• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Corona Virus Poll, Week 3

kevinb

Corona Virus Poll, Week 3  

58 members have voted

1. 1. What do you miss most about this quarantine/lockdown/freeze?

2. 2. If MLB does resume will it be with fans in the stadiums?

3. 3. How are you feeling week 3 of this whole ordeal?

4. 4. Prediction- What happens next?

• The Worst Has Happened Now It Will Get Better
    • The Worst Has Yet To Come It Will Get Worse
    • Status Quo- Nothing Changes For A While
  5. 5. What's happened with your job situation?

• No Changes- Essential Job
    • Work From Home
    • Fired
    • Temporary Leave/ Suspension of Pay
    • Temporary Leave/ Still Paid
    • Was Unemployed Before

There is a lot to unpack here because my situation is maybe slightly different.  

What do I miss the most, probably routine.  After routine it would be my inability to travel.  I was supposed to be in Havasu last weekend, Vegas this weekend, Boston in early May and Hawaii in early June.  None of that is likely to happen now.

My work situation isn’t any of those things.  Work is legitimately hard right now, with long hours and having to over communicate everything.  Now I fully understand and appreciate that I am very fortunate to be in the situation that I am, but at the same time, helping keep people calm and motivated is challenging.  I probably put in about 70 hours a week the last three weeks.  Once again, I am blessed to be overworked, but it doesn’t make it any easier.  Then to top it off, I lead 50 managers and assistant managers and 600 associates over 8 locations.  I can’t really not have a great attitude every day at work and sometimes having to be that guy is exhausting, even if being positive is in my nature.  

As for my opinion of how it will happen next, since we are 2 weeks behind Italy, I can only assume that the next two weeks will be worse, then possibly have it level out.  

What I was talking to my wife about is that work is hard and my two hobbies have been taken away, which are sports and traveling.  So when work is usually hard, I have something to look forward to, right now I really don’t.  I am also tired to the point of not being able to get the motivation to pick up a new hobby around the house.  Also we were supposed to start doing some more work to our back yard, and the thought of throwing $25k at a project right now seems like a horrible idea.  Then I start to feel guilty about not doing the project because I know it would really help out the people that are doing the work, because we know people need to work right now.  But at the end of the day, there is the big what if.  What if this gets much worse and we close for awhile?  What if this makes one of my loved ones sick and I could help them financially?  All the what ifs that arise in crisis.  

I have it way better than a lot of people and I feel awful for those who have it worse, but this is a feelings thread and this is how I am feeling.  Basically even typing this makes me feel like a total bitch.  

Forgive me for going off the board but the options didnt fit for me.

#1 all of the above, but overall a general sense of normalcy. 
#2 i think it depends how long this continues.
#3 Frustrated.
#4 Wishful thinking but i think it will begin to flatten out but im not sure were over the hump yet.
#5 im lucky in that sense it hasnt hit me as i generally telecommute anyway and most of our business is online limiting the direct human interaction. 

Thanks @Stradling for being so honest. I am truly sorry that sucks and that has to be rough. Hoping you can get through this with your head above water. 

For me I think it still hasn't hit me, other than totally isolating myself with family at the moment. I have definitely watched more tv than I normally do. My work has slowed down a bunch being in commercial and residential real estate. But other than work being completely slow, no sports being on I think the thing that is affecting me the most is not being able to go out and do my usual stuff. I have a trip planned to go to France in July and I am really concerned that will have to be cancelled/postponed. I think my next poll will be more light hearted fun but definitely concerned for all you Angelswin family people and how you guys are doing and hoping praying we get through this stuff and hoping the worst has hit us, but alas I have no clue. 

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

What do I miss the most, probably routine.  After routine it would be my inability to travel.  I was supposed to be in Havasu last weekend, Vegas this weekend, Boston in early May and Hawaii in early June.  None of that is likely to happen now.

My work situation isn’t any of those things.  Work is legitimately hard right now, with long hours and having to over communicate everything.  Now I fully understand and appreciate that I am very fortunate to be in the situation that I am, but at the same time, helping keep people calm and motivated is challenging.  I probably put in about 70 hours a week the last three weeks.  Once again, I am blessed to be overworked, but it doesn’t make it any easier.  Then to top it off, I lead 50 managers and assistant managers and 600 associates over 8 locations.  I can’t really not have a great attitude every day at work and sometimes having to be that guy is exhausting, even if being positive is in my nature.  

As for my opinion of how it will happen next, since we are 2 weeks behind Italy, I can only assume that the next two weeks will be worse, then possibly have it level out.  

