• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

AngelsWin Corona Virus Poll

kevinb

Corona Virus Poll Time  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Are people over reacting to this?

2. 2. Are you personally worried about it?

3. 3. Are you staying in this weekend?

4. 4. Are you having to work from home now?

5. 5. Are any sports going to be played the rest of the year?

32 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Can you explain the Italy part more? What do you mean about 2 weeks behind? You mean in how the government reacted?

I think he means in terms of gestation. Italy didn't react to the virus with any school closures until March 4th and still hadn't acted on any quarantine zones. On the 9th they instituted a nationwide quarantine excluding some business travel.

That puts it at about 2 weeks separation but the infection rate in Italy was in the thousands, not hundreds. On March 1st Italy was well over 1,600 confirmed cases while the US was at 89. 

Currently the US is at 2,433 roughly 10 days after Italy first made a national move to curb the virus. Since then Italy jumped to over 15,000 cases and over 4,600 dead in a two week time span. 

Yes, it's time to take this serious.

I am an administrator in the medical profession, and we have been getting regular CDC briefings on COVID-19. It is more easily transmitted than common influenza, but the steps to reducing the spread are identical (hand washing, sanitizing surfaces, avoiding contact with those sneezing and/or coughing). We are still going to work, although any employees who display symptoms of what could possibly be a COVID-19 infection are advised to stay home until it clears. So far, we haven't had any. We are not changing our daily operation, and nobody (at work, at least) is losing their mind over it. We have not seen an increase in absenteeism.

I believe that many of the cancellations are overkill (you could contract the virus just as easily going to Costco as you could attending a Lakers game), but I understand an overly cautious attitude. Obviously we can't shut down everything that requires human interaction.

10 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Can you explain the Italy part more? What do you mean about 2 weeks behind? You mean in how the government reacted?

No, just the way the virus acts. It spreads exponentially. Italy is two weeks further into the curve than the US. It's actually ~8-9 days behind for France/Spain/Germany and ~11 days behind for the US. So within that time frame, you will see case numbers starting to look more and more like Italy.

Except the US isn't really testing, so who knows what the real numbers are.

Here's an article I found. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/flatten-the-curve-coronavirus/2020/03/12/a648883c-6460-11ea-8a8e-5c5336b32760_story.html%3foutputType=amp

2 hours ago, Cosmo_Kramer said:

No, just the way the virus acts. It spreads exponentially. Italy is two weeks further into the curve than the US. It's actually ~8-9 days behind for France/Spain/Germany and ~11 days behind for the US. So within that time frame, you will see case numbers starting to look more and more like Italy.

Except the US isn't really testing, so who knows what the real numbers are.

Here's an article I found. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/flatten-the-curve-coronavirus/2020/03/12/a648883c-6460-11ea-8a8e-5c5336b32760_story.html%3foutputType=amp

Yep.  Most don't seem to realize (or truly understand) the exponential values the current models are producing.  This could be devastating in the amount of infections that we don't know about yet.  I wasn't too concerned until I started reading more of the articles with data sets, as well as anecdotal information coming out of Italy. 

This article did it for me:

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

On 3/13/2020 at 4:06 PM, Angelsfan1984 said:

Just get a bidet. Not to save tp but because it’s glorious. At least that’s what my friend told me of course 

Bidets are great. Your asshole deserves one. 

On 3/14/2020 at 5:03 PM, Blarg said:

I think he means in terms of gestation. Italy didn't react to the virus with any school closures until March 4th and still hadn't acted on any quarantine zones. On the 9th they instituted a nationwide quarantine excluding some business travel.

That puts it at about 2 weeks separation but the infection rate in Italy was in the thousands, not hundreds. On March 1st Italy was well over 1,600 confirmed cases while the US was at 89. 

Currently the US is at 2,433 roughly 10 days after Italy first made a national move to curb the virus. Since then Italy jumped to over 15,000 cases and over 4,600 dead in a two week time span. 

Yes, it's time to take this serious.

Here's the latest update as of two days later than Blarg's numbers:

U.S.A.:   4,711 cases, 91 deaths  (That is 2,278 new cases in 48 hours.).  We are way behind the curve in testing, so no one really knows the real number, could be tens of thousands more?

2 hours ago, tomsred said:

Here's the latest update as of two days later than Blarg's numbers:

U.S.A.:   4,711 cases, 91 deaths  (That is 2,278 new cases in 48 hours.).  We are way behind the curve in testing, so no one really knows the real number, could be tens of thousands more?

Easily. I wouldn't trust any numbers in America right now