• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels release Roberto Baldoquin

mmc

9 hours ago, Angels Never Die said:

Wasn't he in the same FA class as Yoan Moncada? I don't remember.

Yes... and the thinking at the time was "who TF is this guy?... well, supposedly hes good friends with Moncada.... i guess this is a precursor move.... if we get both, i guess its worth being out of the international draft for a few years".

Hashtag jerry.

31 minutes ago, Lou said:

Why do you need to know English to shop for groceries? 

Was thinking the exact same thing. Shit... i hardly read the labels here.

And ive purchased food on every continent on earth.... yes you can buy bottled drinks and snacks on Antarctica. You dont need to speak local to understand the picture on the package.

15 hours ago, Lou said:

Why do you need to know English to shop for groceries? 

I actually get this....  This is something that is kinda common among Cubans that never saw the world pre-Castro. 

See, while a lot of U.S. politicians throw praise at Cuba and how it made life better for many Cubans (lol), or whatever the mythology is, reality is Cubans haven't seen a supermarket since 1961 or so... No local bodega, no  7-11 or convenience stores... Those don't exist for actual Cubans -- just for tourists, and those stores won't even accept Cuban currency.  Instead of being able to do something as mundane as shopping for groceries, they have to hope the goods become available.  Cubans get everything rationed, they are given a booklet they bring with them along with an actual container to a government dispensary where they stand in lines hoping to actually get the item in question..  One day it might be rice, the next it might be dairy, just make sure you get there early because once they run out you're assed out...  and if your ration of whatever never comes .... too bad, you don't get a rain check or get to swap it out for an item they do have.  "Viva la revolucion!  Viva Fidel!!"

It's pretty common to hear stories of Cubans first entering into a supermarket then breaking down and crying...  So, it's likely just a case of him not even grasping the concept of a store full of food just waiting for you to show up and get what you want...  

I don't care what your politics are guys... be thankful for all the simple liberties we enjoy.

And in conclusion.... thanks again, Jerry.....

14 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Was thinking the exact same thing. Shit... i hardly read the labels here.

And ive purchased food on every continent on earth.... yes you can buy bottled drinks and snacks on Antarctica. You dont need to speak local to understand the picture on the package.

Up until the fall of the Soviet Union canned food from Russia was pretty common.... all Russian labels etc etc.... Then the "Special Period", started....   That's what they called it when there wasn't anything at all.  Seriously, imagine a world where canned goods and the sort don't exist.... 

That's the world he knew.

4 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

I actually get this....  This is something that is kinda common among Cubans that never saw the world pre-Castro. 

See, while a lot of U.S. politicians throw praise at Cuba and how it made life better for many Cubans (lol), or whatever the mythology is, reality is Cubans haven't seen a supermarket since 1961 or so... No local bodega, no  7-11 or convenience stores... Those don't exist for actual Cubans -- just for tourists, and those stores won't even accept Cuban currency.  Instead of being able to do something as mundane as shopping for groceries, they have to hope the goods become available.  Cubans get everything rationed, they are given a booklet they bring with them along with an actual container to a government dispensary where they stand in lines hoping to actually get the item in question..  One day it might be rice, the next it might be dairy, just make sure you get there early because once they run out you're assed out...  and if your ration of whatever never comes .... too bad, you don't get a rain check or get to swap it out for an item they do have.  "Viva la revolucion!  Viva Fidel!!"

It's pretty common to hear stories of Cubans first entering into a supermarket then breaking down and crying...  So, it's likely just a case of him not even grasping the concept of a store full of food just waiting for you to show up and get what you want...  

I don't care what your politics are guys... be thankful for all the simple liberties we enjoy.

Ill say this though.... best hamburger I ever had in the world was in Havana...

But then again, maybe I just assumed it was a hamburger.... shit.

7 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Ill say this though.... best hamburger I ever had in the world was in Havana...

But then again, maybe I just assumed it was a hamburger.... shit.

Calm down, Jimmy Buffett.

Found an old pic. That hit the spot. Good nightcap after tons of watered down drinks and partying with the JV squad of women that seemed to be at every freaking bar we hit.

Cuba was a trip. Total time capsule. The old car thing was cool as hell. But yeah, @Inside Pitch, if theres one thing ive noticed in the communist countries ive been too, the propaganda is eons ahead of ours. Yes, our media is slanted. But there isnt a 50 foot statue of whatever leader every 7 steps here.

8 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Is it lind of like what we have now?

12 hours ago, Lou said:

Meat/fish counter

fruits/vegetables 

canned/packaged foods with pics on label 

dairy

yeah, I stand by my statement. 

I don't know what TBW meant when he wrote the lack of English impeded his grocery shopping.... not sure how it could.  But I do wonder if it wasn't a case of being reminded of everything his family didn't have and had to go through for something as basic as foodstuffs..  Something akin survivor's remorse if you will.