• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Strat-O-Matic Simulates the Season: The Official Thread (Angels 83-79, 3rd in AL West, 7 GB Wild Card) ** SEASON ENDED, DODGERS WIN WORLD SERIES

On 7/8/2020 at 2:37 PM, Capital_Dave said:

Stratomatic named the All Star Squads for the AL and NL today, including a "Final Four" vote where you can participate by clicking here

The game will be played live online on July 14th, with Drew Carey managing the AL All Stars.  Given that there's a passing resemblance to Joe Maddon, I'll allow it.

Mike Trout gets the start in CF.  Anthony Rendon is a reserve at 3B.

Here is the AL Squad.  Have at it, libs...

Screenshot 2020-07-08 17.32.09.jpg

All Star game tonight.  Live at 9 PM eastern, 6 PM pacific.

https://www.strat-o-matic.com/announcements/the-2020-all-star-game-with-drew-carey-vs-slim-jim-phantom/

Looks like it will be available on FB and YouTube channel.

4 hours ago, Slegnaac said:

All Star game tonight.  Live at 9 PM eastern, 6 PM pacific.

https://www.strat-o-matic.com/announcements/the-2020-all-star-game-with-drew-carey-vs-slim-jim-phantom/

Looks like it will be available on FB and YouTube channel.

I tried looking for it on youtube but no luck. do you have a link to it for either FB or YT?

National League wins the All Star Game, 7-2.  A typical low-scoring affair until the 4th inning, when Christian Yelich starts the ball rolling with a two-run shot.  Five homers altogether in this one, with Turner, Yelich, Freeman, Carpenter, and Contreras all going yard.  On the Angel front, Trout goes 1-for-4 and Rendon rides the pine, as AL Manager Drew Carey fails in the basic All Star Managerial role of getting all of the position players some P.T.  They didn't name an official MVP, but it's probably Freddie Freeman, who goes 2-for-2 with a two-run homer.

Screenshot 2020-07-15 15.07.58.jpg

4 hours ago, Capital_Dave said:

National League wins the All Star Game, 7-2.  A typical low-scoring affair until the 4th inning, when Christian Yelich starts the ball rolling with a two-run shot.  Five homers altogether in this one, with Turner, Yelich, Freeman, Carpenter, and Contreras all going yard.  On the Angel front, Trout goes 1-for-4 and Rendon rides the pine, as AL Manager Drew Carey fails in the basic All Star Managerial role of getting all of the position players some P.T.  They didn't name an official MVP, but it's probably Freddie Freeman, who goes 2-for-2 with a two-run homer.

Screenshot 2020-07-15 15.07.58.jpg

I don't think they gave the managers enough time to make the changes.  It felt rushed to me.  

8 hours ago, Tank said:

drew carey was the manager? from whose line is it anyway, that drew Carey?

Indeed.  Carey managed the AL All Stars, vs. Slim Jim Phantom (drummer for the Stray Cats) who managed the NL.  Both are long-time Strat-o-matic players.  Since Carey has a more-than-passing resemblance to Joe Maddon, I thought he was a good choice.

Angels start the second half with a nip-and-tuck 4-3 victory over the Phillies.  A quality start and win for Julio Teheran (8-6) as Hansel Robles gets his 24th save.  Jo Adell hits his 9th homer of the season, a three-run homer in the first that starts off the second half with a bang

Screenshot 2020-07-18 12.44.30.jpg

When you lament not having Angels Baseball in your life, you are forgetting that there would have been nights like this that would have made you happy for a worldwide pandemic, if only to save you from your own personal baseball heartache.

Angels lead 2-0 in the bottom of the ninth behind brilliant shutout pitching by Bundy, Buchter, and Barnes.  But a two run homer by Alec Bohm (whoever that is) ties it in the bottom of the ninth.  Luis Rengifo hits a go-ahead homer in the top of the 10th and then this Bohm guy steps up to the plate again in the bottom of the 10th and walks it off with a base hit, scoring a runner from third.  

Fuck Pretend Alec Bohm.  That is all.

Screenshot 2020-07-18 14.08.42.jpg

Angels drop 2 of 3 to the Phillies at Citizen's Bank Park, and lose the finale of the series 3-2.  A good -- if wild -- Sunday outing by Ohtani, who goes 7 strong giving up just 1 earned run (7 Ks) (with 4 (!) wild pitches) but a costly error by Tommy La Stella doom the effort.  Andrelton Simmons with another two-hit effort, his season batting average remains at a robust .330.

Screenshot 2020-07-19 14.44.36.jpg

Angels are starting to lose touch with the Wild Card leaders.  They drop Game 1 of the series to the Yankees and now sit five games back of the Twins for the second Wild Card slot.  More concerningly, they are now in danger of getting passed by Boston and KC, who are also at 49 wins in the win column.

