• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Arte: "Our hope is to acquire a top starting pitcher via trade during the season"

mmc

23 minutes ago, totdprods said:

It’s entirely possible that Eppler went to Arte and said he had the pieces to swing a trade for Pederson and Stripling now, or he could wait and pull the trigger - maybe using some of the same pieces later in the year - for a frontline arm. 

Could be Eppler was fine proceeding either way and wanted the boss to weigh in and be the swing vote, or wanted to check in on how a trade now or midseason could affect the payroll and money he has to work with. Eppler knows his job is on the line, why not tap into the guy who will decide his fate for his thoughts if Eppler is comfortable with either decision?

Everything doesn’t have to be a conspiracy or a sign of drama. 

So, you think that frontline pitching becomes cheaper during the season?   So much cheaper that you can get a top guy for the off season price of a mid-level guy?   That doesn't ring true for me at all.

20 minutes ago, Rally Gorilla said:

So, you think that frontline pitching becomes cheaper during the season?   So much cheaper that you can get a top guy for the off season price of a mid-level guy?   That doesn't ring true for me at all.

Do you consider Bauer a front line type?   Check what he went for last year.   

19 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I wonder if Arte and Eppler decided to save the money to have it available for an Ace level starter at the deadline. 

A guess only but maybe they agreed to the deal for Stripling and Pederson, had second thoughts while the Sox-Twins-Dodgers deal unraveled for a few days and then decided to save the Pederson salary money for a premium starter during the season....I still don't think Arte's comments make a lot of sense but that's about all I have....I would have taken Pederson/Stripling if the price really was Rengifo and a non elite level prospect....just not sure an "ace level" guy during the season is feasible, would have preferred Stripling at a cheaper price (Rengifo basically), even if he was tied to Pederson.....

12 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Do you consider Bauer a front line type?   Check what he went for last year.   

From:  https://www.mlb.com/news/every-deal-made-during-2019-trade-deadline-season 

"The Indians received a pair of slugging outfielders in Yasiel Puig and Franmil Reyes while also stocking their farm system with a trio of prospects. Left-handed pitcher Scott Moss was ranked as the Reds' No. 12 prospect by MLB Pipeline, while Victor Nova is a 19-year-old third baseman in the Rookie-level Arizona League. Logan Allen, a left-handed pitcher, made his Major League debut with the Padres on June 18 but was optioned to Triple-A on July 27."

Without knowing a ton about Reyes or the three prospects, it's pretty hard for me to say if this was an overpay for Bauer or a bargain.     

2 hours ago, mymerlincat said:

It can go either way.  If a team that was previously hesitant to move their top starter for anything short of a massive overpayment because their intention was to compete this season is out of it at the deadline, they might be more inclined to move that pitcher.  Though if they end up being in a playoff spot or just outside, their value will likely go up.

I read this as "when the Rockies fall out of the race, they will be more willing to trade Jon Gray", amirite?

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

It’s entirely possible that Eppler went to Arte and said he had the pieces to swing a trade for Pederson and Stripling now, or he could wait and pull the trigger - maybe using some of the same pieces later in the year - for a frontline arm. 

Could be Eppler was fine proceeding either way and wanted the boss to weigh in and be the swing vote, or wanted to check in on how a trade now or midseason could affect the payroll and money he has to work with. Eppler knows his job is on the line, why not tap into the guy who will decide his fate for his thoughts if Eppler is comfortable with either decision?

Everything doesn’t have to be a conspiracy or a sign of drama. 

Yes it does. Per AW.com posters.

10 minutes ago, Rally Gorilla said:

From:  https://www.mlb.com/news/every-deal-made-during-2019-trade-deadline-season 

"The Indians received a pair of slugging outfielders in Yasiel Puig and Franmil Reyes while also stocking their farm system with a trio of prospects. Left-handed pitcher Scott Moss was ranked as the Reds' No. 12 prospect by MLB Pipeline, while Victor Nova is a 19-year-old third baseman in the Rookie-level Arizona League. Logan Allen, a left-handed pitcher, made his Major League debut with the Padres on June 18 but was optioned to Triple-A on July 27."

