• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Coronavirus Impact

kevinb

1 minute ago, calscuf said:

No offense, but I lived at the beach and am lucky I got away without herpes.  Sharkeez is more of a viral cesspool than the Grand Princess. 

I probably wouldn't shake your hand at this point.

Not even to validate a bet?

1 minute ago, calscuf said:

No offense, but I lived at the beach and am lucky I got away without herpes.  Sharkeez is more of a viral cesspool than the Grand Princess. 

I probably wouldn't shake your hand at this point.

What's worse Sharkeez or Cassidy's? Don't worry we can fist bump. It's the new hip thing to do. 

2 minutes ago, Blarg said:

The Astros are probably thinking, at least we won't get boo'ed.

This looks like it's only the beginning. With Seattle moving their games. NBA, NHL and MLB are in for a world of hurt in terms of attendance. I wonder what happens with the NFL draft in Vegas. 

2 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

This looks like it's only the beginning. With Seattle moving their games. NBA, NHL and MLB are in for a world of hurt in terms of attendance. I wonder what happens with the NFL draft in Vegas. 

Roger Goodell gets to finally announce the picks in peace. 

3 minutes ago, calscuf said:

Oh god, we would have to be wasted to venture over to Cassidy's.  I heard you can get cold sores just from the glasses.

Such a mess of a place. I just remember the good old days when you were just worried about getting stabbed there. I don't live in Newport thank goodness. Almost made that decision when I bought and thought hmm nope way too old for those bars now. 

On 3/9/2020 at 4:19 PM, Vegas Halo Fan said:

One disservice that has been done is to refer to it as coronavirus. Coronavirus is not one thing. There are several varieties of coronaviruses, and I can pretty much guarantee you that everyone on this board has had one at one time or another. One variety causes colds.

that's interesting. i had never heard the word coronavirus in my entire life, until a month or so ago.

On 3/10/2020 at 11:10 AM, Duren, Duren said:

The over extreme panic is totally media driven. Common sense caution has morphed into paranoia by the unending fear mongering. Social psychology has many examples of crowd hysteria driven by exaggeration and misinterpreted facts.

There is a phenomenon known as 'pattern matching' where a preconceived idea is projected onto something else felt to match that idea. Regardless if accurate or not. 

Statistically the fatalities are a small fraction compared to other viral type causes. And if you study the quasi barbaric eating habits in China where this began it would put things in a clearer context. 

The media are largely irresponsible, and in some cases, intentionally so. A variation of 'if it bleeds, it leads.'

Also, do not discount the political and economic factors. And the timing. Remember the cynical "never let a crisis go to waste" statement? 

These sports organizations are trying to be politically correct and conform to the media narrative. Safer for them than to be demonized by challenging the narrative. 

while the public at large may be living in a mild hysteria driven by media or whatever factors you choose to subscribe to, what is a demonstrable fact is that the real danger of this virus is it's extreme  contagiousness and the burden it puts on hospitals, care facilities, etc. if the afflicted can't get care due to over saturation, then the death toll can climb much higher than it would have without the lack of medical treatment. this is the real reason for quarantine, canceling large gatherings, etc. it is exactly what italy and other nations are doing. reduce the number of contractions, to get it to treatable numbers of individuals.

so, i think the whole "media driven hysteria" thing is a narrative of it's own. personally, i think it's just an extension of the whole fakenews thing people like to throw around to sound edgy.

I guess I'm waiting to see how it plays out before I attribute worldwide Covid-19 concerns to politically motivated "fear mongering"  U.S. media.    Does it make sense to panic?  Of course not.    But when does it ever make sense to panic?   I think it doesn't cost too much to play it safe and see how it goes.

Also, I just found out CSULB is going with all online courses for a while.

4 minutes ago, Rally Gorilla said:

I guess I'm waiting to see how it plays out before I attribute worldwide Covid-19 concerns to politically motivated "fear mongering"  U.S. media.    Does it make sense to panic?  Of course not.    But when does it ever make sense to panic?   I think it doesn't cost too much to play it safe and see how it goes.

Also, I just found out CSULB is going with all online courses for a while.

Basically this. The more stats I see, and the intensifying of the virus, the more I become concerned. It still seems like it may be somewhat speculative to some degree, but what’s the worst case of over caution? Be safe and if it turns out to be significantly less, the naysayers have a free I-told-you-so pass. 

5 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

Yeah, just get 45,000 people jammed in together for a few hours, several hundred or even more of which might have the virus.

Good times.

Just get the marketing dept to call Anaheim Memorial Hospital, then get them to sponsor the world record for most people wearing surgical masks at a baseball game...   

19 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

Just heard that the CBS building in NY has been evacuated. Apparently two employees there are positive for the virus.

Wonder what the attendance will be for our home opener...

If I was baseball I think I’d rather postpone the start of the season for a bit. I can’t imagine owners are excited about league wide empty stadiums. 

6 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

If I was baseball I think I’d rather postpone the start of the season for a bit. I can’t imagine owners are excited about league wide empty stadiums. 

They have television revenue to pay salaries otherwise they are out of pocket for the 40 man roster regardless if they play or not.