• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Strat-O-Matic Simulates the Season: The Official Thread (Angels 83-79, 3rd in AL West, 7 GB Wild Card) ** SEASON ENDED, DODGERS WIN WORLD SERIES

Angels start their homestand with a tough hard-fought loss to the Tribe, by a score of 5-4.  Mike Clevinger strikes out 11 over six innings of work to earn the win.  Shohei Ohtani responds to recent criticism on AngelsWin by hitting his sixth homer of the season and very nearly walking the game off with his second homer; with the tying run on base, Ohtani's blast to deep right chased Jordan Luplow back to the warning track, but ultimately, the ball dropped into Luplow's mitt and the game was over.  

Screenshot 2020-05-25 14.24.53.jpg

DRIVE HOME SAFELY!   Jo Adell strokes a game-winning single to left, his first-ever walk-off base hit, scoring Albert Pujols from 2nd, as the Angels beat the AL-Central leading Indians 3-2.  The Angels were down 2-1 in the bottom of the ninth after another great start by Matt Andriese (surprisingly effective so far this season) who lowers his seasonal ERA to 3.48.  Doubles by Rendon and Pujols set up Adell for the game winner.  The Angels move into a tie for third place in the division, which... I guess counts for progress?

Screenshot 2020-05-26 15.07.51.jpg

As predicted by @Slegnaac and as hinted at by @Jeff Fletcher, the Angels forego the DH, and Shohei Ohtani starts and bats cleanup, likely making American League history in the process!  He did go 0-for-3 but the pitching line was nothing short of spectacular.  7IP, 0ER, 8Ks, giving up just two hits.  Ohtani left the game with the score tied 0-0, but a 7th inning, 2RBI double by Matt Thaiss would provide the offense needed to seal the win for Ohtani.  Robles pitches a perfect ninth to earn the save.

Screenshot 2020-05-27 14.23.18.jpg

First day off for our Pretend Angels in two weeks, but they move into sole possession of third place in the division due to a Rangers loss.  So... yay.

I learned yesterday of a second slow-played, real-time simulation of this season, which is being staged by Out of the Park 2021 in conjunction with BaseballReference.com.  I learned about this because Baseball Reference is reporting the results of this simulation on their real-world stat pages, which just seems all sorts of wrong.  

Let's check in on the standings in that parallel-parallel-universe simulation.  And if after reviewing this you ask, "Well Capital _Dave why aren't you doing daily updates of this far happier alternate universe where the Angels have a winning record?" I would say, "A.) That's a very good question... I regret many of my life decisions. and B.) @Jeff Fletcher isn't managing the Baseball Reference pretend team so does it really matter so much?"

Screenshot 2020-05-28 14.05.24.jpg

4 hours ago, Capital_Dave said:

First day off for our Pretend Angels in two weeks, but they move into sole possession of third place in the division due to a Rangers loss.  So... yay.

I learned yesterday of a second slow-played, real-time simulation of this season, which is being staged by Out of the Park 2021 in conjunction with BaseballReference.com.  I learned about this because Baseball Reference is reporting the results of this simulation on their real-world stat pages, which just seems all sorts of wrong.  

Let's check in on the standings in that parallel-parallel-universe simulation.  And if after reviewing this you ask, "Well Capital _Dave why aren't you doing daily updates of this far happier alternate universe where the Angels have a winning record?" I would say, "A.) That's a very good question... I regret many of my life decisions. and B.) @Jeff Fletcher isn't managing the Baseball Reference pretend team so does it really matter so much?"

Screenshot 2020-05-28 14.05.24.jpg

The BR sim ignored some reality. I believe they had Ohtani and Canning in the rotation all year long. 

Griffin Canning extends his streak; he's now pitched 11.2 innings of shutout baseball to start the season, after getting a late start due to "chronic changes to the ulnar collateral ligament and acute joint irritation in his right elbow."  He earns his second win in as many starts, shutting down a formidable Yankee lineup.  One thing's for sure: this rotation looks a hell of a lot better with Canning and Ohtani in it. 

Jo Adell gets his second career homer.   Mike Trout is in the midst of an uncharacteristic slump; he's batting 1-for-20 (.050) in his last five games.  These things happen, even in pretend baseball.

Screenshot 2020-05-29 14.05.46.jpg

12 minutes ago, Capital_Dave said:

Griffin Canning extends his streak; he's now pitched 11.2 innings of shutout baseball to start the season, after getting a late start due to "chronic changes to the ulnar collateral ligament and acute joint irritation in his right elbow."  He earns his second win in as many starts, shutting down a formidable Yankee lineup.  One thing's for sure: this rotation looks a hell of a lot better with Canning and Ohtani in it. 

Jo Adell gets his second career homer.   Mike Trout is in the midst of an uncharacteristic slump; he's batting 1-for-20 (.050) in his last five games.  These things happen, even in pretend baseball.

Screenshot 2020-05-29 14.05.46.jpg

And the team takes over sole possession of 3rd place,  moving ahead of the Rangers.

Edit: I forgot they did that yesterday.

Edited by Slegnaac

A little different but I completed the road to October mode in MLB the show 20 with the Angels and I won the World Series in seven games against the Dodgers. I made some trades during the season though like trading away Barria in a package for Josh Bell and getting SP Eduardo Rodriguez for minor Leaguers. The game never brought up Adell though so Goodwin was my right fielder.

The Angels finished 1st in batting but 26th in pitching. For those not familiar with the mode, I actually have to play either a full game or they put me in scenarios where the team goes on cold or hot streaks depending on if you win or lose. They ended up winning 94 games and I had to play a one-game playoff against the White Sox for the wild-card. I next played the Yankees and won in 5. Then the twins who somehow beat the Astros and I won in 6 games.  

Trout absolutely stunk against the Yankees and through the first three games against the twins before finally starting to play like himself.

20200528_005153_HDR.thumb.jpg.c7948d6c02ccb80764f171b3975d5ca2.jpg

20200528_005353_HDR.thumb.jpg.1b91bd596b04440fdbc124ec013721c5.jpg

The Angels complete the sweep over the Yankees and have now won 8 of their last 10 games.  Jo Adell is heating up; he gets his second homer of the series and goes 1 for 2 with 2 walks.  Julio Teheran is more than just eating innings; his ERA is down to 3.41 on the season.  Robles gets a day off and Middleton earns the save in his stead.

Screenshot 2020-05-31 14.00.52.jpg

Angels hit the road and win the first game of their road trip and their sixth in a row.  Mike Trout (16th) and Shohei Ohtani (8th) hit homers in this one, and Anthony Rendon also makes a tremendous impact as the Angels 2-3-4 hitters all contribute three hits with 7 RBIs combined.  Matt Andriese gets his team-leading 7th win on the season (further, he's on the overall leaderboard, just one off the major-league lead... Cole, Chirinos, and Kershaw all have eight wins).

Screenshot 2020-06-01 14.01.06.jpg

Ty Buttrey blows the lead in the 8th and the Angels head into the 9th inning down 1 facing the Rangers' closer.  Worrisome... until you realize their closer is Jose LeClerc.  The Angels go bananas against LeClerc, ultimately tallying 9 runs in the 9th inning, as the Angels embarrass the Rangers 16-8.  LeClerc's ERA has ballooned to 8.18.  7th straight win for the Angels.  The winning pitcher is the guy who blew the lead, Ty Buttrey, because wins remain a dumb stat.  Jo Adell continues his hot streak, smacking another homer (his first career home run on the road) and going 3-for-5 with three extra base hits.

Screenshot 2020-06-02 14.44.28.jpg