• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

"Turning Points" part 1

21 hours ago, mulwin444 said:

Lots of struggling…but the gut-punch was Kendrys Morales’ broken ankle jumping on home plate after a game winning grand slam.  Seriously, what the f…?! Hard to remember a time when you went from absolute joy to utter misery within a few minutes

I was sitting in the Sacramento Airport when @Dochalo sent me a text that Kendrys had just hit a game-winning GS. We were pumped. 

A few minutes later, he tells me that Morales had collapsed and had to be helped off the field. It took him a while to convince me that he wasn't joking. 

Sacramento sucks. 

11 minutes ago, Lou said:

I was sitting in the Sacramento Airport when @Dochalo sent me a text that Kendrys had just hit a game-winning GS. We were pumped. 

A few minutes later, he tells me that Morales had collapsed and had to be helped off the field. It took him a while to convince me that he wasn't joking. 

Sacramento sucks. 

I remember being at that game and the sheer joy of Morales’ walk off grand slam. I had never seen a walk off grand slam before and we were going nuts in the stands.  We saw the dog pile and were cheering our asses off.  Then we left.  On the way home listening to the post game with Terry, he informed us about Morales.  Unreal.

A few years later, I get to watch Don Baylor break his f*cking femur not 3 feet away from where Kendrys injury happened.

Home plate area sucks.

2 minutes ago, PattyD22 said:

I remember being at that game and the sheer joy of Morales’ walk off grand slam. I had never seen a walk off grand slam before and we were going nuts in the stands.  We saw the dog pile and were cheering our asses off.  Then we left.  On the way home listening to the post game with Terry, he informed us about Morales.  Unreal.

A few years later, I get to watch Don Baylor break his f*cking femur not 3 feet away from where Kendrys injury happened.

Home plate area sucks.

I think what we've learned here is that Terry and doc suck. 

I believe another big turning point was in 2004 with a chance to win the WS. The Angels won the West division that season with a record of 92-70.

On December 20, 2003, Guillén was signed by the Anaheim Angels. In 2004, he hit .294 with 27 home runs and 104 RBIs for the Angels, but he was suspended the last two weeks of the regular season and during the postseason for "inappropriate conduct" in publicly expressing his displeasure with Angels manager Mike Scioscia following Scioscia's removal of Guillén in favor of a pinch runner during a crucial game against the Oakland Athletics.[2]

wikipedia.com

Jose Guillen was a key piece to the offense posting a .294/.352/.849. slash line in 621 AB’s. He also hit 27 HRs with 104  RBIs. 

Angels ended up getting swept by the Red Sox 3-0 in the Divisional playoffs 😞 I completely understand why Guillen was dismissed from the team but I believe there could of been a alternative disciplinary action without hurting the team. 

7 hours ago, calscuf said:

I didn’t read the story, sorry.  But  I got excited because the title sounded like it could be the title of a very special 2-part episode of Who’s the Boss.

It's going to be intertwined with a very special "Blossom" episode in part 2...it's one where Joey says "Whoa"

I think the franchise defining moments come between the 2009/2010 off season and the Dan Haren trade.

The team should’ve rebuilt after 2009 but it’s understandable why they didn’t, coming off one of the franchises all time great teams taking a trip to the ALCS. They had a good run from ‘02-‘09 but the window was clearly closing. Still, the team decided to make another go of it bringing in Kazmir to replace Lackey and Matsui to replace Vlad.

These moves were clearly not paying off by the day Morales broke his leg, sticking the nail in the 2010 coffin. Opting to then double down and trade for Dan Haren was indicative of the organizational philosophy that would cripple the franchise for the next decade, most notably with the Vernon Wells trade the following off season.

2 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I think the franchise defining moments come between the 2009/2010 off season and the Dan Haren trade.

The team should’ve rebuilt after 2009 but it’s understandable why they didn’t, coming off one of the franchises all time great teams taking a trip to the ALCS. They had a good run from ‘02-‘09 but the window was clearly closing. Still, the team decided to make another go of it bringing in Kazmir to replace Lackey and Matsui to replace Vlad.

These moves were clearly not paying off by the day Morales broke his leg, sticking the nail in the 2010 coffin. Opting to then double down and trade for Dan Haren was indicative of the organizational philosophy that would cripple the franchise for the next decade, most notably with the Vernon Wells trade the following off season.

I’m pretty sure Mulwin’s Part 2 will cover Wells, Pujols and Hamilton. 

12 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Of course, but the ground work for those mistakes was laid in 2009-2010 when the team got so close to the world series that they couldn't stop chasing it.

Well said.

I didn't like the Haren trade at the time for that reason - on its face, some still argue it was a successful trade,  but it was ill-timed - we needed to start a minor re-building, and certainly weren't close enough to  trade away so much young pitching.  The org was in denial.

That trade didn't cause the disastrous Wells trade, or the squandered opportunity that was the 2010 draft,  or other mistakes that followed like Hamilton. 

But, as you said,  the org mind-set was stuck in the past, because we came so close.   (the 2010 draft was simply Eddie Bane reverting to the mean.) 

But there are times you just have to step back, let go of the angst over coming so close, and realize you're no longer "1 player away" but now 3 or 4 or 5 and going "all in" is foolish.    

On 3/13/2020 at 2:31 PM, PattyD22 said:

He quieros Taco Bell?

Funny enough Patty, we picked up one of those promotional Chihuahua stuffed animals during the 'Quieros Taco Bell' days (this is like 20 years ago or so) and when you press the belly it says the words. Damn thing still works! Perhaps the best made promotional item in the history of promotional items! 😄 

17 hours ago, RendZone said:

I’m pretty sure Mulwin’s Part 2 will cover Wells, Pujols and Hamilton. 

Yeah, it will...I thought it could fit in one post but it became just this enormous thing trying to tie everything together.  The 2010 offseason and that year's draft itself will take a few paragraphs.