• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Coronavirus Impact

kevinb

The over extreme panic is totally media driven. Common sense caution has morphed into paranoia by the unending fear mongering. Social psychology has many examples of crowd hysteria driven by exaggeration and misinterpreted facts.

There is a phenomenon known as 'pattern matching' where a preconceived idea is projected onto something else felt to match that idea. Regardless if accurate or not. 

Statistically the fatalities are a small fraction compared to other viral type causes. And if you study the quasi barbaric eating habits in China where this began it would put things in a clearer context. 

The media are largely irresponsible, and in some cases, intentionally so. A variation of 'if it bleeds, it leads.'

Also, do not discount the political and economic factors. And the timing. Remember the cynical "never let a crisis go to waste" statement? 

These sports organizations are trying to be politically correct and conform to the media narrative. Safer for them than to be demonized by challenging the narrative. 

21 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

If this was 5 years ago I don't think this outrage stuff happens. But Twitter and all the "journalists" who like to cause wide spread panic at the drop of a hat about the most random shit I think has something to do with it. This is mostly in China there have been cases through out the world but it is still 90-95% or more in China. The market shitting itself yesterday is still mind boggling to me. But who the heck knows this is all random "new" territory. 

Im not going to claim to be in the know, but what ive been told by a doctor is that its not what its being hyped to be and that by far most of the people who do get it will not die from it, save for those already at risk to pneumonia like issues.   Outside of that, ill defer to the experts not in the media or social media. 

1 hour ago, Tank said:

no, but a lot of that is already spent money (players, facilities, etc.).

those who will suffer the most from not having fans at the game will be the ancillary workers like ushers, ticket takers, concessions people, food service personnel, etc. No one for them to serve, so they get sent home without pay.

Gate attendence, concession, jersey sales, parking isn't a significant amount of income?

Ushers, security, grounds crew, electricity isnt a cost?

Why would facility cost be baked in if games are canced?

10 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Gate attendence, concession, jersey sales, parking isn't a significant amount of income?

Ushers, security, grounds crew, electricity isnt a cost?

Why would facility cost be baked in if games are canced?

i was going for generalities, not trying to make a complete list.

any employee necessary for the game itself to take place will still be needed - grounds crew, clubhouse attendants, broadcasters, camera people, and some others.

any employee needed for working with those in attendance won't be needed since the stadium will be closed to fans - concessions, parking, food & beverage, suites, ushers, and probably some others.

you get the point.

22 minutes ago, Tank said:

i was going for generalities, not trying to make a complete list.

any employee necessary for the game itself to take place will still be needed - grounds crew, clubhouse attendants, broadcasters, camera people, and some others.

any employee needed for working with those in attendance won't be needed since the stadium will be closed to fans - concessions, parking, food & beverage, suites, ushers, and probably some others.

you get the point.

canceled? Let's go back to my original issue.  From a business standpoint.  What would be a better solution:

Playing in empty stadiums or cancelling games (or season)

10 minutes ago, Dick B Back said:

I think its funny the MLB is not allowing media to access the clubhouse due to the virus.

Players have a better chance of catching something when using John in the bar after a game.

*fixed* Not that there's anything wrong with that. 

Julia Louis Dreyfus Happy Dance GIF by Crave*

10 hours ago, Kevinb said:

If this was 5 years ago I don't think this outrage stuff happens. But Twitter and all the "journalists" who like to cause wide spread panic at the drop of a hat about the most random shit I think has something to do with it. This is mostly in China there have been cases through out the world but it is still 90-95% or more in China. The market shitting itself yesterday is still mind boggling to me. But who the heck knows this is all random "new" territory. 

Dont get me started on the media, they to me are 90% the root of all of our current issues.  I have lost all faith in all of them on either side.  Im going to leave it there.

20 hours ago, Duren, Duren said:

The over extreme panic is totally media driven. Common sense caution has morphed into paranoia by the unending fear mongering. Social psychology has many examples of crowd hysteria driven by exaggeration and misinterpreted facts.

There is a phenomenon known as 'pattern matching' where a preconceived idea is projected onto something else felt to match that idea. Regardless if accurate or not. 

Statistically the fatalities are a small fraction compared to other viral type causes. And if you study the quasi barbaric eating habits in China where this began it would put things in a clearer context. 

The media are largely irresponsible, and in some cases, intentionally so. A variation of 'if it bleeds, it leads.'

Also, do not discount the political and economic factors. And the timing. Remember the cynical "never let a crisis go to waste" statement? 

These sports organizations are trying to be politically correct and conform to the media narrative. Safer for them than to be demonized by challenging the narrative. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/11/top-federal-health-official-says-coronavirus-outbreak-is-going-to-get-worse-in-the-us.html

“I can say we will see more cases and things will get worse than they are right now,” Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, told the House Oversight and Reform Committee at a hearing on the nation’s preparedness for the outbreak Wednesday.

How much worse depends on two things, he said: containing the influx of infected people coming from other countries and containing local outbreaks within the U.S.

“Bottom line is it’s going to get worse,” he added.

Does he work for the media? 

• nate changed the title to Coronavirus Impact
1 hour ago, calscuf said:

So do I get 1 million dollars if 1 million people die?

Why not haha. But if 1 million people don’t die I get a million as well. Sounds good? You realize the death count is at around 4K at the moment with just over 100k infected. At your proposed death amounts you’re going to need 100 million people to get infected. You’re only 99,900,000 million away. Just to get to a million deaths. Let alone you’re incredible 50 million deaths. 

22 hours ago, Duren, Duren said:

There is some truth here.    The 800 lb. gorilla in the room though is the fact that supposedly children don't show symptoms of it like adults do?    IF that is true, it opens a whole new can of worms.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/03/coronavirus-response-will-require-mlb-schedule-changes.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Other municipalities are also moving in a similar direction, with more sure to follow as evidence of the virus’s spread increases. San Francisco has banned gatherings of over one thousand people for at least the next two weeks, Connor Letourneau of the San Francisco Chronicle tweets. Washington, DC has recommended cancellations of gatherings of one thousand or more people. That was the same guidance issued yesterday by San Francisco; the city boosted it to an outright prohibition after the NBA’s Warriors held a home game.

4 minutes ago, calscuf said:

Does it make me a dick if I laugh when you get it?

No. I’m a 37 year old healthy adult male. Who works out and can run an under 6 min mile. If I get it I’ll be ok. But that’s sweet of you for saying that. I wouldn’t wish ill will or for you to get sick for disagreeing. But I guess that’s the difference between us. Have a wonderful day. 

1 minute ago, Kevinb said:

No. I’m a 37 year old healthy adult male. Who works out and can run an under 6 min mile. If I get it I’ll be ok. But that’s sweet of you for saying that. I wouldn’t wish ill will or for you to get sick for disagreeing. But I guess that’s the difference between us. Have a wonderful day. 

The inclusion of your mile time is very much appreciated. 

Just now, calscuf said:

I think it's generally agreed that I have a poor character.  And my mile time is well over 10 minutes.  

I imagine. Something to work on. This Wuhan virus affects people who have poor immune systems and are overweight. We wouldn't want anything to happen to you. I live at the beach you should come down and we can start running together. Get you healthier. Help boost that immune system so you don't get this virus.