• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jobs and Economic Impact

• Replies 916
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Go ahead a spend your money how you want. Just don't complain you can't buy a house when that obviously isn't a focus of yours. It's just a want. 

This is fair, but I honestly don't complain about it. I just recognize that the possibility of us owning a home in Southern California is a low possibility, at least until my wife finishes grad school and starts her career (she's several years younger than I am). We're fine renting until that point, when we'll decide whether we want to stay in Orange County or move.

My parents also bought their first home in SoCal when they were in their mid-20s. Like you, my dad is in the entertainment industry and has been very successful financially. But not once have they told us, "You're 31. You should own a home by now." They totally understand how difficult it is to buy a home in Southern California in 2020.

30 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Regal Unlimited isn't charging anybody during the months they're closed. So we keep our subscription (it's month to month anyway), but we won't be charged if the theaters aren't open. I'm not sure what will happen if the theaters open in the middle of a month. I'm guessing they'll charge pro-rated subscription fees.

We also have Disney passes (sorry, Blarg), and for every day Disneyland is closed, an additional day will be added to the expiration date on our passes. 

You kids spending all your money on these picture shows. In my day we bought houses with our spare change.

20 minutes ago, Taylor said:

This is fair, but I honestly don't complain about it. I just recognize that the possibility of us owning a home in Southern California is a low possibility, at least until my wife finishes grad school and starts her career (she's several years younger than I am). We're fine renting until that point, when we'll decide whether we want to stay in Orange County or move.

My parents also bought their first home in SoCal when they were in their mid-20s. Like you, my dad is in the entertainment industry and has been very successful financially. But not once have they told us, "You're 31. You should own a home by now." They totally understand how difficult it is to buy a home in Southern California in 2020.

If I were you I'd be saving up right now.  The housing market is going to crater in Calolfornia soon.  

37 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

If I were you I'd be saving up right now.  The housing market is going to crater in Calolfornia soon.  

I'm no housing expert and the OC housing market definitely isn't normal but I can't see how prices don't drop pretty much everywhere given the circumstances.  Bought our townhouse in 2012, listed it contingent on us finding a place in 2018 and we were under contract for over 60% more than we paid which is ridiculous.  I wouldn't buy our place for that but that was the going rate at that time.  I'm hoping for at least a 10% drop if not more so we can see about getting into a house if but only if it makes sense financially.

7 minutes ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

I'm no housing expert and the OC housing market definitely isn't normal but I can't see how prices don't drop pretty much everywhere given the circumstances.  Bought our townhouse in 2012, listed it contingent on us finding a place in 2018 and we were under contract for over 60% more than we paid which is ridiculous.  I wouldn't buy our place for that but that was the going rate at that time.  I'm hoping for at least a 10% drop if not more so we can see about getting into a house if but only if it makes sense financially.

You'd think most first time buyers will be out of the market for a few years now driving prices down

11 minutes ago, Adam said:

You'd think most first time buyers will be out of the market for a few years now driving prices down

That and I would think with job losses, reduction in hours and how hard it would be to actually buy/sell a house right now unless you're doing virtual tours that the market slows quite a bit but maybe Brandon or someone else says that isn't what they're seeing so far.  I think the unknown going forward as far as future outbreaks that result in stay in place orders will make some buyers even more hesitant.  Just like investing I think people who have some money set side, are still employed and ready to move when the opportunity arises can take advantage of the price drops.  That said some parts of OC seem to be more in line with other housing markets that don't always respond rationally so who knows.  Perhaps price drops in other areas are 20% while they're only 5% or so here because people wanting to get into the area make the move.

On 3/30/2020 at 1:22 PM, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

That and I would think with job losses, reduction in hours and how hard it would be to actually buy/sell a house right now unless you're doing virtual tours that the market slows quite a bit but maybe Brandon or someone else says that isn't what they're seeing so far.  I think the unknown going forward as far as future outbreaks that result in stay in place orders will make some buyers even more hesitant.  Just like investing I think people who have some money set side, are still employed and ready to move when the opportunity arises can take advantage of the price drops.  That said some parts of OC seem to be more in line with other housing markets that don't always respond rationally so who knows.  Perhaps price drops in other areas are 20% while they're only 5% or so here because people wanting to get into the area make the move.

Housing prices dropped an average of 20% in 2008. I’m of the opinion this will be much worse. 

1 hour ago, Adam said:

How many people are clothed, educated and eat because middle class Americans give their money away. Economic depression will kill far more than this virus.

This is a very real concern and it's so hard to balance everything. The failure to develop tests and ramp up production successfully was a giant fuckup with tremendous consequences. 

13 hours ago, RallyMo said:

This is a very real concern and it's so hard to balance everything. The failure to develop tests and ramp up production successfully was a giant fuckup with tremendous consequences. 

Yep and I also think this virus was here much sooner than they initially thought. It just shows you how insignificant we humans are to mother nature 

13 hours ago, RallyMo said:

I think moving forward it is going to be important for our labs just to make a shit ton of tests for any new viruses that pop up. It may be a waste of time and money but that is better  than the alternative. The unfortunate thing is we have to rely on honest and accurate data from the countries that the viruses appear in so that isn't encouraging.  Hopefully the Chinese do not expand their food options too much so nothing else crazy like this pops up again for a while. 

22 minutes ago, Jason said:

I think moving forward it is going to be important for our labs just to make a shit ton of tests for any new viruses that pop up. It may be a waste of time and money but that is better  than the alternative. The unfortunate thing is we have to rely on honest and accurate data from the countries that the viruses appear in so that isn't encouraging.  Hopefully the Chinese do not expand their food options too much so nothing else crazy like this pops up again for a while. 

You guys don't know how these tests work do you?  You just can't just make a ton of tests and think it's going to get a lot better for any future event.  Every test for whatever you are testing is different, with different chemicals they use to get results.  So a test for Swine Flu wouldn't work for Bat Flu and won't work for whatever animal it comes from next.

A Dismal Record: Nearly 10 Million Filed For Unemployment In Last 2 Weeks

The unemployment rate — which has been at a nearly 50-year low of 3.5% — is expected to shoot up, with some estimates putting it at 15%. 

But forecasters at Oxford Economics project about 20 million people will lose their jobs in the coming weeks. 

33 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

You guys don't know how these tests work do you?  You just can't just make a ton of tests and think it's going to get a lot better for any future event.  Every test for whatever you are testing is different, with different chemicals they use to get results.  So a test for Swine Flu wouldn't work for Bat Flu and won't work for whatever animal it comes from next.

What makes you think anybody here believes that you can have a test ready to go for a pathogen that we're not aware of?