• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Meaningless poll: Is “Halos” a stupid name?

Dtwncbad

“Halos” nickname  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Do you roll your eyes at the name “Halos”?

• Yes, it’s dumb
    • No, it’s a legitimate nickname for the team

On a similar note, I remember growing up I never understood why people called the Pirates the "Bucs", I specifically remember this during an NLCS in the early 90's in newspaper headlines. It wasn't until a few years later I found out that it meant "Buccaneers" which was another term for Pirate.

Just now, Dtwncbad said:

So they call the Royals the Crowns?

Do they call the Rangers the Stetsons?

Halos seems just as forced to me.

Yea this is one of those things that is so subjective, like national play by play guys.  As for the Roger Lodge use of the word, I refuse to let a douchebag like that ruin a nickname that pre-dates him being affiliated with the team. 

6 minutes ago, makepeac said:

Halos seems a tad better than the 1975 nickname of the Angels' fleet footed outfield led by Mickey Rivers, "The Seraph Streakers." (paging AO, AO to the white courtesy phone...)

I hadn't heard of that one, actually.   It was one fast OF (Morris Nettles, Dave Collins, and Rivers).    

Collins is the answer to a trivia question.    Which Tigers' OF went back on the 8 run 9th inning capping game winning GS by Schofield on August 29, 1986?

I remember my parents referring to Rivers as "fidget", because he was constantly moving in the batter's box before the pitch was thrown.

Edited by Angel Oracle

6 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

I hadn't heard of that one, actually.   It was one fast OF (Morris Nettles, Dave Collins, and Rivers).     Collins is the answer to a trivia question.    Which Tigers' OF went back on the 8 run 9th inning capping game winning GS by Schofield on August 29, 1986?

I remember Dave Collins as a Red, forgot he was a Tiger.

Google doesn't return any mention of The Seraph Streakers but my old high school friends also remember the reference being made that summer by Enberg/Drysdale so it's not just me losing my mind in advancing age. Tommy Harper was also in that OF that year until traded to Oakland late in the season. Four very fleet footed though light hitting OFers. A preclude to a later generation of Angels featuring the tandem of Gary Pettis and Devon White, then later with Mike Trout , Peter Bourjos and Torii Hunter.

Edited by makepeac

1 minute ago, makepeac said:

I remember Dave Collins as a Red, forgot he was a Tiger.

Google doesn't return any mention of The Seraph Streakers but my old high school friends also remember the reference being made that summer by Enberg/Drysdale so it's not just me losing my mind in advancing age. Tommy Harper was also in that OF that year until traded to Oakland late in the season. Four very fleet footed though light hitting OFers. A preclude to a later generation of Angels featuring the tandem of Gary Pettis and Devon White, then later with Mike Trout , Pete Bourgeois and Torii Hunter.

And Lee Stanton also patrolled the OF that season, although power-hitting was more of his thing.