• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

If the season gets cancelled....

Claude

If Realmuto actually hits free agency (looking more and more likely by the day) the Angels, I think, would have great interest in locking up the best catcher in baseball right now on a 5-6 year deal for $100M-$130M give or take. He is the only catcher, beyond Grandal, that I think the Angels would fork out serious free agency dollars for.

Stroman seems like a likely target, too, if the Angels extend/keep Simmons, i.e. keep a strong defensive unit behind Marcus, a heavy ground ball artist. Notably, Stroman seems to be a huge fan of Trout, which may or may not influence a free agency decision on Marcus' part.

I could also potentially see Eppler pursue someone like Kirby Yates, too, on a 2-3 year deal, but that is a little less likely considering Eppler's track record in regard to reliever acquisitions.

This off-season, if Cole had signed with us, might have been a tipping point in spending over the Luxury Tax but that didn't materialize and in hindsight, with what has happened externally, it may have been a bit of a blessing in disguise.

All of this simply means that the Angels could mildly go over the CBT threshold next season by extending Simmons, acquiring Realmuto, Stroman, and Yates, for example, which would compliment a strong core of Trout, Rendon, Fletcher, Upton, Adell, Ohtani, Heaney, Robles, Buttrey, et. al.

45 minutes ago, Tank said:

i would love to have realmuto, but i imagine there'll be big bidding war for him with some deep pockets in the thick of it.

One thing that has happened recently is that the “Big Boys” are already tapped out which opens the door for teams like the Angels.

1 hour ago, RendZone said:

One thing that has happened recently is that the “Big Boys” are already tapped out which opens the door for teams like the Angels.

Let's also not forget that the "big boys" would be a year closer to the end of any big contracts that they have handed out, without spending any money on them in 2020.

1 hour ago, RendZone said:

the red sox just unloaded price and his gazillions, and don't look to be resigning mookie next year. 

the yankees just spent 329 mil on gerrit cole.

i'm going to have to disagree with you.

Teams like the Dodgers and Yankees (and to a slightly lesser extent the Red Sox) don't care about exceeding the salary cap, and they can afford to eat bad contracts and just replace them with more contracts. The fact that we are still watching Pujols limp around the bases and ground into double plays tells you that the Angels are not in play for a bunch of high priced talent, and in all likelihood they won't go over the cap - at least not by much.

I think there will be a season. But there won't be crowds involved all year. I see it starting around July and being about 60 games total.

I have nothing to base this on other than gut feeling. The virus will reach it's peak here some time in April and then begin to decline slowly but steadily. By July we'll mostly be in the clear, but they'll be cautious with it as they should

24 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

I think there will be a season. But there won't be crowds involved all year. I see it starting around July and being about 60 games total.

I have nothing to base this on other than gut feeling. The virus will reach it's peak here some time in April and then begin to decline slowly but steadily. By July we'll mostly be in the clear, but they'll be cautious with it as they should

I read that in the agreement between MLB and the Players Union they both agreed they wouldn’t start the season until they can play in front of fans.  

39 minutes ago, katrinab said:

if they cancel the season this year would service time still count?

it kind of sucks for teams and players who signed for 1 year deals

Here you go:

"The two sides have agreed that if there is no 2020 season, the players will get the same service time for 2020 they had in 2019, which means players set to hit free agency after this season still will. It's a big win for the players and a big loss for the owners, which leads me to believe the owners are very confident the season is going to happen. For example, why would the Dodgers agree to possibly losing Mookie Betts without having ever had him play a meaningful game unless they knew that wasn't going to happen. 

Service time in a shortened season will be prorated."

4 hours ago, VariousCrap said:

Can you imagine if the season gets cancelled and the Dodgers don't get one game from Mookie.

That would be hilarious.

You know what would be even more hilarious? If the Red Sox actually re sign him in the offseason! Dodgers FO and fans will be on 24/7 suicide watch,