What I was talking to my wife about is that work is hard and my two hobbies have been taken away, which are sports and traveling.  So when work is usually hard, I have something to look forward to, right now I really don’t.  I am also tired to the point of not being able to get the motivation to pick up a new hobby around the house.  Also we were supposed to start doing some more work to our back yard, and the thought of throwing $25k at a project right now seems like a horrible idea.  Then I start to feel guilty about not doing the project because I know it would really help out the people that are doing the work, because we know people need to work right now.  But at the end of the day, there is the big what if.  What if this gets much worse and we close for awhile?  What if this makes one of my loved ones sick and I could help them financially?  All the what ifs that arise in crisis.  

I have it way better than a lot of people and I feel awful for those who have it worse, but this is a feelings thread and this is how I am feeling.  Basically even typing this makes me feel like a total bitch.  

I hear you. For the first time in three years my small family of four is all home together and we can’t go anywhere together. I’m running my business from home but would love to take a trip. Oh well getting my ass kicked in Monopoly isn’t so bad. 

Edited by RendZone

Since schools are closed, my wife (a teacher) and I (an administrator) have decided to work on our backyard.  We like to do these things ourselves.  It's kinda our "hobby."  So we decided to start today.  My first task was to till the soil. 

I don't think I've ever been this excited to go to Home Depot and rent the rototiller in my life. It was a real treat to go and do "normal" shit.

These last two weeks have been my regular spring break so i've enjoyed them like usual but without playing golf, which i really miss. i bought an indoor/outdoor golf cage and got it setup on wednesday. going there when i'm done here. it's pretty fun and gives me a chance to swing the clubs.

we're starting our online classes next monday and i have a fair amount of apprehension right now, most of which is centered around using the technology correctly and making sure kids can access it. we've had virtual faculty meetings and i've watched a couple of "how to" videos, but putting it into practice the first couple of days has me concerned. i want this to go as smoothly as possible. but, a lot of my classes involve hands-on things, and that's going to be a real big challenge that right now i'm not sure how to address. there's a big learning curve, and i've already settled on the fact that next friday i'll know a whole lot more about using this system than i do right now. i just hope my mistakes are minimal. i also hope the kids take this seriously and do their best. there is the potential for a ton of cheating. i hope the kids have enough integrity not to give in to the urge.

I work for myself and work has completely disappeared, however I am not married and I am childless, so my stress level isn't in the same universe as people who are breadwinners for a family. 

My major disappointment - in addition to what I assume is shared by everyone here that baseball isn't being played - is that I had two big vacations planned for spring and summer. One was going to involve a lot of baseball games, and the other was going to be taking my parents on vacation. I have not been on a vacation with them in a long time . My brother passed away a few months ago and they're having a really hard time with that, so I know they were really looking forward to going somewhere with me. 

I agree with Stradling that the next two weeks are going to get worse - I think it might be the next three or four weeks - before things get better in May. But I think it's going to get quite bleak before it gets better. I had this hope that to lift the country's morale, they would try to bring baseball back around Memorial Day Weekend and play in empty stadiums. But after reading the agreement between MLB and the players' union, I don't think that will happen. 

it's going to get so much worse for far longer than what people are being told. i'm curios how it's going to affect the lesser populated areas of the country, but we haven't even seen the new york thing happen in any of the big cities yet.

the cousin of a friend is a mother of two in her 30's with double pneumonia and they sent her home because she isn't a priority. i think most would feel as i do and be a little concerned at that treatment plan. i have a feeling that my wife and i may have had the virus early, but i won't know that for sure until there's a test for antibodies available.

2 hours ago, Tank said:

These last two weeks have been my regular spring break so i've enjoyed them like usual but without playing golf, which i really miss. i bought an indoor/outdoor golf cage and got it setup on wednesday. going there when i'm done here. it's pretty fun and gives me a chance to swing the clubs.

we're starting our online classes next monday and i have a fair amount of apprehension right now, most of which is centered around using the technology correctly and making sure kids can access it. we've had virtual faculty meetings and i've watched a couple of "how to" videos, but putting it into practice the first couple of days has me concerned. i want this to go as smoothly as possible. but, a lot of my classes involve hands-on things, and that's going to be a real big challenge that right now i'm not sure how to address. there's a big learning curve, and i've already settled on the fact that next friday i'll know a whole lot more about using this system than i do right now. i just hope my mistakes are minimal. i also hope the kids take this seriously and do their best. there is the potential for a ton of cheating. i hope the kids have enough integrity not to give in to the urge.

What subject do you teach?  I'm sure you said before, but I've forgotten.   Are there youtube videos you can link with Google Classroom that show the hands-on experience?  Or maybe you create them and upload them?  Maybe get the parents involved as well.  Something they can do as a family in this time of pandemic?

