• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Where is Puig? We cannot have Goodwin as Opening Day RF!

Orton

I would be fine signing him, but at a cost where if it didn’t work out based on his clubhouse presence, he could simply be released and that would be the end of it.  He is capable of a nice season, but he is basically a 2 WAR player that is a couple of years removed from being a plus defender.  If you can get him for $3-4 million and trade off Goodwin, sure, why not.  At the same time he is just depth that would be better than Hermosillo.  

I'm a bit concerned that Goodwin can't repeat what he did last year and that RF will be a problem early in the year.  I would have liked to see them get a decent vet 4th OFer as a backup.  I also wouldn't mind see a bit of David Fletcher in RF here and there.  Get Rengifo so ABs.  Throw La Stella at 2b or 3b once in awhile.  Give Rendon a few DH days.  

the last person I want on this team is Puig. 

Speaking only for myself, as one who has also suggested this, Goodwin has never been a regular.  The fact that he excels in a reserve / 4th role doesnt always mean he can just be an every day starter.  Comparing this 2 using WAR etc... isnt necessarily apples to apples.
Further, it isnt about just that, but also, what happens if Upton has another freak toe injury or some other silliness, youre looking at Hermosillo or something back here till one of the kids are ready. 
Hes had issues ,true, but no one is going to act the fool around Pujols/Trout, no one. 
I would be 100% ok with this, worse case sceario you trade him at the deadline or whenever ADell or Marsh are actually ready.
Hate the guy all you want, butt it isnt a terrible idea from a purely baseball perspective. 

8 minutes ago, floplag said:

Speaking only for myself, as one who has also suggested this, Goodwin has never been a regular.  The fact that he excels in a reserve / 4th role doesnt always mean he can just be an every day starter.  Comparing this 2 using WAR etc... isnt necessarily apples to apples.
Further, it isnt about just that, but also, what happens if Upton has another freak toe injury or some other silliness, youre looking at Hermosillo or something back here till one of the kids are ready. 
Hes had issues ,true, but no one is going to act the fool around Pujols/Trout, no one. 
I would be 100% ok with this, worse case sceario you trade him at the deadline or whenever ADell or Marsh are actually ready.
Hate the guy all you want, butt it isnt a terrible idea from a purely baseball perspective. 

Goodwin was literally a regular last season. And he had a better year than Puig.

12 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Just to be clear, I don’t think the Angels need Puig.  But he’s a pretty good player with good tools who could potentially break out.  If they brought on a good player below his market value then cool.  I’m fine with it. 

I just don’t buy the Yasiel is going to poison the club house stuff. 

Well you'd think if he wasn't a negative clubhouse influence then someone would have signed him by now.

10 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Just to be clear, I don’t think the Angels need Puig.  But he’s a pretty good player with good tools who could potentially break out.  If they brought on a good player below his market value then cool.  I’m fine with it. 

I just don’t buy the Yasiel is going to poison the club house stuff. 

Well hopefully he ends up in the NL. He's slashing .467 / .556 / .649 / 1.356 vs Julio Teheran