• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

YouTube TV Dropping FOX Regional sports networks

20 minutes ago, Rally Gorilla said:

So, since MLB.TV only carries away games, I guess my only option is to switch back to Hulu.  Too bad.  The family just got used to YTTV and they were liking it.

I thought MLB TV carries both the home and away feeds for games? I thought it was just that you can't watch any games that are broadcast on FSW (if you're in the local market) until the game is over. That's what my cousin, who has MLB TV, told me. Maybe I misunderstood him.

BTW, I'm in the same boat as you. I switched to YTTV a few months ago and I really like it. Has FOX sports regional (until Saturday) and MLB Network. None of the other streaming services had exactly what I needed. Now, neither does YTTV, apparently. What a drag.

2 minutes ago, Ray McKigney said:

I thought MLB TV carries both the home and away feeds for games? I thought it was just that you can't watch any games that are broadcast on FSW (if you're in the local market) until the game is over. That's what my cousin, who has MLB TV, told me. Maybe I misunderstood him.

BTW, I'm in the same boat as you. I switched to YTTV a few months ago and I really like it. Has FOX sports regional (until Saturday) and MLB Network. None of the other streaming services had exactly what I needed. Now, neither does YTTV, apparently. What a drag.

I'm so used to getting the home games live...switching back and forth from TV to car radio at times.....I think I wouldn't like having to watch it on delay as much.    Yeah, I liked getting MLB network w/o having to pay extra too.   

1 minute ago, Rally Gorilla said:

I'm so used to getting the home games live...switching back and forth from TV to car radio at times.....I think I wouldn't like having to watch it on delay as much.    Yeah, I liked getting MLB network w/o having to pay extra too.   

I know what you mean. I do the same thing. Follow along on radio and then turn it on TV when I get home. This news ruined my day. Especially since Spring Training games have already started. Thinking about switching to Hulu Live, but it's $20 more per month to have a decent sized DVR storage. It also costs more just to be able to fast forward through commercials for a DVR'd show. Also, it doesn't have MLB Network. Those assholes at Sinclair are fucking everything up. The whole system is breaking down.

Sinclair Media is probably the real bad guy here.  But will Youtube TV drop prices now that these sports channels are gone, probably not.  Guess I'll go with Hulu TV until they inevitably "can't reach an agreement" too.  From the chatter online, people think Sinclair wants to set up it's own streaming service for these regional sports channels and hence is getting out of all the existing agreements with streaming providers.  

12 minutes ago, well_red said:

Sinclair Media is probably the real bad guy here.  But will Youtube TV drop prices now that these sports channels are gone, probably not.  Guess I'll go with Hulu TV until they inevitably "can't reach an agreement" too.  From the chatter online, people think Sinclair wants to set up it's own streaming service for these regional sports channels and hence is getting out of all the existing agreements with streaming providers.  

They won’t set up a streaming service.  First, the price would be pretty high for a stand alone service.  They could do the same thing with the carriers, but they will not let them sell the service “a la carte” because they would lose money.  Truth is that it’s only a small percentage of subscriber that are into sports but Sinclair wants to charge based on total number of subscribers.   

Without a big change Hulu will drop them (they won’t be able to compete with the other streaming services).  Comcast will also drop them because they will have the much stronger negotiating position.  Eventually, they will reach a deal with Comcast and then offer the same deal to everyone else. 

3 hours ago, yk9001 said:

So its like me talking about the price of Samuel Adams beer, while Lou steals from the liquor store, and brags that he drinks for free.

Incorrect.

It's like you having to pay for your beer and I can sit at home and drink as much of whatever type of beer I want. 

It's nice. 

9 minutes ago, nando714 said:

I never cut the cord 

I’m happy about it 

I can’t do this streaming stuff for everything 

Why it's really pretty easy. Unless you like sitting through minutes of commercials and paying way more than you should to watch tv. Do you still have a house phone?

7 hours ago, Ray McKigney said:

I thought it was just that you can't watch any games that are broadcast on FSW (if you're in the local market) until the game is over. That's what my cousin, who has MLB TV, told me.

Yes, that should be the case there.  Up here in Oregon, mlb.tv blacks out the Angels games when they play the Mariners (both home or away), because I am in the Root Sports NW market.  I can watch the game on mlb.tv after the game is over, but it's usually at least two hours or more after the end of the game before it's available.

17 hours ago, bruin5 said:

Rumor is that Comcast, whose contract is up in June, will be the next provider to pass.  Of the streaming services, Hulu is the only one that still carries but I don’t know when their contract is up.  So far, Dish, Sling, YouTube, and Fubu dropped.  

Sinclair massively overpaid to buy the Fox RSN’s from Disney and now they are trying to collect.  They’ve added no other teams, so there is no added value.   The only one that paid is Direct/ATT but they are losing subscribers at a large clip due to rate increases.  The only reason they caved is because of the lucrative restaurant/bar contracts they have.  

In a season where the taint of the Astros is still fresh the last thing MLB needs is to lose viewers. 

Hulu is owned by Disney -- they may have cut a deal to keep showing the sports stuff.... Still, everything has a cut off date.

16 hours ago, bruin5 said:

How does that help you?  Isn’t Amazon Fire TV just a platform (like Apple TV)?  You still need to find a streaming service that carries FSW. 

Fire TVs have a built in engine for live programming that has all kinds of cable outlet shows and programming.  I've never really looked through it enough see how it works but it's there.  

12 hours ago, Tank said:

This is where I am. I’ll admit I feel a bit overwhelmed with all of it at times.

Me too. I overpay for cable. I hate it, but trying to figure out this other stuff is overwhelming.  I still have a DSL line for my internet and it's kind of slow... I don't have wifi. I'm low tech when it comes to this stuff. 

12 hours ago, Tank said:

This is where I am. I’ll admit I feel a bit overwhelmed with all of it at times.

I had cut the cord years ago when Direct TV Now first came out (late 2016) -- it was more about my hate for Comcast than anything else.   

Direct TV Now (Now known as ATT TV Now), went through some changes a year ago and drastically cut their channel listings but those of us that were there from the beginning were grandfathered in and were allowed to keep our packages -- about 6 months later they sent an email out offering reduced pricing locked in for 3 years to switch to regular Direct TV .vs the standard 2 year deal where the prices go up dramatically after the first 12 months... I took it to mean more changes were going to be coming so, I took them up on it.  Best part was I'm free to cancel without penalties after the first year, so I feel like I got over a bit and just happened to be in the right place at the right time.   My buddy who didn't take the deal tells me that when they re-branded their steaming service to ATT TV Now, they got rid of the grandfathered deal..   So, I'm glad I did.

As time goes by and more and more services pop up I figure pricing will normalize but it seems pretty chaotic right now.  For a while there it seemed like once every 6 or so months you'd have some networks flashing a warning message that the carrier was going to drop their channels.

6 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Hulu is owned by Disney -- they may have cut a deal to keep showing the sports stuff.... Still, everything has a cut off date.

Disney only cares about ESPN. They have no vested interest in increasing sports coverage for others at their expense.