• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

LA Times: Grand jury examines Skaggs evidence

https://www.latimes.com/sports/angels/story/2020-03-02/grand-jury-examines-evidence-tyler-skaggs-2019-overdose-death-angels-pitcher

"Laurie Levenson, a Loyola Law School professor and former federal prosecutor, called the involvement of a grand jury “significant.”

Said Levenson: “It means there’s at least some concern about how widespread this incident might be by those who provided drugs, were involved in the activities, knew about them, may have made misrepresentations, whatever the connection might be.”

2 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Sounds like this investigation could go on for a long time. 

Yes, that'll probably be the case. 

Also, regardless of some people's opinions of Eric Kay and what he's said/done so far, I still think it's likely that there are going to be some unpleasant truths revealed about the team, both on the management/front office and player fronts.  Not apples to apples, of course, but that's been one reason why I've been reluctant to jump on the "let's trash the Astros" bandwagon.  Have a feeling we might not be feeling so great about "our" own team down the road.

18 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Also, regardless of some people's opinions of Eric Kay and what he's said/done so far, I still think it's likely that there are going to be some unpleasant truths revealed about the team, both on the management/front office and player fronts.  Not apples to apples, of course, but that's been one reason why I've been reluctant to jump on the "let's trash the Astros" bandwagon.  Have a feeling we might not be feeling so great about "our" own team down the road.

Excellent post. 

56 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

maybe it's just my wishful thinking, but I would suspect that the primary purpose of the a grand jury for the purpose of determining criminal charges would be focused on the drugs themselves and how they were illegally obtained.  And less focused on whether someone was covering the fact that they were being sold to a player.  The DEA want suppliers and information on the pathway to obtain the drugs.  

Maybe a few unsavory things about the Angels come out with this investigation but I just can't imagine that would be the primary intent of this grand jury.  

I still don't see how this is even remotely comparable to the cheating scandal (as you mentioned, it's not apples to apples).  I don't think any baseball org is squeaky clean from top to bottom and I don't like this optic for the Angel's org in any way shape or form, but it didn't have a material impact to the actual game on the field.  

What the Astros did had a massive impact on the game itself.  

49 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

maybe it's just my wishful thinking, but I would suspect that the primary purpose of the a grand jury for the purpose of determining criminal charges would be focused on the drugs themselves and how they were illegally obtained.  And less focused on whether someone was covering the fact that they were being sold to a player.  The DEA want suppliers and information on the pathway to obtain the drugs.  

Maybe a few unsavory things about the Angels come out with this investigation but I just can't imagine that would be the primary intent of this grand jury.  

I still don't see how this is even remotely comparable to the cheating scandal (as you mentioned, it's not apples to apples).  I don't think any baseball org is squeaky clean from top to bottom and I don't like this optic for the Angel's org in any way shape or form, but it didn't have a material impact to the actual game on the field.  

What the Astros did had a massive impact on the game itself.  

To be clear, I'm not suggesting that revealing who (if anyone) involved with the team had knowledge of the situation or was covering it up is a primary goal of the grand jury.  I'm just saying that it might end up being a by-product of their investigation. 

And I realize I view things differently from most people on here, but I'd personally be more turned off by something like this (if it turns out to be the case) than something like what the Astros did, regardless of the latter having an (alleged) impact on the outcomes of certain match-ups. One deals with literal life and death, the other deals with a game.

Edited by jsnpritchett

33 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

To be clear, I'm not suggesting that revealing who (if anyone) involved with the team had knowledge of the situation or was covering it up is a primary goal of the grand jury.  I'm just saying that it might end up being a by-product of their investigation. 

And I realize I view things differently from most people on here, but I'd personally be more turned off by something like this (if it turns out to be the case) than something like what the Astros did, regardless of the latter having an (alleged) impact on the outcomes of certain match-ups. One deals with literal life and death, the other deals with a game.

I agree that the life or death stuff is way more important.  My guess is that an opportunity to say something that could have helped was missed.  But at the end of the day, the person who's most accountable is Tyler himself.  

11 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

Perhaps.

But that shouldn't stop good astros bashing.

1 hour ago, fanfromday1 said:

I have often wondered if one of the reasons Brad Ausmus and  Doug White may have been let go was because they were aware that Eric Kay was suppling drugs to Skaggs (& possibly other players). 

Meh, maybe, but I doubt it. I think they were too new. I assume Kay was hooking it up well before that. (And I imagine not just to angels). I doubt he was a "dealer", more of a "i know a guy".

I assume, at most, ausmus might take some blame for letting the clubhouse get too loose. But I have no idea how true that would be

5 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Meh, maybe, but I doubt it. I think they were too new. I assume Kay was hooking it up well before that. (And I imagine not just to angels). I doubt he was a "dealer", more of a "i know a guy".

I assume, at most, ausmus might take some blame for letting the clubhouse get too loose. But I have no idea how true that would be

Yeah, Ausmus seemed like a loose, fun type of manager.