• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Strat-O-Matic Simulates the Season: The Official Thread (Angels 83-79, 3rd in AL West, 7 GB Wild Card) ** SEASON ENDED, DODGERS WIN WORLD SERIES

Angels score three runs three batters into the game, and cruise from there, ending up with a 7-4 victory.  Julio Teheran gets a nice ovation from the Braves fans in his first start back in Atlanta.  He scores the win with a wobbly (5.1IP, 4ER) start and many Braves fans say, "yeah, that kind of start looks awfully familiar."  Big line from Rendon, who went 3-for-4 with 5 RBIs.  

Screenshot 2020-07-04 15.15.17.png

A disappointing loss for Angels fans, as Ryan Buchter suffers the unusual misstep in the midst of a pretty stellar season for the Angels, loading the bases in the 8th.  Bedrosian comes in and walks home the go-ahead run and the Angels lose 4-3.  Spoils a good start by Andrew Heaney (6IP, 2ER).  Trout, Rendon, and Simmons continue hitting well, all remain above .310 on the season.

Screenshot 2020-07-04 15.18.40.png

Angels defense fell apart in this one, with the Bad News Angels committing 4 errors on the game.  Nothing wrong with the offense, which got 12 hits on the game, including multiple hits by Trout, Rendon, Upton, and Simmons.  David Fletcher suffers a significant injury in the first inning that will send him to the IL for a 3 weeks, meaning Tommy LaStella will likely be a staple at 2B for the foreseeable future (unless Rengifo gets a look?)

Capture.JPG

Rengifo gets the callup, bats leadoff and goes 2-for-3 with two doubles.  🤩  Angels win their first game back at home, 4-1.

Great game for Angels pitching.  Andriese gets the win and the bullpen throws 4.2 hitless, scoreless innings, allowing just one baserunner.

Screenshot 2020-07-06 22.15.58.jpg

So much to like about this game for the Halos. 

Offense: check.  17 hits altogether including a monster 4-for-5 game for J-Up.  He gets a double and a homer, scoring three runs and plating three as well. 

Defense: check.  Not just one, but two web gems, with Anthony Rendon and Noe Ramirez both flashing the leather.  Angels play error-free baseball.

Pitching: check.  Starting pitching still a bit iffy, but as has been a theme lately, the bullpen was rock-solid, in this one combining for 4.2 innings of shutout ball.

Screenshot 2020-07-07 14.43.29.jpg

Angels complete the sweep vs. the Tigers, riding a very strong pitching performance by Shohei Ohtani (6.2 IP, 1ER, 11Ks) en route to a 3-1 victory.  Ohtani, batting cleanup with the Angels again foregoing the DH, tacks on a base hit, a stolen base, and a run scored for good measure.  Upton's on a 7-game hitting streak, belting his 14th homer in this one.

Screenshot 2020-07-08 14.05.42.jpg

Stratomatic named the All Star Squads for the AL and NL today, including a "Final Four" vote where you can participate by clicking here

The game will be played live online on July 14th, with Drew Carey managing the AL All Stars.  Given that there's a passing resemblance to Joe Maddon, I'll allow it.

Mike Trout gets the start in CF.  Anthony Rendon is a reserve at 3B.

Here is the AL Squad.  Have at it, libs...

Screenshot 2020-07-08 17.32.09.jpg

A bit of a heartbreaking loss for the Angels.  Tied 2-2 in the 9th, Jonathan Schoop gets a pivotal two-out homer in the top of the ninth off Hansel Robles to give the Tigers a 3-2 lead.  The Angels look like they're going to tie it in the bottom of the ninth, with Trout and Rendon hitting back to back single to lead off the inning.  Upton and Adell strike out, and Andrelton Simmons hits a single, but Mike Trout gets tagged out at home trying to score, with Austin Romine successfully blocking the plate.  Trouty goes 4-for-4 (all singles) in this one, to bring his batting average up to .320.  

Screenshot 2020-07-09 14.25.19.jpg

The Angels kick off a Freeway Series with a loss to the cross-town Dodgers, 4-1.  Clayton Kershaw ran his record up to 14-2 (!!) by throwing 6 innings of 3 hit, 1 run ball.   Jo Adell is too young to be intimidated by Kershaw.  Instead he smacked his 8th homer of the year, going 2-for-4, but otherwise the Angels bats were largely silent for this one.  Albert Pujols set a new major league baseball record for most GIDP for a career... a record he extends with some regularity.

Screenshot 2020-07-10 14.08.35.jpg

In their last game of the first half of the season, the Angels drop their second straight to the Dodgers, by the same score, 4-1.  Most of the Dodgers offense comes from young catcher Will Smith, who goes 2-for-3 with 2 homers.  Not much going for the Angels on this one.  Griffin Canning threw a quality start.  That's about the nicest thing I can say about this one.  Angels head into the All Star Break as a thoroughly mediocre .500 team, 3.5 games back of the Wild Card leading Twins.

Screenshot 2020-07-11 14.12.23.jpg

9 hours ago, Tank said:

@Capital_Dave I applaud you for your determination in continuing to keep doing this.

Thanks.  As @Angelsjunky notes, a man has needs...

I figure some baseball content is better than none, even if it is pretend.  I'll cut back to once a week updates once the real season starts... and then I'll resume daily updates once the real season is cancelled.

36 minutes ago, Capital_Dave said:

Thanks.  As @Angelsjunky notes, a man has needs...

I figure some baseball content is better than none, even if it is pretend.  I'll cut back to once a week updates once the real season starts... and then I'll resume daily updates once the real season is cancelled.

Sort of like the Saturday morning TWIB.

I agree with @Tank, thank you for your dedication to posting the box scores.  

Man, the TWIB reference took me back to my childhood.  And sent me down a rabbit hole of binging old TWIB episodes on YouTube.

But I need your help with something: what in the world is the team uniform at 3:36 in the video below?  Untucked, with a faux-collar, high white stirrups.  Never seen that uniform in my life.

image.png

Answering my own question.  After a little more research, I figured out it was the White Sox.  And it wasn't a faux-collar... it was a real collared shirt.   And this was the same era where they briefly experimented with wearing shorts for MLB games!  Oh Internet how I love you.

https://news.sportslogos.net/2016/08/08/a-short-experiment-the-story-of-the-chicago-white-sox-shorts/

Screenshot 2020-07-14 10.39.44.jpg

56 minutes ago, Capital_Dave said:

Answering my own question.  After a little more research, I figured out it was the White Sox.  And it wasn't a faux-collar... it was a real collared shirt.   And this was the same era where they briefly experimented with wearing shorts for MLB games!  Oh Internet how I love you.

https://news.sportslogos.net/2016/08/08/a-short-experiment-the-story-of-the-chicago-white-sox-shorts/

The Goose in shorts, now there's a sight 😂.

1 hour ago, Capital_Dave said:

Those were the days!

1 hour ago, Capital_Dave said:

A guy I grew up with played with the Chisox during this period, a catcher named Mike Colbern. His career ended when the Sox signed Carlton Fisk.