• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Arte: "Our hope is to acquire a top starting pitcher via trade during the season"

mmc

Just now, Rally Gorilla said:

Because....top starting pitching gets cheaper during the season?  

It can go either way.  If a team that was previously hesitant to move their top starter for anything short of a massive overpayment because their intention was to compete this season is out of it at the deadline, they might be more inclined to move that pitcher.  Though if they end up being in a playoff spot or just outside, their value will likely go up.

7 minutes ago, Bronson said:

Hmmmm very interesting. Don’t see how you get a front end arm without giving up Adell or gutting the farm.

It's possible that some of our prospects, that other clubs did not value as highly, step it up and prove themselves worthy of a higher value. Or, they may become more expendable if others step it up in our organization. Our surplus of Of prospects could have plenty of value. 

If Adams busts loose in A+/AA this season, that could open up dealing either Marsh or Adams, because you can't have by 2022 Trout, Adell, Marsh and Adams manning three OF spots.

Just make sure to NOT trade Marsh or Adams for a rental this season, or even one who becomes a FA after 2021.    Years of control is a key.

Edited by Angel Oracle

1 minute ago, tdawg87 said:

Go for Clevinger. He's exactly what they need and theoretically he'll come at a lower cost now due to his injury.

I don't see Boyd as the answer. Gray is a maybe.

I doubt it, he's only going to miss 6-8 weeks

At the trade deadline we saw what it would take to acquire a pitcher who had some club control. Then we saw what it cost in FA to get a guy who is considered an ace or to have that potential. No matter what it’s going to cost you unless it’s a rental. Even then pitching is always at a premium and there’s no shortage of teams looking. 

35 minutes ago, Bronson said:

Don’t see how you get a front end arm without giving up Adell or gutting the farm.

I had the same thought. While a starting pitcher might be less expensive as the season goes along, especially if a team falls out of contention and they have a guy in the last year of his deal, he won't be given away.

Along those lines, I'm wondering what kind of year that David Price is going to have for the Dodgers. I'm guessing that he won't be $34M worth of good.

26 minutes ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

I had the same thought. While a starting pitcher might be less expensive as the season goes along, especially if a team falls out of contention and they have a guy in the last year of his deal, he won't be given away.

Along those lines, I'm wondering what kind of year that David Price is going to have for the Dodgers. I'm guessing that he won't be $34M worth of good.

Price would take care of any hope of winning a short playoff series

It’s entirely possible that Eppler went to Arte and said he had the pieces to swing a trade for Pederson and Stripling now, or he could wait and pull the trigger - maybe using some of the same pieces later in the year - for a frontline arm. 

Could be Eppler was fine proceeding either way and wanted the boss to weigh in and be the swing vote, or wanted to check in on how a trade now or midseason could affect the payroll and money he has to work with. Eppler knows his job is on the line, why not tap into the guy who will decide his fate for his thoughts if Eppler is comfortable with either decision?

Everything doesn’t have to be a conspiracy or a sign of drama.