1 hour ago, ukyah said:

it's going to get so much worse for far longer than what people are being told. i'm curios how it's going to affect the lesser populated areas of the country, but we haven't even seen the new york thing happen in any of the big cities yet.

the cousin of a friend is a mother of two in her 30's with double pneumonia and they sent her home because she isn't a priority. i think most would feel as i do and be a little concerned at that treatment plan. i have a feeling that my wife and i may have had the virus early, but i won't know that for sure until there's a test for antibodies available.

She should call 911if she feels worse. They have to see her then (no waiting)

That was advice my mom's oncologist passed on so she wouldn't have to wait in the ER lobby.  

12 minutes ago, halomatt said:

What subject do you teach?  I'm sure you said before, but I've forgotten.   Are there youtube videos you can link with Google Classroom that show the hands-on experience?  Or maybe you create them and upload them?  Maybe get the parents involved as well.  Something they can do as a family in this time of pandemic?

I teach 7&8 history and bible. I watched two videos already about using the system(BigBlueButton) and one on using google classroom. Will rewatch it again. Got a buddy who uses it and offered to help with my questions, too. I think I’ll be okay, it’s just the nervousness of the unknown.

For me, I've been independent consulting at my old job for the past month.  My boss wanted to convert me back to full time, but due to COVID-19, they're on a hiring freeze.  He said he was able to convince the SVP to extend me until end of May.  Then today my girlfriend who works in the medical field, had a slight fever and was tested and sent home.  She's scared as hell as am I.  My mom is scared about her job and the restaurant she works at.  I'm really hoping this is over sooner rather than later. Any sense of normalcy would be greatly appreciated and wanted now.  I hope everyone in the forum hasn't been too adversely affected  by this.  Stay safe and take this very seriously. 

8 hours ago, Stradling said:

I appreciate you Strad, I know this is taking a toll on a lot of people, just know that we love you (well some do... 😄 ) and try to take it easy. Three deep breaths.

I know many of you don't want to hear this but this could conceivably last months, not weeks. I know that may be depressing to many but this is really a massive strain on our medical system and doctors and nurses are desperately trying to save lives and not winning the fight in some cases.

Just keep level-headed and protect yourselves, wash your hands, don't go out unless you absolutely have to and just do your best.

1 hour ago, ettin said:

I know many of you don't want to hear this but this could conceivably last months, not weeks. I know that may be depressing to many but this is really a massive strain on our medical system and doctors and nurses are desperately trying to save lives and not winning the fight in some cases.

Just keep level-headed and protect yourselves, wash your hands, don't go out unless you absolutely have to and just do your best.

I think it depends on the state and where mass people congregate. Which is why New York has been hit the hardest.

We're trending good up here in Washington. So I'm hopeful.

I like eating in when I got to restaurants. If I'm buying prepared food, I prefer to sit down and eat off a proper plate, not off styrofoam in the living room with a plastic fork

I am fortunate to have a job that is keeping me going right now. It is wearing me down to constantly deal with the fears and anxieties of other people, much of it overblown or based upon false assumptions.

It seems bizarre to not be checking ESPN every now and then, because there are no scores to find out.

Seems like there were more people on the highways today compared to last weekend. People are getting tired of staying in, IMO.

On 3/27/2020 at 10:44 PM, ettin said:

I know that may be depressing to many but this is really a massive strain on our medical system and doctors and nurses are desperately trying to save lives and not winning the fight in some cases.

It is beginning to wear me down. It's not so much the reality of the virus, but rather having to constantly deal with the fears, many of them irrational, of staff at the facility. There have also been instances of people coming to our area essentially demanding personal protective equipment, when they were told at least three weeks ago to order their own for their work areas. We are under a different budget account than the rest of the yard, so if we give our stuff out, we almost never get replacements. On Thursday I had the warden, all four associate wardens and a lieutenant in my office, all at the same time, wanting N95 masks for line custody staff. These aren't necessary. We don't wear N95s ourselves unless we know that we will have close contact with someone who may possibly be infected. As of Friday I had ten boxes of N95s on the shelf, not all of them full, and I can't get replacements. A box of N95s holds 20 masks.

Salary isn't a concern right now, but with the casinos shut down for at least one month and possibly a second, there is a good possibility of employee furloughs once we are clear of this - meaning that we will be expected to do the same job in less time with less people for less pay. Even if we were fully staffed (and on 4/6 we will have six nursing vacancies, with two more pending), we would be about 50 percent below the staffing level recommended by the National Council on Correctional Health Care for a facility our size.