Jose Soriano underwent Tommy John Surgery, will miss 2020 season

28 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

Sucks for a young kid like this to have to get this big of a surgery. Hopefully he can recover fast and this will just be a bump in his career. 

I agree with this. I feel way more bad for him than I do for the Angels. I highly doubt he was going to make an impact this season.

So the good news is that the Angels may not have to protect him in November since it seems improbable that another team will want to grab him in the Rule 5 and keep him on their roster for all of 2021.

Bad news is that this almost assurdly relegates him to a bullpen role call up in mid or late 2021. Although some here wanted him to be a starter his high walk rate (lower level competition) in A-ball wasn't exactly conducive to being called up to the Majors before November to throw out of the rotation. Before the TJS he was on a mid to late 2020 call up to the Major League bullpen.

Could he have converted back to a starter in 2021 and beyond? Sure if he tames the walk rate. Now, when he returns from TJS he will be on an innings limit next season and may be a bubble candidate for next years Rule 5 in Nov. 2021, based on performance.

I hope he makes it!