• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

How much does the early success of Bundy, Barria, ...

tchula

How much of the early success of Bundy, Barria, Suarez, Cole, and Andreise have to do with Calloway?  I know many on here gave up on Barria and Suarez to some extent (I know I did), it's still important to remember both are still younger than the average double A player.  If just one or two of the above was having a good spring I wouldn't think anything of it.  But, when all of them are off to their best starts of their career that has to be more than a coincidence.  I am expecting at least one if not more will tale off eventually, but considering how week our pitching core is it is the one position where we needed to see a strong start.  Once upon a time Barria and Suarez where projected to be solid number fours, and the wheels completely came off last year.  But I also keep forgetting how young both are and both could still develop to be solid rotation pieces.  And once upon a time Bundy was one of the top pitching prospects in baseball.    I do not expect Canning to pitch this year, and fully anticipate him getting Tommy John, which means we have to trade for a front line pitcher at some point.  Nevertheless,  the hot start by all the guys who were angling for a spot in the bottom half of our rotation has me encouraged.  If their success has to do with Calloway, then that means it will probably maintain, to at least some extent, into the regular season.  

Their approach is different because of Calloway. I am more confident that Calloway has the knowledge and skills to help the young pitchers through the inevitable difficult times. Dismissing the way the pitchers are attacking the strikezone and the pitch calling because it is spring training is a mistake.

42 minutes ago, tchula said:

How much of the early success of Bundy, Barria, Suarez, Cole, and Andreise have to do with Calloway?  I know many on here gave up on Barria and Suarez to some extent (I know I did), it's still important to remember both are still younger than the average double A player.  If just one or two of the above was having a good spring I wouldn't think anything of it.  But, when all of them are off to their best starts of their career that has to be more than a coincidence.  I am expecting at least one if not more will tale off eventually, but considering how week our pitching core is it is the one position where we needed to see a strong start.  Once upon a time Barria and Suarez where projected to be solid number fours, and the wheels completely came off last year.  But I also keep forgetting how young both are and both could still develop to be solid rotation pieces.  And once upon a time Bundy was one of the top pitching prospects in baseball.    I do not expect Canning to pitch this year, and fully anticipate him getting Tommy John, which means we have to trade for a front line pitcher at some point.  Nevertheless,  the hot start by all the guys who were angling for a spot in the bottom half of our rotation has me encouraged.  If their success has to do with Calloway, then that means it will probably maintain, to at least some extent, into the regular season.  

If Barria and Suatez maintain their success I think it says a lot about how bad Doug White was.

We will never really know if Doug White was bad.  He was here with either awful pitchers (Cahill and the dude from the Mets) injured pitchers, or pitchers rushed to the big leagues.  

To call White an analytical pitching coach isn’t accurate, not sure it can really be accurate.  He was a guy that tried to use technology to replicate successful pitching mechanics.  I guess you could say they used analytics (information) to throw certain pitches to certain hitters because that hitter struggles hitting certain pitches from pitchers that are similar to the one throwing that day for the Angels.  To me that isn’t analytics so much as it is information and that has been part of baseball forever “he’s a good fastball hitter”.  We all know Howie Kendrick struggled with the outside curveball we don’t need analytics to tell us that.  

All that being said Callaway is a proven commodity.  My hope is what he does works with the guys that haven’t reached their potential.  I hope to god the team is telling Bundy to throw his fastball less and his curve and change up more.  If they don’t do that then Bundy with revert back to what he has been.  

I have no idea if Callaway is making a difference, but if the pitchers continue to perform well - I'm happy to give him as much credit as possible. It would be simply awesome to see guys like Tehran and Bundy shine in Anaheim after mediocre (at best) careers elsewhere.  We are used to seeing the opposite. 

41 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Already pitchers are saying the balls arent flying out the same.    Im sure Callaway is doing his thing but MLB moving away from juiced balls will have a bigger impact than any coach.

That would seem to indicate fastball pitchers faring better in 2020, assuming they aren't Weave circa 2016.