• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Arte: "Our hope is to acquire a top starting pitcher via trade during the season"

mmc

32 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

Keep trolling. It’s what you’re best at.

Arte makes tons of money off the team, but heaven forbid he spend a little more to actually keep his promises. 

He already got in trouble using money he was supposed to be using for renovations on a couple of big effing screens for the outfield. He managed to con Anaheim into selling him the stadium for a sweet deal to get out of that one. 

He gives himself a big salary just cuz. But spend a few mil more? Nah. 

Don't get me wrong, he’s (amazingly) still probably one of the better owners in the league. I just wish he’d quit screwing around and either take over baseball ops or stay the hell out of the kitchen. Either spend to win or stop promising he’s trying to. Stop talking about ‘needing some jewelry’ when he only half commits. 

I’d rather he let us tank so we actually have a shot than just be average every year. 

Share with us how much money he makes.  Not the increase in team valuation, but actual money he makes off the team.  Also how much does he pay himself?  Stop promising he is trying to win?  This just reeks of having your feelings hurt because he didn’t get you what you wanted.   He tries to win, he just puts a value on starting pitching and isn’t willing to go crazy on huge risk pitchers, even though he was ready to for Cole.  Half commits is also really a bad opinion.  He spends.  He has a top 10 payroll every single year.  He has one of the more affordable in game experiences for the fans.  As for tanking, you aren’t going to find any normal person on here that will agree with you on that.   IF he sells the team the new owner will be at a competitive disadvantage to Arte right out of the gate.  

10 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Share with us how much money he makes.  Not the increase in team valuation, but actual money he makes off the team.  Also how much does he pay himself?  Stop promising he is trying to win?  This just reeks of having your feelings hurt because he didn’t get you what you wanted.   He tries to win, he just puts a value on starting pitching and isn’t willing to go crazy on huge risk pitchers, even though he was ready to for Cole.  Half commits is also really a bad opinion.  He spends.  He has a top 10 payroll every single year.  He has one of the more affordable in game experiences for the fans.  As for tanking, you aren’t going to find any normal person on here that will agree with you on that.   IF he sells the team the new owner will be at a competitive disadvantage to Arte right out of the gate.  

200 (6).gif

49 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Jeff:  Assuming the media reports were accurate, why would you be in serious discussions with the Dodgers about Stripling if he feels that way?

Maybe it seemed like a good idea but then once the deal dragged on and on he became less enthusiastic about it.

And we don’t know what other details affected the decision. That’s what he won’t say. 

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

I love how you claim to know what I’m thinking but complain about me judging Arte. Whatever. It’s not like either of our opinions of him matters a bit. 

4 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Cool conversation.  What I learned is Arte is rich so he should spend more.  

I mean, he kind of should at this point. How much longer is he gonna be around and physically capable of owning a baseball team? He's already 73.

I think at some point he's going to have to bite the bullet and put the team over the threshold. This was kind of a good year to do that. Is he just going to keep drawing a line in the Sand until he sells the team and retires?

Looks like they had the framework of a deal, but didn’t really have a deal, and the longer it took the more Arte was convinced it would be better to pursue a higher ceiling pitcher during the season.

So he killed the deal.

Am I supposed to be furious that the owner wants to do better than Stripling??

2 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Looks like they had the framework of a deal, but didn’t really have a deal, and the longer it took the more Arte was convinced it would be better to pursue a higher ceiling pitcher during the season.

So he killed the deal.

Am I supposed to be furious that the owner wants to do better than Stripling??

Well you've been trying your absolute damnedest to not be mad at Arte in any way over this so I guess go you. 

The problem is Stripling likely cost us very little and would not have prevented us from getting a better pitcher during the season should the opportunity arise.

2 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

....The problem is Stripling likely cost us very little and would not have prevented us from getting a better pitcher during the season should the opportunity arise.

I guess the argument would be you had to take Pederson and his money to get Stripling and that would have inhibited going after a better pitcher in July.....I still think it was an opportunity lost...we’ll see....

