you have but I reject that you can just stay with that if the best you have is hurting you.  

Go make a deal and address it.  It’s time to win.

7 hours ago, JustATroutFan said:

It's way easier to judge a hitter than a pitcher. A hitters' stats versus a pitchers' stats. A stupid stat like batting average is a big reason for that. Pujols ending his career with a batting average under .300 would kind of be stunning to me but not the end of the world. I just never thought that we would be seeing this happen years ago. 

I agree.  I personally don’t care.  But tons of people do, including players who want to be the unique answer to questions like, “Name the only three player in history with a .300 average, blah blah, and blah blah.”

Maybe he doesn’t care who knows.

2 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

I agree.  I personally don’t care.  But tons of people do, including players who want to be the unique answer to questions like, “Name the only three player in history with a .300 average, blah blah, and blah blah.”

Maybe he doesn’t care who knows.

I actually asked him point blank last September about his .300 average and he said he doesn’t care. I’m sure he cares, but not enough to give up all that money. 

15 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Walsh does not qualify as 2 way player. He would be taking spot for a pitcher.

The problem with Pujols is the same problem Willie Mays and Hank Aaron had in the last few years of their careers. You only see a shell of a player. Unfortunately,  Pujols has been a shell of his former self for just about his entire Angel career.