• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jobs and Economic Impact

• Replies 916
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

48 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Colorado wasn't bad. The weather during the summer is perfect.

I’ve been to Denver half dozen times, mostly in winter. Anything under 40 is no bueno.

i wish my wife liked heat. Would love to live in Scottsdale

10 minutes ago, Adam said:

I’ve been to Denver half dozen times, mostly in winter. Anything under 40 is no bueno.

i wish my wife liked heat. Would love to live in Scottsdale

I liked Denver when I was there, granted it was in June.

10 hours ago, Adam said:

CA is going to attempt to reclassify all rideshare and delivery app drivers as employees. Making them employees would be huge dollars to the State. But it won't work. I know executives within all of the big companies and they will all leave CA. So it will add to joblessness and create a bigger budget shortfall. 

Yeah but the liberals will have won this moral victory. Jobs be damned.

8 hours ago, wopphil said:

Yeah but the liberals will have won this moral victory. Jobs be damned.

I talked to Damon for a half hour last night. I feel a lot better. If the ballot measure passes it will make things a lot easier for us in CA.

21 minutes ago, Lou said:

Once everything starts to get back to normal, employers are going to realize that certain employees are dispensable.

Absolutely.  I'm real curious to see what impact this all has on commercial office space.  Our lease is up this year and we actually have a new space but all plans that were going into it previously are pretty much scrapped because of the requirements put out by the state and OSHA.  They're talking about cameras in the lobby that take your temperature before you can be allowed into the office but then there's the question of legality.  Our east coast office shares space with a large company that is also moving while they've put the hold on the massive build out they were doing in a new office building.  They're still going to need an office but the days of cubicles or even large open trading desks are going the way of the dodo for the foreseeable future. 

3 hours ago, Lou said:

Once everything starts to get back to normal, employers are going to realize that certain employees are dispensable.

I am not so sure. At least in California, between the cost of labor and the difficulty finding qualified employees, I think a lot of the thinning has been done the last few years.

3 hours ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

Absolutely.  I'm real curious to see what impact this all has on commercial office space.  Our lease is up this year and we actually have a new space but all plans that were going into it previously are pretty much scrapped because of the requirements put out by the state and OSHA.  They're talking about cameras in the lobby that take your temperature before you can be allowed into the office but then there's the question of legality.  Our east coast office shares space with a large company that is also moving while they've put the hold on the massive build out they were doing in a new office building.  They're still going to need an office but the days of cubicles or even large open trading desks are going the way of the dodo for the foreseeable future. 

we're starting to work on plans for next year at school. one idea being floated around is limiting class size to 10 students and requiring them to use physical distancing on the playground. this is going to impact the number of rooms needed and the number of teachers hired. on a private school campus like mine, that now creates financial issues and space requirements that the government won't help us with. this is going to be a headache to navigate.

this doesn't even begin to deal with high school sports, or even jr. high sports programs.

49 minutes ago, Tank said:

we're starting to work on plans for next year at school. one idea being floated around is limiting class size to 10 students and requiring them to use physical distancing on the playground. this is going to impact the number of rooms needed and the number of teachers hired. on a private school campus like mine, that now creates financial issues and space requirements that the government won't help us with. this is going to be a headache to navigate.

this doesn't even begin to deal with high school sports, or even jr. high sports programs.

Sounds like a big tuition increase.

4 hours ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

We have had zero drop off in KPIs since moving everyone remote. And we are actually busier and have hired 4 new people since the shutdown. 

There’s really no reason for us to keep paying $20k a month in rent except that our executives all hate working from home.

I don't doubt it but that doesn't necessarily work for every company or industry.  The company I work for spends years courting clients which includes multiple visits to them and vice versa.  In certain parts of the finance industry face to face meetings and building the relationship in person is probably one of the biggest factors outside of fees, products and performance.  I don't see it happening to where we wouldn't have some kind of office rather workers won't be required to come in regularly to work in the office.  One of the downsides is that quite a few admin positions would likely go away and who knows what some of those massive office buildings end up getting used for.  Things are always changing but to me it just seems weird that in the future I could work for a company where I interview online and never meet someone face to face.  I know that's not unusual to some people and the younger generations might prefer it having grown up glued to their phones and technology.  Just seems like that moves a lot of workers one step closer to getting replaced by someone from anywhere in the world who does it cheaper but that's the way of the world and something millions of Americans have experienced.  Part of me thinks getting more disconnected from people by going remote or online isn't a good thing but that's the world we live in. 

42 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

Sounds like a big tuition increase.

which means we'll have fewer students, which then means we'll have to lay off staff.

this has the potential to be a really bad thing for us.

7 minutes ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

I don't doubt it but that doesn't necessarily work for every company or industry.  The company I work for spends years courting clients which includes multiple visits to them and vice versa.  In certain parts of the finance industry face to face meetings and building the relationship in person is probably one of the biggest factors outside of fees, products and performance.  I don't see it happening to where we wouldn't have some kind of office rather workers won't be required to come in regularly to work in the office.  One of the downsides is that quite a few admin positions would likely go away and who knows what some of those massive office buildings end up getting used for.  Things are always changing but to me it just seems weird that in the future I could work for a company where I interview online and never meet someone face to face.  I know that's not unusual to some people and the younger generations might prefer it having grown up glued to their phones and technology.  Just seems like that moves a lot of workers one step closer to getting replaced by someone from anywhere in the world who does it cheaper but that's the way of the world and something millions of Americans have experienced.  Part of me thinks getting more disconnected from people by going remote or online isn't a good thing but that's the world we live in. 

Definitely. Works for us because nearly all of our clients our out of state 

6 hours ago, Adam said:

That seems way low

https://www.kcra.com/article/how-edd-is-dealing-with-increase-in-unemployment-claims/32410859

Yeah, it's going to be way low.  CA EDD doesn't even know what the answer is.  Their numbers is just what they processed.  Not how many have applied.  Heck, they can't even answer how many have applied, and what the wait time is.