• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2020 Fearless Predictions

Angelsjunky

30 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I know many have preached to just ignore him but imagine how many IP directed massacres we would miss if he held to that?  

it's like asking prime Mike Tyson not to step in the ring with a lesser opponent.  F that.  I'm payin' $49.95 for that shit and I'm inviting my friends over to watch even though I know it'll last all of 30 seconds.  

did you try the crab dip?  I used jumbo lump.  

It’s always Tyson vs Spinks, every single time. 

15 minutes ago, eligrba said:

I think Ted Williams is remembered more as a great hitter and patriot. A perspective considering playing in a World Series as the only way to validate a player's career is misguided. Players play MLB because they can. Everything else is bullshit fan talk.

There are people that legitimately think it's rings or nothing, and that winning a ring elevates a player's status and that's fine, different strokes and all that jazz.  But this is just another narrative.  

Anyway... To get back on topic..

Lots of interesting predictions...  If I had to make one it's that Chris Rodriguez stays healthy the entire year and establishes himself as the Angels' best pitching prospect since Frankie made BBA's top 100 as the 10th best prospect in MLB (2003).

Could Upton make the Hall?  Sure.  He is 32 and has 298 home runs.  Could he hit 202 more?  Yea, I don’t see why not.  Will he?  No idea.  Bottom line is he has had a much better career than some morons on here give him credit for.  He was hurt last year and missed significant for the first time in a decade.  If the injuries continue then he will end his career with 350-400 home runs.  If he bounces back and remains relatively injury free for 4-5 years he will be knocking on the door to Cooperstown.  People can argue it but 500 homers is 500 homers.  No reason to believe if he is healthy he won’t be hitting 30-35 homers a year.  

19 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Could Upton make the Hall?  Sure.  He is 32 and has 298 home runs.  Could he hit 202 more?  Yea, I don’t see why not.  Will he?  No idea.  Bottom line is he has had a much better career than some morons on here give him credit for.  He was hurt last year and missed significant for the first time in a decade.  If the injuries continue then he will end his career with 350-400 home runs.  If he bounces back and remains relatively injury free for 4-5 years he will be knocking on the door to Cooperstown.  People can argue it but 500 homers is 500 homers.  No reason to believe if he is healthy he won’t be hitting 30-35 homers a year.  

It’s moronic to compare a league MVP,  2 time World Series MVP,  14 time All Star, 5 time World Champion Mr. October who played clutch baseball on the biggest stage to Justin Upton. Nobody here gave a hoot about Justin Upton when he was playing for the Padres. 

Justin Upton now plays for us so we can only hope he performs at a high level here. 

21 hours ago, RendZone said:

It’s moronic to compare a league MVP,  2 time World Series MVP,  14 time All Star, 5 time World Champion Mr. October who played clutch baseball on the biggest stage to Justin Upton. Nobody here gave a hoot about Justin Upton when he was playing for the Padres. 

Justin Upton now plays for us so we can only hope he performs at a high level here. 

And yet every normal person knew he was a really good ball player.  But then again, normal people also know that post season is a team accomplishment and doesn’t in anyway devalue what someone does in the regular season.  

I see you assholes have already started the Upton hate because you're fucking dumb asshole bitches.

You guys want a platoon in LF again? That worked out well. 

What's sad is if he puts up an .800 OPS with 30 HR you guys will point out how bad his defense is and how he should be a DH and with those numbers he'd be a mediocre DH.

Basically, fuck you.

7 minutes ago, Stradling said:

And yet every normal person new he was a really good ball player.  But then again, normal people also know that post season is a team accomplishment and doesn’t in anyway devalue what someone does in the regular season.  

I’m not disagreeing that Upton has had a nice career but please don’t put him in Reggie Jackson company. 

On 2/22/2020 at 1:36 PM, RendZone said:

I’m not disagreeing that Upton has had a nice career but please don’t put him in Reggie Jackson company. 

Lol..... says the guy that thinks it's accurate to compare him to Mark Whiten.

Again, one is a projection looking for a comparable "season", the other is a similarity score based on what has happened over the course of two players' actual careers.   A similarity score doesnt mean A= B.

