• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Dylan Bundy looks to take a step forward with Angels

AngelsWin.com

TEMPE, Ariz. — Ask Joe Maddon why he is optimistic Dylan Bundy can be better with the Angels than he was with the Baltimore Orioles, and the Angels manager refers to what he knows from his nine years managing the Tampa Bay Rays.

Maddon suggested getting out of the American League East is worth knocking a whole run off a pitcher’s ERA.

“It’s a different animal there,” Maddon said Thursday. “Pitching in Baltimore, that ballpark is very hitter friendly. Yankee Stadium is very hitter friendly. Boston is very hitter friendly, and Toronto is the most hitter friendly. Maybe Tampa Bay is legit. He’s been pitching in spots that are really difficult. I’m curious to get him more at sea level out there, playing games in our ballpark. Let’s just see how it plays out, because I like his stuff.”

Bundy brings a career 4.79 ERA to the Angels. That includes a 4.49 ERA in Baltimore, 7.91 at Yankee Stadium, 4.34 at Fenway Park and a surprising 3.89 in Toronto.

In Anaheim, he has a 7.64 ERA in 17 2/3 innings, obviously pitching against the Angels.

“That lineup I’ve had to face a few times, and you add (Anthony) Rendon to it, it’s a tough one,” Bundy said. “I’d rather be in front of them. Behind them, I guess. I was in front of them and it wasn’t good.”

Opponents and ballparks aside, Bundy has a chance to be better because of a mechanical tweak he made toward the end of last season.

“I started going over my head around the All-Star break, somewhere around there, and it got the tempo better,” Bundy said. “It made my pitches more consistent on a day in, day out basis, I think.”

While Bundy may have felt better, the numbers weren’t. He had a 4.65 ERA in the first half and a 4.97 ERA in the second half. Statcast metrics that measure the quality of contact he allowed also weren’t changed much.

Bundy also reduced his percentage of four-seam fastballs, in favor of more two-seamers, late last season. But he said that’s not necessarily a trend he plans to continue.

“I think in the second half I started throwing a couple more two-seamers, but I wouldn’t say I did it on purpose,” he said. “The hitters weren’t hitting certain pitches, so I started to throw it more. The biggest factor is if the hitters are hitting it, don’t throw it. Throw something else. The hitters always let you know if it’s working or not.”

The Angels certainly hope the right adjustments are still out there for Bundy, who is still just 27.

The fourth overall pick in the 2011 draft, Bundy reached the majors a couple months before his 20th birthday in 2012. Since then, he’s mostly been soaking up innings and learning for Orioles teams that weren’t very good.

What he’s done best lately is stay on the mound. Bundy has averaged 30 starts and 168 innings over the past three years. Injuries have shredded the Angels pitching staff for the past few years, with only two pitchers in the past three seasons reaching 30 starts. Andrew Heaney did it in 2018 and Ricky Nolasco in 2017.

Bundy said he’s learned how to manage himself physically to get through a season. And he continues to tweak it, with a more rigorous throwing program this winter that he hopes will help him get off to a quick start.

“We’ll see,” he said. “I feel great so far.”

View the full article

17 minutes ago, AngelsWin.com said:

TEMPE, Ariz. — Ask Joe Maddon why he is optimistic Dylan Bundy can be better with the Angels than he was with the Baltimore Orioles, and the Angels manager refers to what he knows from his nine years managing the Tampa Bay Rays.

Maddon suggested getting out of the American League East is worth knocking a whole run off a pitcher’s ERA.

Bitch, please.