Just now, DMVol said:

I guess the argument would be you had to take Pederson and his money to get Stripling and that would have inhibited going after a better pitcher in July.....I still think it was an opportunity lost...we’ll see....

If 7.5 million is a problem right now, then Arte is a God damn butt.

4 minutes ago, DMVol said:

That doesn't make sense.  Pederson would be a good trade asset in July.  Trade Peterson in july and trade for frontline starter could happen.  Also if Pederson 7.5 million salary prevents a trade for an Ace (presumably when we are in the playoff race) than Arte should sell the team

2 minutes ago, stormngt said:

That doesn't make sense.  Pederson would be a good trade asset in July.  Trade Peterson in july and trade for frontline starter could happen.  Also if Pederson 7.5 million salary prevents a trade for an Ace (presumably when we are in the playoff race) than Arte should sell the team

Well I don’t want Arte to sell but I agree with your otherwise....I was trying to explain the reasoning, based on Arte’s statements, for “pulling the plug”...I think it was a mistake because we missed a chance to get better for what appears to have been a very reasonable cost....

1 minute ago, DMVol said:

Well I don’t want Arte to sell but I agree with your otherwise....I was trying to explain the reasoning, based on Arte’s statements, for “pulling the plug”...I think it was a mistake because we missed a chance to get better for what appears to have been a very reasonable cost....

I agree.  Stripling would have elevated our rotation and provided excellent depth.  Pederson platooned with or  Goodwin (Adell) would be above average on right field

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

I mean, he kind of should at this point. How much longer is he gonna be around and physically capable of owning a baseball team? He's already 73.

That means that in only 4 short years he’ll be old enough to be a democratic candidate for the presidency.

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

Well you've been trying your absolute damnedest to not be mad at Arte in any way over this so I guess go you. 

The problem is Stripling likely cost us very little and would not have prevented us from getting a better pitcher during the season should the opportunity arise.

Nobody has enough information to be mad at Arte.  Everybody annoyed presumes what they needed to presume to be annoyed. We still don’t really know the price for that trade, and you don’t know what other kind of trade he would prefer to make. That’s the point.

9 hours ago, Rally Gorilla said:

So, you think that frontline pitching becomes cheaper during the season?   So much cheaper that you can get a top guy for the off season price of a mid-level guy?   That doesn't ring true for me at all.

9 hours ago, kj_maestro said:

More like our pieces become more valuable 

@kj_maestro said it best. We have a ton of prospects up and down the org who could increase value or become expendable halfway through 2020. Maybe they do, maybe they don’t. 

And as mentioned elsewhere, it could have simply been the money. $9m that Joc could have cost could have been $9m over budget for Arte already, and $9m they would have had to make up in prospect value instead. 

The deal could have been something like Rengifo, Yan, and Knowles for the three Dodgers too, and while none are top prospects, that deal isn’t as favorable as I would have liked. 

Marquez or Jon Gray makes sense, first half Matt Boyd makes sense, Syndergaard or Stroman make sense (deGrom?), Minor and Kluber could fit the bill, Taillon or Musgrove, the Phillies could blow up, the Twins could blow up, the Reds could blow up, Sale or Rodriguez could hit the market...lots of potential frontline SP options could be available midseason and it might be a lot easier to part with a Suarez or Sandoval or Barria, or a Marsh or Adams or Rengifo,  Thaiss, Jones depending on how things are going. 

13 hours ago, stormngt said:

Remember Disney and Jackie Autry....careful what you ask for 

The Angels won their first and only World Series under Disney ownership. I'd be fine with them buying back the team.

I think the main complaint about Moreno is that despite having the best player in baseball year after year after year etc, he doesn't go over the top to win. He's never gone over the luxury tax and I'm not sure if he's even gotten very close to it either. He's absolutely wasted one of the best players baseball has ever seen. That's frustrating as a fan. It would have been nice for him to at least go for it all at least one season.

I'm sure the majority of Angel fans would be okay with parking going up a dollar or two and tickets going up a dollar or two if it meant the Angels actually got to the freaking playoffs and won for a change.