• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Want to Keep Trout (Prevent Him from becoming a Yankee)

I have read so many threads on 
"how we need to keep Trout happy" or we will lose him eventually to free agency.

Or 

"he will be a Yankee in a few years".

Since so many are concerned about this issue, I have decided to give my suggestion on how we can ensure that the Angels will be able to retain Trout's services through his prime years.

Here it is:

At the end of the season offer Trout 10 year/200 million dollar contract!

Trout would be stupid to turn that down!  Why, because the threat of injury is always possible and he will have guarantee big money. Trout will be an Angel until the age of 32, and by that time his skills will be declining so who cares if we lose him to free agency.

If Trout turned it down, he will only get paid the minimum next year (instead of 20 million), and will be under arbitration 

limitations (much less than 20 million) for the next three years.  Then, he has to hope his performance (which could go down) will pay him more than 200 million.  

Plus the Angels will be over paying.  They probably could get a similar deal down for 170-180 million.  I just know 200 million would be too much for Trout to turn down.

Trust me, Trout would have no problem playing left field or whatever issue you may have with him, if you pay him that much!

Angel fans if Trout becomes a Yankee...

━━━━━┓\ ï¼¼ 
┓┓┓┓┓┃ 
┓┓┓┓┓┃ ヽ○ノ 
┓┓┓┓┓┃  /  
┓┓┓┓┓┃ ノ)  
┓┓┓┓┓┃ 
┓┓┓┓┓┃ 
┓┓┓┓┓┃ 
┓┓┓┓┓┃

Angel fans if Trout becomes a Yankee...

━━━━━┓\ ï¼¼ 

┓┓┓┓┓┃ 

┓┓┓┓┓┃ ヽ○ノ 

┓┓┓┓┓┃  /  

┓┓┓┓┓┃ ノ)  

┓┓┓┓┓┃ 

┓┓┓┓┓┃ 

┓┓┓┓┓┃ 

┓┓┓┓┓┃

The building isn't tall enough.

There's no way to know whether his skills will be "declining" at age 32. I would imagine he'll still be great at that age, but it's pure speculation at this point.

Babe Ruth was effective at age 39, with a .985 OPS that year.

My God, when I posted this I never thought someone would take exception about "declining" at the age of 32.

I hate to tell you this, but it is a scientific fact that the human body peaks physically at the age of 30.  From that point on there is decline.  How much and how fast of a decline is dictated on diet and conditioning of each individual.  So yes, Trout will be declining at 32.  But hey, if you want to re sign him at the age of 32 for 30 million a year...by all means go for it.

If we weren't paying our .220 hitting right fielder $125 million, we'd be able to lock up Trout in a minute.

We have Wells coming off the books soon, we can afford to lock up Trout anyway.  Just have to structure the contract  to keep it under the cap.

Ten years is a long time to guarantee someone $20M per year for, regardless of the player or his age. If Trout gets injured during that time and his skills decline, that becomes another Pujols contract.

Then we risk is we lose him to Free Agency!  Everything in life is a gamble.  We can pay the guy 450 k next year and then the arbritration minimum the next three years.  However, if that is the case then there is a greater risk of losing him when he is a free agent.

Lots of guys have been better at 32 than at 21. I'll go look up some if you'd like.

Well if you read my comments properly, the body peaks at 30.  So yes, I would agree, in a typical athlete he should be better physically at the age of 32 than 21.  However, he won't be physically better at the age of 32 than 30.  Then there is always the possibility that the experience and game adjustments the player makes as he ages compensates for his loss of athleticism. 

However, the only way a 32 year old is a better athlete than a 30 year old is if he take steroids!

Ten years is a long time to guarantee someone $20M per year for, regardless of the player or his age. If Trout gets injured during that time and his skills decline, that becomes another Pujols contract.

that's why teams insure their contracts against major injury

I think the Angels are already doing things to Trout to alienate him a bit. My belief is that his heart is in another part of the country and if you want to keep him here you better win his heart here before it comes time for hime to decide his own fate for 7-10 years. Angels are not winning his heart up to this point

There is no way the Halos let trout get to free agency.  He's the first potential HOFer in the history of this franchise.  They'll give him an 8-10yrs contract from 160 to 220mil which will buy out his last two years of arb.  I think he ends up 33-34 before he's ever a free agent.  Not signing Nolan Ryan was one of the biggest mistakes this franchise has ever made.  They will not do it again.