• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Eppler's Future

m0nkey

Since there's no baseball going on, thought I'd bring this up.  This may have been discussed in one of the other 7 coronavirus threads, but what do you think happens with Eppler if there is no 162 game regular season?

If the season gets cancelled, does Eppler get a new one year deal and 2021 becomes what 2020 was supposed to be (show big improvement or get canned)?  If the season gets cut to, lets say 100-120 games, is he evaluated the same way he would have been if it was a 162 game season?  

43 minutes ago, m0nkey said:

Since there's no baseball going on, thought I'd bring this up.  This may have been discussed in one of the other 7 coronavirus threads, but what do you think happens with Eppler if there is no 162 game regular season?

If the season gets cancelled, does Eppler get a new one year deal and 2021 becomes what 2020 was supposed to be (show big improvement or get canned)?  If the season gets cut to, lets say 100-120 games, is he evaluated the same way he would have been if it was a 162 game season?  

If the Entire 2020 season is cancelled Eppler will get one more season. But if that happens and we miss the playoffs again in 2021 he will be packing his bags.

I think Eppler does get an extension for at least one year.  I don't believe there will be any meaningful baseball in 2020 though.  I think there is some small chance for empty stadium baseball, but it would be hard to fathom any significant number of fans who want to sit in a crowded stadium this year.  And how many people, despite the health risk, are going to be able to spend the money for baseball tickets when they may be laid off or their jobs gone, their small private businesses virtually destroyed, or have mounting debts of all sorts.  You could even be a recovered Covid patient with maybe some immunity for an unknown time, but with a staggering medical bill because you were not insured.  I love baseball, but wow it's so far down the priority list right now it's hard to image any short term recovery in it for American society generally.

Lots of things are going to change in the long run.  Examples include how we greet and interact with other people, how we go about our daily routines and prevent flare up of this pandemic, and unknown future ones, etc..  Worldwide over 77 million people have been infected by the AIDS virus, over 34 million have died of AIDS complications.  Think how that changed sexual awareness.  Covid is much more contagious, more stealthily passed on from one person to another, and even though it is a fragile protein molecule it can be transmitted from surface contact.  It's going to have a significant effect on our daily lives even while in some degree of remission.  Remember, smallpox is the only significant virus to be eliminated in this century, SARS, MERS, Swine Flu, Bird Flu, AIDS, Zeka, and others still exist in the world and pose threats to the human species if not kept in check.  I am normally an optimistic person, but these situations are a great reminder of how much the human species is changing our planet kind of willy nilly and without regard to the consequences.  It going to take every country on earth to fix the underlying causes of these viruses.    

2 hours ago, Blarg said:

Polio. It went from 350,000 cases per year in 1988 to 22 in 2017. Zero in the US.

The reason? Vaccines.

Fuck off anti vaxcers. 

Polio still exists outside the USA.  This is from the Mayo Clinic:

"Polio is a contagious viral illness that in its most severe form causes nerve injury leading to paralysis, difficulty breathing and sometimes death.

In the U.S., the last case of naturally occurring polio was in 1979. Today, despite a worldwide effort to wipe out polio, poliovirus continues to affect children and adults in parts of Asia and Africa.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) advises taking precautions to protect yourself from polio if you're traveling anywhere there's a risk of polio.

Adults who have been vaccinated who plan to travel to an area where polio is occurring should receive a booster dose of inactivated poliovirus vaccine (IPV). Immunity after a booster lasts a lifetime."

Actually there were 38 cases of "modern polio" reported in the US last year.  I think the worst year was 1952 when over 57,000 children were infected, 6% death rate, about another 45% had mild to severe conditions.  I don't know the overall number that it's killed over the years, but I'm sure it's in the millions, mostly children.

Dr. Jonas Salk, who developed the vaccine became a national hero in the 1950's, for its 1953 discovery.  Widespread inoculations did not begin until the mid 1950's after widespread trials.  If that had developed today, it would be every bit as devastating as Covid-19.    

Interesting that you mentioned that as I am a polio survivor.  I contracted it at 4 years old, but recovered in about a month with no damage (other than it damaged my brain about baseball, lol).  This was just before the vaccine became widely available (1949).  One day I was fine, the next day I tried to get out of bed and couldn't stand up.  But it  didn't stay for long, there was nothing much they could do for me, but I recovered due to my immune system as I recall.  Scared the hell out of my parents.

Because respiratory failure could occur in severe cases iron lungs were developed (I guess you could call them primitive ventilators), here is a photo from 1952:

Polio_Ironlungs_Hospitalroom.jpg

2 hours ago, Lou said:

Diptheria 

It's rare but it still exists.

I lifted this from the Mayo Clinic description:

"Diphtheria (dif-THEER-e-uh) is a serious bacterial infection that usually affects the mucous membranes of your nose and throat. Diphtheria is extremely rare in the United States and other developed countries, thanks to widespread vaccination against the disease.

Diphtheria can be treated with medications. But in advanced stages, diphtheria can damage your heart, kidneys and nervous system. Even with treatment, diphtheria can be deadly, especially in children."

9 hours ago, tomsred said:

It's rare but it still exists.

I lifted this from the Mayo Clinic description:

"Diphtheria (dif-THEER-e-uh) is a serious bacterial infection that usually affects the mucous membranes of your nose and throat. Diphtheria is extremely rare in the United States and other developed countries, thanks to widespread vaccination against the disease.

Diphtheria can be treated with medications. But in advanced stages, diphtheria can damage your heart, kidneys and nervous system. Even with treatment, diphtheria can be deadly, especially in children."

The Cruelest Miles is an enjoyable read about the 1925 diptheria epidemic in Nome Alaska. It was one of the inspirations for the Iditarod. Amazing story about men and dogs.

With all due respect.