Without knowing a ton about Reyes or the three prospects, it's pretty hard for me to say if this was an overpay for Bauer or a bargain.     

It was a three way.... The Reds gave on Taylor Trammell, Puig and a 25 year old OFer.   That's akin to us giving up Adams, Taylor Ward and a throwaway contract.

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

I wonder if Arte and Eppler decided to save the money to have it available for an Ace level starter at the deadline. 

That probably is what it is. Joc’s salary needed approving to add to Arte’s little budget. He decided to pull back his money since making that deal meant he wouldn’t approve more for a top pitcher later. 

He still sucks. 

10 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

The last two times we traded for a frontline starter mid-season worked out fantastically.

Dan Haren was pretty good, although he was "frontline" really for the rest of 2010 and 2011 only....dropped off after that and we didn't get in the playoffs with him, also gave up Corbin....Greinke was good for the two months we had him but we didn't get in the playoffs so that probably wasn't a great deal...wasn't Greinke's fault we didn't make the playoffs...

3 hours ago, Lou said:

So f'n dumb 

No, what's f'n dumb is when you hire a general manager and then take over his job for him. Why doesn't Arte just make himself GM if he's going to keep interfering?

What's f'n dumb is when you have no pitching and then over step your GM and nix a trade that would have added pitching . That trade was a huge steal. Arte is f'n dumb. I hate his ass, he needs to go.

20 minutes ago, JarsOfClay said:

No, what's f'n dumb is when you hire a general manager and then take over his job for him. Why doesn't Arte just make himself GM if he's going to keep interfering?

What's f'n dumb is when you have no pitching and then over step your GM and nix a trade that would have added pitching . That trade was a huge steal. Arte is f'n dumb. I hate his ass, he needs to go.

Can you point me to the verified, confirmed list of all of the players involved in the proposed trade, because I'd like to understand what a huge steal it was. Published reports from actual baseball reporters only please.

1 hour ago, Lou said:

little?

Good Lord. 

Keep trolling. It’s what you’re best at.

Arte makes tons of money off the team, but heaven forbid he spend a little more to actually keep his promises. 

He already got in trouble using money he was supposed to be using for renovations on a couple of big effing screens for the outfield. He managed to con Anaheim into selling him the stadium for a sweet deal to get out of that one. 

He gives himself a big salary just cuz. But spend a few mil more? Nah. 

Don't get me wrong, he’s (amazingly) still probably one of the better owners in the league. I just wish he’d quit screwing around and either take over baseball ops or stay the hell out of the kitchen. Either spend to win or stop promising he’s trying to. Stop talking about ‘needing some jewelry’ when he only half commits. 

I’d rather he let us tank so we actually have a shot than just be average every year. 

22 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

Keep trolling. It’s what you’re best at.

Arte makes tons of money off the team, but heaven forbid he spend a little more to actually keep his promises. 

He already got in trouble using money he was supposed to be using for renovations on a couple of big effing screens for the outfield. He managed to con Anaheim into selling him the stadium for a sweet deal to get out of that one. 

He gives himself a big salary just cuz. But spend a few mil more? Nah. 

Don't get me wrong, he’s (amazingly) still probably one of the better owners in the league. I just wish he’d quit screwing around and either take over baseball ops or stay the hell out of the kitchen. Either spend to win or stop promising he’s trying to. Stop talking about ‘needing some jewelry’ when he only half commits. 

I’d rather he let us tank so we actually have a shot than just be average every year. 

Tank? 

Good Lord 

18 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

To me what Arte was saying is that there are frontline starters who aren’t available at all right now but who may be available in the summer if their teams are out of it. 

And he doesn’t want to get any more back end starters, which is apparently what he thinks of Stripling. 

Jeff:  Assuming the media reports were accurate, why would you be in serious discussions with the Dodgers about Stripling if he feels that way?