• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Bullpen

19 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

Could have new arms in bullpen, Buchter, Quijada and Barnes have looked good. I'm not a big fan of Bedrosian wonder if he could be trade bait?

If you were another team would you want him?

3 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Right now, it's looking like Undertaker, Middleton, Buttrey, Noe Ramirez, Bedrock Jr., Buchter, Andriese, and Pena? 

I know they are having Andriese pitch multiple inn as he may be starter and do not think Pena has pitched  yet. Barria, Sandoval and Andriese vying for 4th and 5th spot in rotation. I like Quijada.

Through 3/6...

The presumed ‘locks’...

• Robles: 3 IP, 7 H, 3 ER, BB, 4 K
  • Bedrosian: 3.1 IP, 6 H, 7 ER, HR, 5 BB, 3 K
  • Middleton: 4 IP, 3 H, 2 ER, 2 HR, BB, 4 K
  • Buttrey: yet to pitch
  • Anderson: 0.1 IP, BB
  • Ramirez: 3.2 IP, 2 H, 7 K

Not counting Barria, Peters, Andriese, Sandoval, or Suarez, as they’re likely factoring into the rotation currently. Here’s the next wave of pitchers competing for a spot...

• Cole: 4 IP, 3 H, 2 BB, 8 K
  • Mayers: 4.2 IP, 4 H, 3 ER, HR, 3 BB, 8 K
  • Buchter: 3 IP, 2 H, BB, 4 K
  • Barnes: 4 IP, 4 H, BB, 3 K
  • Quijada: 3 IP, H, BB, 3 K
  • Keller: 3 IP, 2 H, 2 ER, BB, 2 K
  • Bard: 3 IP, 2 H, ER, 2 BB, 2 K

From all total, that’s 39 IP, 36 H, 3.23 ERA, 19 BB, 48 K (11.1 K/9)

Cam’s numbers in your stat line should be a giant red flag for ST numbers.  He simply hasn’t pitched well so far, and didn’t pitch particularly well today either.

I’d like to believe he is far from a lock but I’m sure he will at least start out on the club.  

3 minutes ago, PattyD22 said:

Cam’s numbers in your stat line should be a giant red flag for ST numbers.  He simply hasn’t pitched well so far, and didn’t pitch particularly well today either.

I’d like to believe he is far from a lock but I’m sure he will at least start out on the club.  

I don't know about "red flag" as he sucked last spring too, though admittedly not this bad. Robles also wasn't good last spring.

I don't take a ton of stock in the bullpen numbers in ST. It's such a small sample size and most of these guys are working on specific things or trying to build their strength up. I'd be more concerned about velocity and things like that.

10 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

I don't know about "red flag" as he sucked last spring too, though admittedly not this bad. Robles also wasn't good last spring.

I don't take a ton of stock in the bullpen numbers in ST. It's such a small sample size and most of these guys are working on specific things or trying to build their strength up. I'd be more concerned about velocity and things like that.

Completely agree with that tdawg.  But with Cam, his sample size isn’t that small. We’ve been watching him for several seasons and he’s a complete roller coaster.  He’s lights out for several weeks, then he’s a BP pitcher for 2 months.

The problem with Cam is when he’s “scuffling” his control suffers and he becomes a one trick pony.  His fastball velocity is down, and his off speed stuff is iffy at best.  The Spring Training walks are a concern already.  Hopefully the new pitching staff can work this out, but I feel IMO, his better days are behind him.

23 minutes ago, PattyD22 said:

Completely agree with that tdawg.  But with Cam, his sample size isn’t that small. We’ve been watching him for several seasons and he’s a complete roller coaster.  He’s lights out for several weeks, then he’s a BP pitcher for 2 months.

The problem with Cam is when he’s “scuffling” his control suffers and he becomes a one trick pony.  His fastball velocity is down, and his off speed stuff is iffy at best.  The Spring Training walks are a concern already.  Hopefully the new pitching staff can work this out, but I feel IMO, his better days are behind him.

I would agree that Cam is an incredibly frustrating pitcher, but he had a 141 ERA+ last year, which is excellent. The year before it was 111, which is "good". In 2016 it was 362, which is utterly ridiculous. That's over 160 total innings.

As for his peripherals, he's got a career 9.5 K/9, which is definitely above average. His BB/9 is 3.8 so yeah, walks have always been an issue for him. 3.64 FIP, less than a hit per inning etc...

Basically, he's frustrating to watch but ultimately he gets the job done. He's not great, but he's been good overall. He's also entering his prime.

You are correct though that his declining velocity is a concern going forward. It's declined every year since 2016, so it's safe to assume it will be even lower this year. That all being said, it's still a slightly above average pitch. His slider is also a good pitch.

I just believe Cam is better than pretty much everyone else thinks he is. He's not a closer, or even a setup man. But he's a valuable reliever. 

Just now, Dick B Back said:

No matter what Cam’s numbers are, we always expect better cause he was a first round draft choice and his dad won a Cy Young. Simple as that.

Nope. I didn't even remember he was a 1st round pick.

Damn, he sucks even more now.