• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Scott Boras pitches 162-game MLB schedule with a World Series game on Christmas

9 minutes ago, Don said:

The amount of stuff that would have to come together for that to work, and the amount of people/organizations that would have to come to agreements to make it work seems like a tall order.

I like the Boras plan, in general.  I also like Rosenthal/Stark's ideas (theathletic.com) on radical ideas for a pandemic year of baseball.

29 minutes ago, SoPas Angel said:

Neutral-site postseason games sound awful. That being said, I wouldn't be opposed to trying it for one season, just because I would love to see a full season of games. 

Boras, of course, doesn't care about seeing a full season of games, he only cares about a full season of revenue. 

It is more than that, if the World Series is played on Christmas, that means regular season goes until near the end of November.  To @Blarg's point, you can't play games in the North East or Midwest in November, snow and freezing temps are common.

1 minute ago, nate said:

It is more than that, if the World Series is played on Christmas, that means regular season goes until near the end of November.  To @Blarg's point, you can't play games in the North East or Midwest in November, snow and freezing temps are common.

I know, it sounds like a logistics nightmare. I assume they would try to schedule it so that teams in the West and South could host as many games as possible in November.

I don't want this to be the new norm, I just wouldn't be opposed to them trying it for one year. I'm really missing baseball right now (more than usual, for a very personal reason).

That being said, I don't think anyone thinks there is a chance in hell of it happening. 

51 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Maybe that Dumbass has never spent a November on the east coast or better yet, hung out in Minnesota. Stretching the season to late October is stupid enough but crossover November to December? Scott has been doing too much medicinal and has smoked himself stupid. 

l think he wants for the east coast teams to play most of the home games in June, July, August, and away games when the weather turns cold. It could make for some long road trips.

I just dont think its realistic to assume the season can go any later than originally scheduled. 
AS of right now the teams will still need a minimum of a couple week to get up to par.  So if we assume things get back to normal around Easter (optimistically speaking) your looking at the season starting first week of May-ish and we open the season against the Twins on May 1 and assume the season from there?   
Your looking at a minimum of about 30-40 games lost or about 110-120 games played.
This is just me spitballing and not intended to be anything other than that but i dont know what other options they would have to keep games played balanced and whatnot. 

In the 1981 labor dispute season they split the season (up to the strike, then after the strike)  and added a playoff round between the two half season leaders. 

The strike was about six weeks. In the end the season amounted to about 110 games, not all teams playing the exact same number. In a shrewd PR move the all star game was rescheduled to inaugurate the 'return of baseball.' I remember vaguely that Gary Carter was the big star, homering and making a great tag play on a laser throw from Dave Parker in right field. 

Despite the acrimony of the dispute the all star game kicked off an exciting second half, with the half pennant a viable goal for most teams. 

If this season is to be salvaged they need a big start. Possibly some kind of all star or challenge type event to grab fan interest again. If there is a reduced schedule, it will actually make things exciting all around. The lower ranked teams will have a better chance while the top teams will have more pressure to live up to expectations. 

29 minutes ago, floplag said:

I just dont think its realistic to assume the season can go any later than originally scheduled. 
AS of right now the teams will still need a minimum of a couple week to get up to par.  So if we assume things get back to normal around Easter (optimistically speaking) your looking at the season starting first week of May-ish and we open the season against the Twins on May 1 and assume the season from there?   
Your looking at a minimum of about 30-40 games lost or about 110-120 games played.
This is just me spitballing and not intended to be anything other than that but i dont know what other options they would have to keep games played balanced and whatnot. 

There is no way things will be back to normal at Easter.  We are headed for easily passing China for the amount of infections, and that's with China having 5 times more people than are in the US.. People are getting anxious to get outside and do things and mingle, and that's going to stretch out any recovery.  The current numbers  are 64,765 infected (and we still have not tested nearly enough).  What's the real number,  probably somewhere in the hundreds of thousands at this point.  I can't see any way to play this season.  If the season were to start on June 1st, and new infections were still occurring in significant numbers, would you really take the chance to go to a crowded stadium, and sit around and interact with people you don't know are carriers or not for the sake of watching a baseball game?  I wouldn't.  My biggest concern is that hospitals are going to be so overwhelmed that there will be significant secondary deaths not caused by Covid directly, but by hospitals not having the resources to treat other significant diseases and then deaths occur from these situations.  That has already happened in Italy.  Too many people in this  country are still underestimating the severity of this crisis.  The number of cases are doubling roughly every three days.  That has got to lesson or hospitals will eventually collapse under the pressure.   

22 minutes ago, tomsred said:

There is no way things will be back to normal at Easter.  We are headed for easily passing China for the amount of infections, and that's with China having 5 times more people than are in the US.. People are getting anxious to get outside and do things and mingle, and that's going to stretch out any recovery.  The current numbers  are 64,765 infected (and we still have not tested nearly enough).  What's the real number,  probably somewhere in the hundreds of thousands at this point.  I can't see any way to play this season.  If the season were to start on June 1st, and new infections were still occurring in significant numbers, would you really take the chance to go to a crowded stadium, and sit around and interact with people you don't know are carriers or not for the sake of watching a baseball game?  I wouldn't.  My biggest concern is that hospitals are going to be so overwhelmed that there will be significant secondary deaths not caused by Covid directly, but by hospitals not having the resources to treat other significant diseases and then deaths occur from these situations.  That has already happened in Italy.  Too many people in this  country are still underestimating the severity of this crisis.  The number of cases are doubling roughly every three days.  That has got to lesson or hospitals will eventually collapse under the pressure.   

This is exactly what everyone should be focused on, not when are we going to play baseball. 

1 hour ago, tomsred said:

Probably right, im just trying to maintain a little optimism over doom and gloom.
At whatever point things get back to normal, you pick up from there is the point.  Whatever is lost between now and then is simply lost.  There is no logic to thinking the season will extend beyond current schedule.

1 hour ago, tomsred said:

I think all of this is correct, particularly the part about hospitals being so overwhelmed that non-Coronavirus patients will be lost in the shuffle. (My father has cancer and is due to start another round of treatments April 29; I would be shocked if that happens as scheduled.) 

But AW is where I come several times per day to think about baseball and not the real world, so I am guilty of being too sanguine about the season being played.