• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Great moments in Angels opening days

1970 was probably the most fun, a 13-0 rout of the Brewers in Milwaukee, in their first game as the Brewers after relocating from Seattle just 2-3 weeks earlier. 

The Halos went on to win their first 5 games that season, and eventually tied their franchise record at the time with 86 wins.

Edited by Angel Oracle

I remember the Angels opener in 2012 against the Royals at the Big A.

Jared Weaver started and pitched his ass of for 8 innings, giving up 3 hits I believe but the score was still 0-0 in the bottom of the 8th.  As a fan, I thought another great Weaver start was going to be wasted but the Angels scored 5 in the bottom of the 8th to make it 5-0.  Scott Downs came in to finish the 9th.

The Angels went on to win 89 games that year but the Angels won that game before Trout was called up.  This was the start of the Mike Trout era at the end of that month.

Edited by PattyD22

1 hour ago, PattyD22 said:

I remember the Angels opener in 2012 against the Royals at the Big A.

Jared Weaver started and pitched his ass of for 8 innings, giving up 3 hits I believe but the score was still 0-0 in the bottom of the 8th.  As a fan, I thought another great Weaver start was going to be wasted but the Angels scored 5 in the bottom of the 8th to make it 5-0.  Scott Downs came in to finish the 9th.

I was on vacation in Florida of all places. (It was not my idea.) I insisted we be back at my girlfriend's parents house (that's why we were there) by 10 so I could see Albert's debut in an Angels uniform. He went hitless. Boy, I hated that season. 

49 minutes ago, SoPas Angel said:

I was on vacation in Florida of all places. (It was not my idea.) I insisted we be back at my girlfriend's parents house (that's why we were there) by 10 so I could see Albert's debut in an Angels uniform. He went hitless. Boy, I hated that season. 

That was the most blue balls season ever outside of trout.

We should have won 110 games that year.

1 hour ago, SoPas Angel said:

We went to spring training that year and watched Trout play. This was before I really knew about the “business” side of baseball and we couldn’t wait to see Trout play.  

Then he started in the minors and we really didn’t understand why until some more informed people around us explained why.  Regardless, the Angels won that opening game with Vernon Wells in CF I believe, and we had to wait several weeks to see Trout get called up and play LF.

The rest is history, but for some reason that opener sticks in my mind.

51 minutes ago, PattyD22 said:

This was before I really knew about the “business” side of baseball and we couldn’t wait to see Trout play.

Trout already had a bunch of service time in 2011 so him starting 2012 in the minors had nothing to do with that. He had mono in spring training (and also a shoulder injury, I believe). That’s why he started the season in the minors. 

I'm struggling to remember an Angels opening day game where I was just blown away at how great it was. 

I think it's because every opening day game has been exciting to me, so they've all been pretty similar. But I can't remember an epic comebacks, no-hitters or special feats that happened.

9 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I'm struggling to remember an Angels opening day game where I was just blown away at how great it was. 

I think it's because every opening day game has been exciting to me, so they've all been pretty similar. But I can't remember an epic comebacks, no-hitters or special feats that happened.

You guys are killing me! I've only been here since 2013, so I am counting on you guys!

I came up with 5, somehow. You can read about them later today.

26 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

You guys are killing me! I've only been here since 2013, so I am counting on you guys!

I came up with 5, somehow. You can read about them later today.

I look forward to reading about them Jeff. I just can't remember a monumental opening day game outside of the pregame festivities. 

I guess the Pujols opening day in 2012 was special. I was there for that one with @Bruce Nye.

Can't remember if we won or lost though. The final score was lost in the overall excitement of it all.

Last two home openers that stand out were Ryan’s one hitter over the M’s in 1977, and a 20 innings win over the M’s that iirc stretched over 2 evenings.  I left that 20 innings game after about 11 innings to go to work the next morning, and that was also the night that the Kings finished their shocking SC playoff series win over the top NHL team Edmonton Oilers and Gretzky.