• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Strat-O-Matic Simulates the Season: The Official Thread (Angels 83-79, 3rd in AL West, 7 GB Wild Card) ** SEASON ENDED, DODGERS WIN WORLD SERIES

5 hours ago, Capital_Dave said:

I think there's entertainment value in a day-by-day Strat simulation, and some insights to be gained by seeing how projected performance plays out in a long 162 game season. 

Life itself is variable.  The "dice rolls and card pulls" play out every day in a real-world baseball season.  We made PLENTY of fortunate rolls last year in that Tyler Skaggs tribute no-hitter!  That was never "supposed" to happen.

Strat doesn't work that way. The mere existence of the possible tribute nono is why projected stats for Strat cards is even more random in these results.

In the Strat world, it is possible for a pitcher with a real 2.00 ERA over 200 innings 20 HRs can (and by experience sometimes does) end a replay season with 3.50 over 200 and 40+ HRs allowed. 

Simulation is kewl, but I wouldn't read any future REAL results as likely based on it. Probably not even probable.

14 hours ago, Richbert88 said:

Strat doesn't work that way. The mere existence of the possible tribute nono is why projected stats for Strat cards is even more random in these results.

In the Strat world, it is possible for a pitcher with a real 2.00 ERA over 200 innings 20 HRs can (and by experience sometimes does) end a replay season with 3.50 over 200 and 40+ HRs allowed. 

Simulation is kewl, but I wouldn't read any future REAL results as likely based on it. Probably not even probable.

I know how Strat works, I'm in a league myself.  No one is trying to draw REAL results based on it.  I only meant that a simulation provides an interesting window on whether you have the right mix of resources on your team.  It is by no means conclusive.  

More importantly, it provides a welcome distraction during these End Days we're all living through.  In our post-apocalyptic hellscape, at least there's Angels baseball to look forward to every afternoon at 2PM!

Another Angels off day today as they fly to Houston.  Last time we had an off-day I posted the batting major league leaders.  Today, I'll share the pitching major league leaders, year-to-date.  No Angels here either. 

Don't fret about our old friend Sean Newcomb leading the league in losses.  He's got a 3.22 ERA, 1.16 WHIP, 9.3 K/9 over four starts.  Just getting zero run support.  He's doing really well, actually.  Wins and losses are just dumb pitching stats.

Screenshot 2020-04-16 14.10.12.jpg

5 hours ago, Capital_Dave said:

I know how Strat works, I'm in a league myself.  No one is trying to draw REAL results based on it.  I only meant that a simulation provides an interesting window on whether you have the right mix of resources on your team.  It is by no means conclusive.  

More importantly, it provides a welcome distraction during these End Days we're all living through.  In our post-apocalyptic hellscape, at least there's Angels baseball to look forward to every afternoon at 2PM!

Then you know, its interesting and a fun distraction. And it's not a window. Its a 2nd grader level finger painting. Not really relevant to the right mix of resources.

Alex Bregman comes off the IL and makes up for lost time vs. the Halos, smacking two homers as the Astros win the first game of the series, 6-5.  Albert Pujols hits his first home run of the season... and then promptly suffers a ninth inning injury which will keep him out of the lineup for the next 10 games.  Matt Thaiss... this is your moment to shine.  Go get 'em.

Screenshot 2020-04-17 14.05.19.jpg

I'm sorry to report that the Angels won today by a final score of 2-1, and therefore missed the opportunity to clinch a World Series championship by going 6-14 to start the season.  Instead, we're stuck with a win against the Astros to go to 7-13.  Matt Thaiss, in his first start since Pujols was placed on the 10-day IL, went 1 for 3 and scored one of the Angels' two runs.  Angels starter Julio Teheran put in the best start of any Angels pitcher this season, throwing six innings of shutout ball.  Robles had a shaky appearance but still earned the save.  Jarred Walsh was called up to take Pujols' spot on the roster.

Screenshot 2020-04-18 14.28.02.jpg

Angels rally late to tie the game 5-5 in the 8th inning, then lose a heartbreaker, 6-5 in 11 innings.  The only silver lining comes in the 6th, when the Astros lose two All Stars to injury for multiple games (Altuve, Springer).  But alas, that won't help the Angels, who won't play the Astros again until August.  They head home to host the Orioles and White Sox for a juicy seven game homestand.  Let's see if we can beat up on some of our fellow doormats.

Screenshot 2020-04-19 14.08.12.jpg

Angels deliver their most convincing win of the season, smashing 5 homers (two by J-Up) en route to a 10-2 victory.  Matt Andriese posts his second consecutive quality start, going 7 strong for the W.  Thaiss has decided to do an Albert Pujols impersonation at the plate, not exactly seizing the opportunity.

Screenshot 2020-04-20 at 23.26.28.png

Dodgers GM Andrew Friedman receives a printout of today's box score with a heart around Luis Rengifo's line (2 for 4, batting leadoff, with a first-inning web gem robbing Jose Iglesias of a hit, now batting .364 with limited at-bats).  The anonymous valentine is from "Marti Oreno" who asks, "Baby, can't we just give this another try?"  An army of Angels fans dream of Ross Stripling in the Angels rotation and Joc Pederson on the strong end of a right field platoon.  Meanwhile, back in this simulated version of reality, the Angels lose a ho-hum game to the O's, 5-2, despite outhitting Baltimore 8-4.  One of those hits is a three-run bomb by Renato Nunez that provides all the runs the team would need.  Bullpen's a bright spot in this one for the Halos, giving up just one hit in four innings of quality work.

Screenshot 2020-04-21 15.10.04.png

Sandoval, cruises through 5 innings.  However he cannot record an out in the 6th inning.  After allowing 2 runs to score, and with 2 runners on he is pulled in favor of Middleton.  Middleton promptly gives up the 3 run HR to R. Nunez before retiring the next 3 batters.

Angels with an absolute turd of a game, shut out by the O’s 7-0.  Wade LeBlanc owns the Halos until he pulls up lame with a nine-game injury in the 4th, but the bullpen takes the baton and throws up zeroes in the remaining innings to complete the three-hit shutout.  Justin Anderson struggles in his first game action of the year.

14447EE0-E686-4F6A-AF7A-36BC8C96EC32.jpeg

We've got to be getting close to a legit Jo Adell call up date, right @Jeff Fletcher?

Ronald Acuna Jr. was called up on his team's 23rd game of the season in 2018.  We just played Game 24.  Wouldn't Adell's first service time cutoff be right around now?  

Goodwin's batting .189 and we're 8 games under .500 already.  Just sayin'.  Pull the trigger!