• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Interesting Article About Former Top Prospect

sportstr44

Yeah, I saw and read that as well.  Interesting to note that he was just as highly rated as Adell is now.  Let's hope Adell finds an approach to success in baseball that eluded Wood.  
Also, really great to see Brandon bounce back to lead a nice life in other pursuits.

I'm glad he's found happiness and success in his life. I remember Wood being one of my favorite prospects and just feeling pure sadness for him. I often wonder with all the trade rumors and the pressure, if maybe a trade to a different club (like the Miggy trade, I believe it was?) would have done wonders for him? Anyways, I'm very happy for him. 

2 hours ago, failos said:

Brandon Wood and Adell don’t belong in the same sentence. Ever. Kthxbye

Why? Both had big power and their biggest issue was strike outs? They may have very different results once Adell hits the majors, but it's not like the questions with Wood aren't the same ones that exist with Adell.

12 hours ago, tomsred said:

Yeah, I saw and read that as well.  Interesting to note that he was just as highly rated as Adell is now.  Let's hope Adell finds an approach to success in baseball that eluded Wood.  
Also, really great to see Brandon bounce back to lead a nice life in other pursuits.

11 hours ago, tomsred said:

I was referring to the fact that they were/are #3 prospects in all of baseball at a point in time.  Read the article for the reference.

This is revisionist history. Wood was hyped up by a breakout performance in A ball that didn't translate at higher levels. He was never the prospect Adell is even if they shared a similar ranking on a prospect list or two at some point.

9 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Didnt Wood struggle in AA?

Consider this. The year Wood got his first call up to the big leagues he hit .272 / .338 / .497 in the hitters paradise of Salt Lake. That was 10% above league average. He was coming off a season in AA where he had hit a more respectable .276 / .355 / .552 which was 32% above average. Solid numbers for a prospect but not for a top guy. Adell was 73% better than average at AA last year before struggling in his first 100 PAs at AAA. Adell was also a year younger.

Major League Baseball is tough.  Wood was a spectacular bust at the major league level.  Through no fault of his own, he was probably unreasonably over hyped - like many here have said before - good for him that he’s got on with his life.  In the whole scheme of things he was a great baseball player.  Just not a major leaguer. 

baseball prospects don’t pan out all the time.  

Edited by UndertheHalo