Sign in to follow this  
Jeff Fletcher

Great moments in Angels opening days

Recommended Posts

outside of the inaugural game in 1961, i'm not sure there's really a great opening day for this franchise, at least none that i can remember.

although raising the banner in 2003 was pretty darn awesome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

1970 was probably the most fun, a 13-0 rout of the Brewers in Milwaukee, in their first game as the Brewers after relocating from Seattle just 2-3 weeks earlier. 

The Halos went on to win their first 5 games that season, and eventually tied their franchise record at the time with 86 wins.

Edited by Angel Oracle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I remember the Angels opener in 2012 against the Royals at the Big A.

Jared Weaver started and pitched his ass of for 8 innings, giving up 3 hits I believe but the score was still 0-0 in the bottom of the 8th.  As a fan, I thought another great Weaver start was going to be wasted but the Angels scored 5 in the bottom of the 8th to make it 5-0.  Scott Downs came in to finish the 9th.

The Angels went on to win 89 games that year but the Angels won that game before Trout was called up.  This was the start of the Mike Trout era at the end of that month.

Edited by PattyD22

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PattyD22 said:

I remember the Angels opener in 2012 against the Royals at the Big A.

Jared Weaver started and pitched his ass of for 8 innings, giving up 3 hits I believe but the score was still 0-0 in the bottom of the 8th.  As a fan, I thought another great Weaver start was going to be wasted but the Angels scored 5 in the bottom of the 8th to make it 5-0.  Scott Downs came in to finish the 9th.

I was on vacation in Florida of all places. (It was not my idea.) I insisted we be back at my girlfriend's parents house (that's why we were there) by 10 so I could see Albert's debut in an Angels uniform. He went hitless. Boy, I hated that season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, SoPas Angel said:

I was on vacation in Florida of all places. (It was not my idea.) I insisted we be back at my girlfriend's parents house (that's why we were there) by 10 so I could see Albert's debut in an Angels uniform. He went hitless. Boy, I hated that season. 

That was the most blue balls season ever outside of trout.

We should have won 110 games that year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SoPas Angel said:

I was on vacation in Florida of all places. (It was not my idea.) I insisted we be back at my girlfriend's parents house (that's why we were there) by 10 so I could see Albert's debut in an Angels uniform. He went hitless. Boy, I hated that season. 

We went to spring training that year and watched Trout play. This was before I really knew about the “business” side of baseball and we couldn’t wait to see Trout play.  
 

Then he started in the minors and we really didn’t understand why until some more informed people around us explained why.  Regardless, the Angels won that opening game with Vernon Wells in CF I believe, and we had to wait several weeks to see Trout get called up and play LF.

The rest is history, but for some reason that opener sticks in my mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, PattyD22 said:

This was before I really knew about the “business” side of baseball and we couldn’t wait to see Trout play.

Trout already had a bunch of service time in 2011 so him starting 2012 in the minors had nothing to do with that. He had mono in spring training (and also a shoulder injury, I believe). That’s why he started the season in the minors. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember the 1986 opener in Seattle when Bobby Grich homered on the very first pitch of the season. The Angels ended up losing that game in extras, but the early homer was a good omen for the '86 season (until Dave Henderson, of course).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm struggling to remember an Angels opening day game where I was just blown away at how great it was. 

I think it's because every opening day game has been exciting to me, so they've all been pretty similar. But I can't remember an epic comebacks, no-hitters or special feats that happened.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I'm struggling to remember an Angels opening day game where I was just blown away at how great it was. 

I think it's because every opening day game has been exciting to me, so they've all been pretty similar. But I can't remember an epic comebacks, no-hitters or special feats that happened.

You guys are killing me! I've only been here since 2013, so I am counting on you guys!

I came up with 5, somehow. You can read about them later today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

You guys are killing me! I've only been here since 2013, so I am counting on you guys!

I came up with 5, somehow. You can read about them later today.

I look forward to reading about them Jeff. I just can't remember a monumental opening day game outside of the pregame festivities. 

I guess the Pujols opening day in 2012 was special. I was there for that one with @Bruce Nye.

Can't remember if we won or lost though. The final score was lost in the overall excitement of it all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last two home openers that stand out were Ryan’s one hitter over the M’s in 1977, and a 20 innings win over the M’s that iirc stretched over 2 evenings.  I left that 20 innings game after about 11 innings to go to work the next morning, and that was also the night that the Kings finished their shocking SC playoff series win over the top NHL team Edmonton Oilers and Gretzky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this