Final score of this one, 6-3.  Yankees outslug the Angels three homers to none.  It occurs to me that one huge downside of this simulated season is that the teams are so static.  There are no trades (that I know of) (they haven't given you any ability to do so, have they @Jeff Fletcher?)  So it's essentially what you see is what you get for 162 games.  Tough to address your obvious shortcomings or try to load up for a pennant run without the ability to trade or call up youngsters who might be tearing it up in AAA.  This is around the time of year you might see some of those deals...

Screenshot 2020-07-20 16.04.23.jpg

14 hours ago, Slegnaac said:

Call ups from AAA are possible, even necessary when players are injured.  I am pretty sure Rengifo has been up and down twice.

That's true.  But I suspect that the only players who are called up from AAA are those known commodities that are on the 40 man roster.  I was referring more to the phenom who has a breakout season and forces consideration.  I'm sure Rengifo, when he comes up, has a card just based on what he did last year, so there's nothing dynamic about that.  I guess I was just lamenting, with the way Strat-o-matic is simulating this, that there is no opportunity to add a missing piece or fix a glaring hole through solutions like trades.

On 4/25/2020 at 9:44 PM, Jeff Fletcher said:

They actually asked me when I wanted to bring up Adell and I asked how he’s doing in AAA. They produced some kind of simulated AAA stats and he was OPSing like .775 or something. I told them to update me again in a week. 

Obviously it’s all just silly but I’m going along with it. 

@Capital_Dave - there is some sort of minor league simulation happening.

Angels mix small ball and long ball in this one for a nice 7-5 victory at Yankee Stadium.  If you're new to Strat-o-matic, this is what a "play account" file looks like, here for the second inning:

image.png.1deb2473cffb8bbc186b7bc5fe3ca897.png

The first part shows the number of outs, then which bases are occupied, after the name is the dice roll (with what's called a "split roll" after that, for rolls that have two possible outcomes), then the description, then the progression of runners on that particular play.

The rest of the way, Angels play long ball.  A two-run homer in the fourth by Trout, then solo shots in the fifth by Upton and Adell.

Canning gets the win with the bare minimum (5IP, 5ER) (he looked much better IRL last night!) but again it's the usual bullpen progression of Bedrock, Middleton, Barnes, and Robles that throws shutout ball from there.

Screenshot 2020-07-21 14.38.40.jpg

2 hours ago, Capital_Dave said:

I'll stop daily updates on Thursday.  I agree, once the season starts it's unnecessary.  But until then: baseball content!

Pretend Angels started out like a Hindenberg in search of some static electricity. They patched the leak for a while but lately they've been flaming out. Real ball arrives none too soon. Now the flame-out either happens or doesn't.  Not enough time stumble and rebound. The Angels start hot or fuggedabouddid.

Best wishes for the Pretend Angels in their further quests, however.

In a surprise, Strat-o-matic simulated the rest of the season in one fell swoop and posted everything at once today.  The Angels finish the season four games over .500, but 7 games back in the Wild Card.  The Dodgers beat the Phillies in the NLDS (3-1), the Nationals in the NLCS (4-1), and the Astros in the World Series (4-1) to win it all.

Trout, Rendon, and Simmons must have been pretty pedestrian in the last few months of the simulated season.  They were all batting above .310 as of yesterday's results, but they ended up at .292, .303, and .306 respectively.  Regression to the mean, I guess...

According to Stratomatic, your individual award winners were:

AL MVP: Alex Bregman
NL MVP: Trevor Story
AL Cy Young: Justin Verlander
NL Cy Young: Clayton Kershaw
AL Rookie of the Year: Luis Robert
NL Rookie of the Year: Shogo Akiyama

Story and Soler are their leagues' home run kings, each with 51.  Batting champions are Arraez (.356) and Arenado (.338)  Clayton Kershaw's the only 20-game winner in either league, finishing with 21.

Final Angels stats are attached, along with the final (chalky) playoff bracket.

Thanks for following along this season.  It was interesting to watch the season play out one game at a time, but it will be more interesting to see real life baseball in the months to come.  Go (REAL) Angels!

Screenshot 2020-07-22 14.05.20.jpg

Screenshot 2020-07-22 14.20.28.jpg

Simba still had a nice slash for the season.

.355/,442/.797

Pitching staff results were much better than a year ago.   Sub 4.00 ERA, no starter having an ERA over 4.42

Seven starters made all but one start between them.   I'm gathering that injuries are simply not easy to simulate.

I'll take that kind of pitching health every day of the week.  

Edited by Angel Oracle