• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jo Adell with a shot to claim starting RF job out of ST?

Chuck

6 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

You are nuts if you think Pujols is not starting opening day at 1B.

Well he could if we're facing a lefty, but since we're going up against Verlander we may see La Stella and if I were a betting man I'd put my money on La Stella getting more AB's than Pujols this season.

4 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Well he could if we're facing a lefty, but since we're going up against Verlander we may see La Stella and if I were a betting man I'd put my money on La Stella getting more AB's than Pujols this season.

I want the best players on the field regardless of contracts, so you don’t have to convince me.

I am just thinking on the all mighty sacred “opening day” if Pujols is healthy he is gonna be in the lineup, even if the overall plan is to reduce his time this year.

31 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

They could have done it with Trout as well...the only reason he started 2012 late with the team was due to illness:

"Mike Trout showed up in spring training in 2012 with a mysterious illness. He had lost 15 pounds and was too weak to play in the initial Cactus League games. The Angels described the illness as a type of flu bug or virus. Trout was taking medication although doctors could not pinpoint the exact condition, after ruling out a thyroid disorder or Valley Fever. The result was that his chances of making the big league team shrank to nothing, and he was assigned to the AAA Salt Lake Bees to start the season."

https://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Mike_Trout 

Wasn't Trout called up in august the year before?

34 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

and it should be..

Sure, but that has its good and bad points.

We fans have this insatiable need to see something happen sooner rather than later.  Adell is coming. He's going to be awesome. That doesn't mean it's going to happen today.

Does he have a shot? Of course. Is it likely? I don't know why we have to answer that question. Let's just watch it play out.

Just now, True Grich said:

Sure, but that has its good and bad points.

We fans have this insatiable need to see something happen sooner rather than later.  Adell is coming. He's going to be awesome. That doesn't mean it's going to happen today.

Does he have a shot? Of course. Is it likely? I don't know why we have to answer that question. Let's just watch it play out.

Yeah dude, it's got be organic yo! 

9 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Jeez negative Nancy....What if he hits 25 homeruns in 12 games instead of getting hurt?

I generally hope Spring Training injuries are held to a minimum.  We need a break in the overall injury rate across the whole season.  This is a good team with some depth, there is nothing to be negative about, but key injuries will derail any team quicker than just about any other factor.  We are not quite there yet on having consistent quality throughout the top 50 players in the organization, like the Dodgers for instance.

5 minutes ago, tomsred said:

I generally hope Spring Training injuries are held to a minimum.  We need a break in the overall injury rate across the whole season.  This is a good team with some depth, there is nothing to be negative about, but key injuries will derail any team quicker than just about any other factor.  We are not quite there yet on having consistent quality throughout the top 50 players in the organization, like the dodgers for instance.

If the dodgers/braves/yankees prospects went to the pirates they wouldn't be ranked in the top 100. 

La Stella is not a 1st Baseman. I don't think he'll be the primary guy at 1st. In his last year in Chicago, he hit to a .672 OPS. He did well last year, but... He's not going to be the primary guy at 1st. He's actually started 73 games in 2019 (and yes he missed a lot with injury), which was the highest since his rookie year in Atlanta.

I do not expect him to start more than 85 games between 2nd, 3rd, and a yes a bit at first. I figure Fletcher to get the majority of the starts at 2nd, say around 100 and La Stella to get the remainder. Then he'll play a few at 3rd, when Rendon is DHing or is off, and a few at 1st, plus a few at DH himself. Fletcher likely gets a little time in the OF, 15-20 games at SS, and starts around 125-135 games.

Both Jared Walsh and Matt Thaiss will be trying for that primary 1B role, to platoon with Pujols. Walsh can play the OF, too, and pitch, which gives him the edge.

Thaiss hit .274 / .390 / .477 / .867 OPS in SLC last year. He doesn't have the Power that Walsh showed...yet.

Walsh hit .325 / .423 / .686 / 1.109 OPS in SLC last year with 36 HR in 98 G. He also pitched 5 innings of 1.80 ERA ball out of the pen for the Angels.

I know neither of these guys hit spectacularly well in their first taste of major league action, but I think this year will be different.

2 hours ago, SoPas Angel said:

Even if he looks great?

Looking great .vs A and AA pitchers and MLB guys throwing one of three pitch types is meaningless.  People here had Taylor Lindsey displacing Howie after a hot spring.  Adell has a lot of swing and miss to his game, he can use some AAA time.

12 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Looking great .vs A and AA pitchers and MLB guys throwing one of three pitch types is meaningless.  People here had Taylor Lindsey displacing Howie after a hot spring.  Adell has a lot of swing and miss to his game, he can use some AAA time.

I tend to agree with you. 43 strikeouts in 121AB in AAA indicates a guy who needs more time there. I was just asking, if he looks great in ST, what do they do?