• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What needs to happen next season for you to consider it a success?

mmc

What do you feel needs to happen next season for the Angels for, in your mind, the season to be considered a success?  For me, the Angels need to be in the running for the WC, and be eliminated from postseason contention no sooner than the last week of the season.  Canning needs to become a #3 starter or better, and one of Suarez or Sandoval needs to prove they can handle a full season of being a productive major league starter.  Stassi or Castro needs to show they’re good enough to be a starting catcher (extend Castro if he does) and if not, we need to acquire a long term solution at the position in the offseason.  Teheran and Bundy need to be average major league starters at worst, and assuming what I said about being in the playoff hunt is true, we need to be buyers in July.  What will make next season a success in your mind?

2 minutes ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

They need to make the playoffs. No excuses.

I sort of feel the same way I just don’t think playoffs is a realistic thought right now.  There’s just too many good WC contenders in the AL, and I just don’t think our rotation is good enough to compete.  I should add that if what I put in my OP turns out to be true, we absolutely have to follow it up with going all in on pitching in the offseason, no more Teheran or Bundy type crap, for me to really feel confident about the future.  Else, the 2020 season will have been for nothing.

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

At this point if the Angels don't suck I will consider that a success.

Well yes, but I think everyone has a different definition of “suck” so you need to elaborate a bit.  Like if the Angels are a 84 win game, that would still be their best record in a long time, which some people might be happy with, but I would consider that to still be a pretty bad record.

With Trout, Pujols, Rendon, Upton and Simmons salaries (five guys) adding up to $128,738,096 the Arte clock is ticking to make the playoffs.

At the very least they need to finish higher than the entire $92M A's team. You can't roll out your $174M team and lose again right?

Edited by RendZone

there are two important things I'd like to see happen this year.  

1.  that the stop gap type players who are supposed to make the major league team more competitive this year actually perform well or at least capably.  Teheran, Bundy and Castro in particular.  

2.  The kids take a solid step forward.  

Essentially, we need some proof that the plan is going to work at the major league level even if it doesn't happen this year.  We need proof that Eppler can make solid choices to fill out the year to year roster with helpful players.  We need proof that the youth movement and the players they've chosen to lead that are going to translate.  

If I had to translate that into wins then I would have to see at least 85 but there are obvious situations where that could be disappointing or impressive.  So to tie it to wins is tough.  

I would, though, think it's reasonable to expect that we're playing meaningful games in September.  

If we win less than 90, it’ll be a bit disappointing, but a lot will just depend on context. 85 wouldn’t sting too bad if it’s injury related or something like that and if we see real growth from the young guys. 

Ideally we’re in the playoffs, but I don’t want to get ahead of things. We really need to at least be close in September. 

1 hour ago, mymerlincat said:

I sort of feel the same way I just don’t think playoffs is a realistic thought right now.  There’s just too many good WC contenders in the AL, and I just don’t think our rotation is good enough to compete.  I should add that if what I put in my OP turns out to be true, we absolutely have to follow it up with going all in on pitching in the offseason, no more Teheran or Bundy type crap, for me to really feel confident about the future.  Else, the 2020 season will have been for nothing.

If what you say in the OP happens then it’s proof that Teheran and Bundy aren’t crap.  

For me it’s about taking the next step.  If the team is healthy they’ll win 85 plus games.  
So for me the next step is not just win total but also development steps.  If Adell comes up and is in the running for rookie of the year it shouldn’t be ignored that Eppler is building something.  If Canning takes the next step it shouldn’t be ignored.  If Marsh, Adams and the others are more valuable than they were this off season that’s a step. If Ohtani is dominant on the mound that can’t be ignored.   If Teheran and Bundy pitch better that’s a nice step.  And yes if we are playing well at the deadline I expect them to add pitching, even if it stings within reason.   That doesn’t mean trade Marsh for a rental.    
What can’t happen is another losing season.  

Pretty much what  Doc said, but I'll boil it down to two things:

1. Young players continue to develop, both on the major league club and in the minors.

2. The Angels are playing meaningful games in September.

That's pretty much it. No specific win total, no November 1st result. Just improvement in the long-term composition of the ballclub (young homegrown talent developing) and relevance towards the end of the year.

If starting pitchers staff is about average.  Ohtani pitches like an Ace and Canning develops into a three.  And I am hoping Barria pitches like he did as a rookie.

If. The offense hits like it's supposed to

If one of Walsh, Thaiss, or Ward turn into am average Mlb player

And if our bullpen is among the best in the league 

Then we can make the playoffs.

There ate a lot of ifs in there.  However 2002 taught me to not give up on a season until they are out of it!

Things I'd consider a succss...

88+ wins

The successful graduations of Jo Adell, and maybe Brandon Marsh.

Ohtani remains injury free.

140 quality innings from Canning, 100 from Sandoval.

A healthy season from Chris Rodriguez.

Arte let's the GM actually GM.

If all those things happen....  Happy fun time.