• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

It's starting to sink in

PattyD22

In a normal world, my wife and I would be sitting in Tempe right now, watching the Angels get their last swings in before heading home for the Freeway Series.  The pitchers would be extending their starts to 5-6 innings, the starters would be getting 3-4 AB's, and the roster would be being trimmed to the final roster.  Normally, my wife and I would be in Tempe from March 16-21, spending a great St. Paddy's Day out on Mill Street with the rest of the psuedo Irish folk.

We would then head home preparing for the Freeway Series on March 22nd with the Dodgers and this is where, mentally, we as fans start getting amped up for the season.  Optimism runs rampant, we re-connect with the other fans in our section, and catch up on what everybody did the last 5 months.  It's always my favorite time of the year.  I LOVE the start of baseball season.

Despite the optimistic rumors, I'm convinced the season is in peril.  With Trump saying that this may last into July or August, there will probably be no season.  If there is, logistically, it will take a few weeks for the players to be ready and the season (mostly due to weather) would be down to an abbreviated 50 or so games.  While I'd be OK with that, I feel like it's just window dressing on a season that is essentially lost.  I know this is a pessimistic opinion, but I work in a field that deals with this virus, and I can say with near certainty that the numbers in California are going to spike, and that is going to drive the deadlines of self isolation, and social distancing longer than Trump says.

It sucks.  It's depressing.  I've been trying to be as optimistic as anyone that this season will start by Memorial Day.  I just don't see it happening and it's starting to sink.  I still haven't seen anything from the Angels organization stating anything different.  I hope and pray that I'm wrong.  I also hope and pray that all of you stay well, and keep your family and parents safe.

Just a couple weeks ago I was so pumped that the season was right around the corner. I was coaching my son's baseball team and all the kids were excited too, with basketball season coming to an end and jumping right into baseball practices. I bought my son Trout baseball cleats and another Angels tshirt, he was so stoked. Then, boom, Coronavirus hits hard, everything is cancelled. 

Can't believe there's no baseball right now. Let's hope we can salvage a portion of the season, at least. 

There is no joy in Mudville....

The best way for things to get back to normal as fast as possible is for every American to listen to scientific experts in pandemics and practice excellent hygiene and physical distancing (which is the super-set of social distancing). If we go through two months of pain now we will be much better off in July than if we ignore it or pretend it's some hoax. This is as real as it gets and everyone needs to give it the serious consideration and respect it deserves.

11 minutes ago, Taylor said:

I have a feeling that this year is going to cause us to be more appreciative of the things we take for granted.

You wish that would happen. But just like 9/11 a year from now or a year after this is all over we are going to hate things the same way. I mean goodness look at the political climate we are in. Who would have thought this is where we would be after 9/11? People have short term memories. 

28 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

I'm guessing 81-100 game season with playoffs in November (they may even expand the playoffs for this season to include more teams) with July, maybe even August played before limited/no crowd. 

November weather can be atrocious for every stadium not on the west coast. 

1 minute ago, Glen said:

I wonder what the cutoff is for the amount of regular-season games to still have a season.  For instance, would they have a season with just 60 games?

I’m wondering that also.  If the season started in mid-August, theoretically the teams could probably play until the end of September.  That would make for a roughly 6 week season.

The playoffs would probably have to be adjusted to maybe 5 game series, except for the World Series.  Again, this is all hypothetical and best case scenario.

Its a good question, what exactly would be the drop dead date for the cancellation of the entire season?