• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jose Soriano underwent Tommy John Surgery, will miss 2020 season

mmc

2 minutes ago, ettin said:

So the good news is that the Angels may not have to protect him in November since it seems improbable that another team will want to grab him in the Rule 5 and keep him on their roster for all of 2021.

Bad news is that this almost assurdly relegates him to a bullpen role call up in mid or late 2021. Although some here wanted him to be a starter his high walk rate (lower level competition) in A-ball wasn't exactly conducive to being called up to the Majors before November to throw out of the rotation. Before the TJS he was on a mid to late 2020 call up to the Major League bullpen.

Could he have converted back to a starter in 2021 and beyond? Sure if he tames the walk rate. Now, when he returns from TJS he will be on an innings limit next season and may be a bubble candidate for next years Rule 5 in Nov. 2021, based on performance.

I hope he makes it!

Have to ask, because of another former MiLB starter almost two decades back, who when moving to the pen dominated for the next 5-6 years here.

How does his stuff compare to K-Rod's at a similar point?  

54 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Have to ask, because of another former MiLB starter almost two decades back, who when moving to the pen dominated for the next 5-6 years here.

How does his stuff compare to K-Rod's at a similar point?  

Hmmm... I think Soriano has the potential to be similar in a bullpen role but K-Rod was better at a younger age in the Majors. Those first five seasons, K-Rod was completely missing bats (he averaged something close to .170 Batting Average Against) and his run prevention (LOB%) was strong. Jose could approach that ability but I am not quite sure he gets to that level of dominance that K-Rod did for the Angels.

My big thing is this about Soriano: He is only 21 years old (for reference K-Rod was 20 years old when he pitched in the Majors in 2002) but he still has not risen above A-ball. In fact he was in A-ball in 2018 and repeated in 2019. The competition level there is well below what he will encounter in A+, AA, or AAA, much less the Majors. For his development path combined with his Rule 5 status he really needs more time to develop as a starter (like another couple of years probably) which is why the only open role for him on the Major League roster is out of the bullpen, which is why I keep harping on that because his only likely available home is in relief or in trade. Now that he has gone under the knife, the bullpen will be his goal in 2021 with the hope that he has a good season and the Angels bring him up to not only protect him on the 40-man but to also help the Major League squad potentially. Long term he could move to a multi-innings role or even revert to a rotation spot but that takes time in my opinion. They could of course add him to the 40-man and simply run him up the Minor League levels but I am not sure the Angels can afford to do that with a 40-man roster spot. I could be wrong of course.

Interesting question AO!