• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels have had no talks with Simmons about a contract extension

mmc

I’m in the “if the Angels can’t get a premium pitcher for a deep postseason run, I am not all that freaked out about the Angels having just a serviceable, solid shortstop on an 85 win team instead of a defensive freak like Simmons” group.

Wait and see how Simmons is, wait and see how this team does winning wise, and wait and see what pitchers can be acquired to raise the team ceiling to WS contenders.

I'm in the "Unless we are seriously planning on making a move to acquire Francisco Lindor and sign him long-term, it is best to extend the best defensive player in baseball now, rather than waiting for free agency where another team can snag him up, and then wait for Arol Vera or Kyren Paris to develop and take over 3-4 years down the line" camp.

Those of you stating "Let's see how he looks this year" are not recognizing the fact that even if he is like he was last year, he is still the best defensive shortstop in baseball and still hits decently well and will likely have a slight rebound offensively.

Of course if you are a fan of offensive shortstops, there is a crop of them coming in 2 years but you will be screaming at the clouds every time one of them bumbles a routine grounder.

For me, I will take the premium defensive player every time, all the time at shortstop.

1 hour ago, ettin said:

I'm in the "Unless we are seriously planning on making a move to acquire Francisco Lindor and sign him long-term, it is best to extend the best defensive player in baseball now, rather than waiting for free agency where another team can snag him up, and then wait for Arol Vera or Kyren Paris to develop and take over 3-4 years down the line" camp.

Those of you stating "Let's see how he looks this year" are not recognizing the fact that even if he is like he was last year, he is still the best defensive shortstop in baseball and still hits decently well and will likely have a slight rebound offensively.

Of course if you are a fan of offensive shortstops, there is a crop of them coming in 2 years but you will be screaming at the clouds every time one of them bumbles a routine grounder.

For me, I will take the premium defensive player every time, all the time at shortstop.

Like we got offense. More then enough. Simmons complements our lineup quite nicely honestly. It’s not like he’s a complete scrub at the plate. He will at least get you a .260 average with 7-10 dingers with a high contact rate. 

It’ll be interesting to see how Simmons ages as his career goes on. Ozzie Smith is obviously a close comp to what Simmons could look like as he ages, and Smith didn’t have a negative WAR season until he was 40, bouncing back with another positive WAR season at the age of 41.

Ozzie Smith had a career OPS+ of 90, so if Simmons could hit somewhere around league average while maintaining high level defense, he could prove to be extremely valuable even as he ages.

Depending on health and how he does this year, I wouldn’t mind giving him something like a 4/55-60 million contract with an option for a 5th year.

6 hours ago, ettin said:

i think there is a happy medium to be discussed between simmons or the worst ss of all time hyperbole.

everybody here likes simmons and what he brings to the team. most would like to keep him. he's not going to sign a multiyear extension coming off an injury plagued 2019 because it doesn't represent his body of work. the angels aren't going to offer him a multiyear contract right now because they're worried 2019 may be more than a blip. if he has a bounce back year and both parties are open to it, maybe he signs an extension towards the end of the year. in all other scenarios he tests FA, and both parties go from there.