• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jobs and Economic Impact

• Replies 916
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, Adam said:

I talked to Damon for a half hour last night. I feel a lot better. If the ballot measure passes it will make things a lot easier for us in CA.

That’s good to hear. I wish I were as optimistic as him.  

We expect there will be a flood of litigation as soon as the plaintiffs attorneys open their doors again. No suits have been filed in O.C. or the IE for almost two months, since the courts have been closed. I think employers are going to get slammed once they re-open. 

9 hours ago, wopphil said:

That’s good to hear. I wish I were as optimistic as him.  

We expect there will be a flood of litigation as soon as the plaintiffs attorneys open their doors again. No suits have been filed in O.C. or the IE for almost two months, since the courts have been closed. I think employers are going to get slammed once they re-open. 

Ha yeah probably

On 5/7/2020 at 2:35 PM, Adam said:

Math can't work. Those companies lose money already. Fewer drivers would want to do it once they experience tax withholdings. Those who do, will be far less productive because they can milk clock. 

To afford WC coverage alone, these companies would have to price the service to a point that no one would pay for it.

I use the same labor firm(s) and lobbyists as they do. They can't operate with W2s

How did Taxis work for so long?

The worst part about AB5 is the collateral damage. Freelancers got fucked. Taxi drivers will get fucked. You can’t just force an entire marketplace to cease existing an reinvent itself. There won’t be consumers on the other end.

@wopphil did you see all the names and departments listed on the lawsuits? Lol fucking politics

22 minutes ago, calscuf said:

Thanks to AB5 my kids will be able to go to school in Newport and not Orange Unified.  That greatly reduces the chances of half-Mexican grandchildren.  So obviously I’m happy about it.

You can use me as an example. I dated a doctor’s daughter for a long time. She became a doctor herself. I ended up marrying Mexican immigrant. This will resulted in me keeping up the in-laws when I could have inherited millions 

21 minutes ago, calscuf said:

Thanks to AB5 my kids will be able to go to school in Newport and not Orange Unified.  That greatly reduces the chances of half-Mexican grandchildren.  So obviously I’m happy about it.

I was actually thinking about the WC implications (and you) this morning. I have a few questions: first, if an employee gets the virus and is hospitalized, presumably their health insurer - not the employer’s comp carrier - will pay the bill. Thus, while Newsom just issued an order allowing COVID cases to be treated as WC claims, will they actually be treated as such by employees and insurers? I wouldn’t expect there to be much value in the claims, given the lack of missed time from work and lack of permanent injury.

Second, in the event an employee gets the disease, and there is an argument that the employee got the disease at work, will we start seeing serious and willful claims?

8 hours ago, calscuf said:

I don’t think so about serious and willful.  But there is now a Covid presumption (at least from like March 15-June15) and, as I understand it, If you are an essential worker and get Covid, then it’s presumed to be a compensable work injury.  And you are right, unless they die or are left with permanent complications then there isn’t much value in it and I think most people would prefer to just treat with their health insurance than through WC.

When I think Workers Comp, I think more salary that you get in addition to getting made right health wise.  With health insurance, you get made right health wise, but wouldn't get the lost salary.  Yes, no, I'm still nuts?  I don't know, I just got back from camping so this is the only thing I read.

Las Vegas restaurant owner sees success in first day of opening

The governor's orders for all restaurants in the state to require all employees to wear masks and now customers are seated six feet apart with only a half occupancy.

This alone will kill a lot of restaurants.  Half occupancy.  But also 6 feet apart.  I can't think of any restaurants I've been to that were that far apart.  Although it will be nice.  But that's 50% less revenue for dining.  

“They can check in with the host or hostess at the front door when they come in and then we have a text message system that alerts them when their table is ready. We just ask that people are patient because of the cleaning process that goes into your table being cleaned with you come in," he said.

And probably the thing that will stop me from going out much.  I hate long waits.  It's got to be a pretty special place if I'm going to wait more than a few minutes.  Although if they have a bar, that's usually an alternative, but by the sounds of it, bars will be different also.

Vacation real-estate markets are ‘toast’ because of the pandemic as Airbnb owners rush to offload their homes, Redfin CEO says

I kind of agree.  The Airbnb market is going to take a beating.  I mean hotels have the means to thoroughly clean a hotel room, but I can't see it being financially viable to thoroughly clean an entire house.  And those that were paying their mortgages with the rentals are going to be hurting.