• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Which one of our starters posts the highest WAR next season?

mmc

Highest WAR among our starting pitchers?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Highest WAR among our starting pitchers?

• Ohtani
    • Heaney
    • Bundy
    • Teheran
    • Canning
    • Sandoval
    • Pena
    • Suarez
    • Peters
    • Other (say who in your response)

I think we all agree that Ohtani is by far our best starter, but because his playing time will be limited next season, I don't see him necessarily being the most productive.  Which one of our starters do you think will produce the most next season?

I put Canning. WAR likes pitchers who are K guys, and a lot of our pitchers are guys who are going to rely on the defense and have to out pitch their peripherals. I also think which flavor of WAR you use. Ones based more on expected results will certainly favor the strike out guys while a guy like Teheran could be really productive without the WAR to back it up.

34 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

I put Canning. WAR likes pitchers who are K guys, and a lot of our pitchers are guys who are going to rely on the defense and have to out pitch their peripherals. I also think which flavor of WAR you use. Ones based more on expected results will certainly favor the strike out guys while a guy like Teheran could be really productive without the WAR to back it up.

Yea, I like this one a lot actually.  For some reason I was thinking of Heaney, Teheran, Bundy and Ohtani and never considered Canning.  You very well could be right on this choice.  

Ohtani, Heaney, Bundy, or Canning are the only four I think have a shot at it. Each one has a big question mark against them, though.

How effective will Ohtani be coming back from TJS and how valuable can he be with a limited inning count?

Can Heaney stay healthy?

How much will getting out of the AL East and having a new pitching coach help Bundy?

Can Canning take the next step?

I’m gonna say Canning ends up with the most pitching WAR, but that’s just a guess. 

Really hard to predict. Ohtani, Heaney, Bundy, Canning, and maybe Sandoval (if he gets the playing time) could all produce 2-3 WAR. If healthy.

If healthy.

If....

healthy.

Of course Suarez could figure it out and be a big surprise. Teheran's peripherals are too mediocre. Ohtani has the highest potential, of course, but also has the lowest inning cap (120?). So I'd guess one of Heaney, Bundy, or Canning. Bundy?

23 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Really hard to predict. Ohtani, Heaney, Bundy, Canning, and maybe Sandoval (if he gets the playing time) could all produce 2-3 WAR. If healthy.

If healthy.

If....

healthy.

Of course Suarez could figure it out and be a big surprise. Teheran's peripherals are too mediocre. Ohtani has the highest potential, of course, but also has the lowest inning cap (120?). So I'd guess one of Heaney, Bundy, or Canning. Bundy?

The only thing Suarez will figure out is where the next buffet is. He has very little chance of being an effective MLB pitcher. 

16 minutes ago, TroutCron said:

The only thing Suarez will figure out is where the next buffet is. He has very little chance of being an effective MLB pitcher. 

He's 22. He's not going to be a frontline guy but he absolutely can be a solid 4/5 guy in a couple years. We have him under control until 2026, so there's plenty of time.