• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels owner Arte Moreno refuses to detail what happened with Dodgers trade

AngelsWin.com

TEMPE, Ariz. — Arte Moreno confirmed that he killed the widely reported trade that would have brought Joc Pederson and Ross Stripling from the Dodgers to the Angels, although he said there was more to the story.

And he didn’t want to get into that part.

“It wasn’t all impatience,” he said. “There were other things.”

Pressed on those, Moreno said: “I would rather not talk about that. That wasn’t going to happen and it’s not happening.”

About 15 minutes later, when Moreno was reminded that that his customers would like more detail on why a reported deal that could have helped the team didn’t happen, he didn’t budge.

“I’m sure they would,” he said. “There’s a lot of things that people would like to know and they’re not going to know. It’s water under the bridge. We’ve moved on.”

Moreno did not seem at all upset with the questions, or the fact that he’s recently been vilified by much of the fan base.

“One year I spent about 300 million bucks and someone wrote how cheap I was,” he said.

He smiled and joked with reporters throughout a 33-minute interview while the Angels conducted their first full-squad workout of the spring. It has become Moreno’s tradition over the past several years to talk to the media at this time.

In the wide-ranging interview, he addressed the team’s failed pursuit of starting pitchers like Gerrit Cole, their hopes to still add pitching, the job status of general manager Billy Eppler, the future of impending free agent Andrelton Simmons and the latest on plans for Angel Stadium.

For the first time in several years, Moreno did not have to face a question about the future of Mike Trout, who they signed to a $426.5-million deal 11 months ago.

At the time, Trout said he was committing to the Angels because he believed they had a long-term plan to build a championship roster.

Cole apparently wasn’t such a believer.

“One of the things we knew early on that he wanted a ring and wanted to go somewhere where he had the best chance,” Moreno said. “He grew up being a Yankee fan. We did our homework and spent a lot of time. We had a great conversation. They’re nice people. And the Yankees gave him nine years.”

The Yankees signed Cole for $324 million over nine years, while the Angels offered eight years and just under $300 million.

“Walking in there and you knew, no matter what I bid, we’re going to get outbid,” Moreno said. “We had a pretty big number out there.”

Rather than going after the next tier of starting pitchers, the Angels instead signed Anthony Rendon to a seven-year, $245-million deal.

“We just felt that our money, in the long term, would be better spent on Rendon, who was arguably the best position player available,” Moreno said. “We haven’t had a third baseman here for a long time.”

As for the pitching, the Angels still have their sights set on top of the rotation pitchers, but they are likely going to have to wait until midseason to see which pitchers may be available on the trade market.

“We have the financial flexibility at starting pitcher,” Moreno said. “We’re looking for a pitcher who can substantially help us, not a No. 4 or No. 5.”

Another move the Angels will need to consider soon is extending Simmons, who is in the final year of his contract.

“I love Simmons,” Moreno said, adding that there have been internal conversations about an extension but no negotiations with Simmons.

The man who would handle those negotiations is also in the final year of his contract. When asked what has to happen for Eppler to earn an extension, Moreno said: “I think there’s a lot of pieces. It’s just not one thing. There’s just a lot of pieces. Just like anything. As a group we need to win. I probably should fire myself.”

Moreno also described in general terms the organization’s plans for Angel Stadium and the surrounding property, which they are purchasing from the city of Anaheim.

He said within four months they will present the city with a development plan that will cover their expectations for the next 20 to 30 years. He said he hopes to renovate Angel Stadium within the next three to five years. Beyond that, they could build a new park on the land that surrounds the current park. He said there is enough space to build a new stadium while continuing to play in the old one.

Moreno also said that extra revenue from the ballpark development doesn’t necessarily impact the on-field product.

“It’s two separate buckets,” he said.

Both the team and the stadium remain priorities, though.

“I would say our No. 1 goal, as I told my people Day One, was to make sure that we do whatever we can to enhance the product on the field to win a championship,” he said. “That’s our No. 1 goal, period. Second would be to make sure that that stadium was taken care of. And that’s one thing we always work on parallel is safety, cleanliness, maintenance those kind of things. And then if there are any opportunities that we see that to enhance the experience, we’re always working on that.”

View the full article

I'm wondering why the Stripling/ Peterson deal was ever announced in the first place.

The Angels seemed to be on the back end of the Betts/ Price blockbuster with some deal involving Minnesota.  The player the Twins were to get had some issue with a physical so suddenly the Angels- Dodgers deal is on hold.

Meanwhile, Peterson loses his arbitration hearing with the Dodgers (probably too many strikeouts).

The Stripling/ Peterson deal was sort of announced after the fact of the Betts/Price blockbuster and did not make some of the original reports of the trade winding up a day or two later as 'late news' almost a 'players to be named later' sort of way and, in fact, I think there were some Halos players (prospects) to be named later in the Dodgers deal.

Stripling would have been in competition to be our number three  - Peterson could haver platooned at first base (Peterson can't hit lefties).

But - oh well -- why are they bagging on Arte for this -- there are two teams involved - ask the Dodgers front office --- sounds like the Dogs were dragging their feet waiting for the Joc Peterson arbitration hearing to be completed.

18 minutes ago, disarcina said:

I'm wondering why the Stripling/ Peterson deal was ever announced in the first place.

The Angels seemed to be on the back end of the Betts/ Price blockbuster with some deal involving Minnesota.  The player the Twins were to get had some issue with a physical so suddenly the Angels- Dodgers deal is on hold.

Meanwhile, Peterson loses his arbitration hearing with the Dodgers (probably too many strikeouts).

The Stripling/ Peterson deal was sort of announced after the fact of the Betts/Price blockbuster and did not make some of the original reports of the trade winding up a day or two later as 'late news' almost a 'players to be named later' sort of way and, in fact, I think there were some Halos players (prospects) to be named later in the Dodgers deal.

Stripling would have been in competition to be our number three  - Peterson could haver platooned at first base (Peterson can't hit lefties).

But - oh well -- why are they bagging on Arte for this -- there are two teams involved - ask the Dodgers front office --- sounds like the Dogs were dragging their feet waiting for the Joc Peterson arbitration hearing to be completed.

2 minutes ago, True Grich said:

It wasn't "announced" - it was leaked.

IFeelLikeImTakingCrazyPills.gif

1 hour ago, disarcina said:

They were ‘dragging their feet’ because it was dependent on the Betts and Price trade. Dodgers had no interest in trading Stripling otherwise. When the Betts deal got delayed, so did this one. 

Eppler on Cahill:

"He fits a lot of what we value in our pitchers,” Angels general manager Billy Eppler said. “He has the ability to miss bats and he combines that with the ability to keep the ball on the ground and in the park. When you find a combination of high ground-ball rate and high strikeout rate, that has some uniqueness to it. His walk rate has improved the last few years. We believe that’s sustainable.”