Being a troll is bad, being a stupid one is embarrassing.

BTW...

The smart response to Upton/Jackson similarity score is that while the counting/triple slash numbers may be similar the eras the two players played in were not and that elevates Jackson into a very different level...

Again, the only point is that despite the constant shit talk, he's been a very good player.

Hopefully he rebounds, because he's owed a lot of money still

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

I'd bet against him doing it.  He's a "hall of very good" guy for me.

3 hours ago, Stradling said:

It would seem that his HR total is his main  path to the Hall -- I think that's often the case with borderline players: there's a single statistical marker that determines whether they make it or not. 

Yaz is a terrible comp because he was both more consistent and much better at his very best (11.1 fWAR in 1967, three years 8.9 or higher). Murphy is a bit historically underrated and was a better player than Upton in his prime, but faded early and therefore didn't get the counting stats to get in. Jackson was also better in his prime and more consistent. So all three were better players than Upton, and the two who had longevity ended up as Hall of Famers. 

Probably a good precedent for Upton is Fred McGriff, who was a better hitter (134 wRC+ vs Upton's 120), had 493 HR and hasn't been elected.

So yeah, Upton needs at least 500 HR to even be considered. Right now he has 298 HR through age 31, which is good for 44th all time. Of the 43 players ahead of him:

25 are Hall of Famers

3 are active, two definite Hall of Famers (Pujols, Cabrera) one possible (Stanton)

That leaves 15 players who are Hall eligible, but  not (yet) in: A Rod, Bonds, Gonzalez, Jones, Dunn, Manny, Belle, Colavito, Teixeira, P Fielder, Murphy, Glaus, Delgado, Canseco, Sosa.

Most of those guys--all except for Colavito and Murphy--played at least a sizeable chunk of their careers during the Roid Era (which I'll define as 1993-2009, when offense was inflated). I'm not saying that all of them did steroids, but the concern is there.

It is also worth noting that of the 43 players ahead of Upton, only Sosa (111) and Jones (119)  were worse hitters according to wRC+. And of course Sosa's best years were later.

Troy Glaus' numbers are very similar through age 31: 

Upton: 298 HR, 120 wRC+, 36.8 fWAR

Glaus: 304 HR, 121 wRC+, 34.7 fWAR

Glaus only hit 16 more HR and his wRC+ lowered to 120, his fWAR to 34.3.

3 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

I see you assholes have already started the Upton hate because you're fucking dumb asshole bitches.

You guys want a platoon in LF again? That worked out well. 

What's sad is if he puts up an .800 OPS with 30 HR you guys will point out how bad his defense is and how he should be a DH and with those numbers he'd be a mediocre DH.

Basically, fuck you.

Bravo

On 2/22/2020 at 8:10 AM, Dochalo said:

I know many have preached to just ignore him but imagine how many IP directed massacres we would miss if he held to that?  

it's like asking prime Mike Tyson not to step in the ring with a lesser opponent.  F that.  I'm payin' $49.95 for that shit and I'm inviting my friends over to watch even though I know it'll last all of 30 seconds.  

did you try the crab dip?  I used jumbo lump.  

It was awkward when your wife caught me coming out of the bathroom in the master bedroom, shutting the door behind me, instead of the guest bathroom in the hallway.

Im done with buffalo wings, I dont care how much I love them. Im through.

On 2/22/2020 at 10:21 AM, RendZone said:

Nobody here gave a hoot about Justin Upton when he was playing for the Padres. 

Define "giving a hoot". Like, suggesting he read a book?

If you mean nobody here knew who he was, or thought he was a plus player, Id rank that as a 10 on the bullshit meter.

There are plenty of very good players in MLB we dont talk about, because they have nothing to do with the angels.... which is the point of this website.

How many Rendon threads did we have on here a year ago?

25 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Define "giving a hoot". Like, suggesting he read a book?

If you mean nobody here knew who he was, or thought he was a plus player, Id rank that as a 10 on the bullshit meter.

There are plenty of very good players in MLB we dont talk about, because they have nothing to do with the angels.... which is the point of this website.

How many Rendon threads did we have on here a year ago?

True. I hadn’t heard of Rendon much before last season.